Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1998 Camry V6 Automatic Differential

Eclipsed4ever

Hi all.

I'm using an automatic gearbox from a 1998 Toyota Camry V6 for an offroad project, and I need a replacement differential unit. Are there any other toyotas which share the same differential unit itself as the A540? The rest of the gearbox is fine so don't really need the rest, but would buy the whole gearbox if needed.

Any help greatly appreciated!

31 minutes ago, Eclipsed4ever said:

Hi all.

I'm using an automatic gearbox from a 1998 Toyota Camry V6 for an offroad project, and I need a replacement differential unit. Are there any other toyotas which share the same differential unit itself as the A540? The rest of the gearbox is fine so don't really need the rest, but would buy the whole gearbox if needed.

Any help greatly appreciated!

If it has the A540E then I assume its a very late XV10 Camry.  The A540E was fitted to:

• 1988–1998 Camry (V6)
  • 1992–1993 Lexus ES300
  • 1998–2000 Sienna
  • 1996 Camry prominent

It came out of a V6 camry with the 1MZ-FE engine. I gather they're a popular engine swap for MR2's and things?

Struggling to find any cars being broken at the moment. Does anyone have any leads?

I take it you have stripped the box down and inspected it ?

On a 98 that would makes it a A541E (96 onwards Camry - MCV20 OR SXV20 with the 1MZ-FE)

On 6/5/2020 at 6:00 PM, flash22 said:

I take it you have stripped the box down and inspected it ?

On a 98 that would makes it a A541E (96 onwards Camry - MCV20 OR SXV20 with the 1MZ-FE)

The issue is... when we install FWD gearboxes into offroad cars, we generally weld up the differential unit and turn the whole thing 90° in the car. This gives us permanent drive to the front and rear axles. When I welded mine up, one of the outputs wasn't quite straight, so now I have a wobble. The gearbox itself is fine, just I really now need to replace the carrier and weld the next one straight.

Here's a few photos that might help identify the box - a 1998 car with a 1MZ-FE is what I was told it came out of. Are there any identification numbers on them at all?

And what it's going into...

IMG_20200605_180811.jpg

IMG_20200605_180830.jpg

IMG_20200605_180848.jpg

IMG_20200605_180857.jpg

IMG_20200605_180903.jpg

IMG_20200418_181730.jpg

iirc the info should be on the front edge of the gearbox as in fwd car

that looks interesting not sure about that seat tho

1 minute ago, flash22 said:

iirc the info should be on the front edge of the gearbox as in fwd car

that looks interesting not sure about that seat tho

Ah right. I'll have a look to see if I can find a code. Would be nice to know exactly what it is. 

Do any other gearboxes use the same diff carrier that I might be able to use. I think have a mid 90's corolla autobox here. Will check that one for a code to!

The Kirkey seats are actually very comfortable 😉 

What is the part number on the bright orange label on the prndl switch ?

Without being next to it, the best photo I have seems to have it ending in -23200

That's an excellent manual, thanks very much!

This is the same part number as on the orange label. 

Gear Selector Switch.jpg