Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid Spark Plug Change

Steve Whits

Just in the process of sorting out a new service plan and I've been offered an essential plan by a local dealership which is substantially cheaper than the Toyota plan.  It doesn't include pollen filter (I'm not bothered about that) or spark plugs which they have quoted as an extra £80 at it's 6 year service. The car has only just passed 30,000 and I'm quite capable of changing them myself (Eorocarparts are about £48).  Are they really necessary at 6 years with that mileage or is it ok to leave them until 60,000? Everything else with the plan is the same including fluids.

Toyota service intervals and service items are based on either time or mileage, whichever occurs first.

Depends whether you have purchased a Toyota extended warranty, which requires the car to be serviced within the Toyota dealer network in order to retain validity of the extended warranty.

If not, then  I would assess the condition of the plugs when the six year service is due, and replace accordingly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No extended warranty. I can’t see any negative in choosing the essentials servicing unless anyone else can 😀

If you're happy with the servicing and the cost, go for it. 

18 hours ago, Steve Whits said:

I'm quite capable of changing them myself (Eorocarparts are about £48).

I don't know which makes ECP have but try and replace like for like. e.g. Denso for Denso.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steve Whits said:

The car has only just passed 30,000 and I'm quite capable of changing them myself (Eorocarparts are about £48).  Are they really necessary at 6 years with that mileage or is it ok to leave them until 60,000?

I can't see much point in changing the plugs before 60,000 miles.

https://priuschat.com/threads/spark-plug-change-interval.203281/  This thread explains that 120,000 miles is the US interval, apart from California, at 150,000 miles.

Just in case you hadn't spotted this - the spark plug socket you will need (eventually) is an especially thin-wall one. It fits Toyotas and as it happens, Peugeot/Citroen and BMW/Mini with their 'Prince' engine, and some others too.  It is not expensive and not particularly hard to source.  This 3/8" drive one is typical:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bluwhale-Socket-8-Inch-Compatible-Mercedes/dp/B07YFXFB97/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=spark+plug+socket&qid=1591526665&quartzVehicle=138-258&replacementKeywords=plug+socket&sr=8-9

I already had a good selection of spark plug sockets, but none of them would fit this engine.

• Like 2

I’ve just changed the spark plugs for my 2015 Auris Hybrid TS myself. It has only done 46k miles but the plugs are worn. I’ve replaced them from carparts4less.co.uk with a size 14 socket to remove the spark plugs. I’ve replaced the plugs with NGK Laser Iridium. I’ve also changed the automatics gearbox transmission and front differential oil. Engine is running smoother.

• Like 3

I also have a 2015 Auris hybrid TS. On 28,000 miles. Have a service plan and 3 year warranty.

Will Toyota change the gearbox and diff oil as part of the service? Presume on a major service? Can you get a print out of exactly what has been done. Have the booklet with service stamps, but no other details.

Many thanks. James:thumbsup:

Transmission fluid is lifetime IIRC.

10 hours ago, Auris James said:

I also have a 2015 Auris hybrid TS. On 28,000 miles. Have a service plan and 3 year warranty.

Will Toyota change the gearbox and diff oil as part of the service? Presume on a major service? Can you get a print out of exactly what has been done. Have the booklet with service stamps, but no other details.

Many thanks. James:thumbsup:

Dear James,

Regarding your gearbox and front differential oil change, it is optional as what MagicBoy has said. Toyota asked me why I want to change such oil in the first place. 

I told them that I find that the car seems to have irregular accelerations, coupled with slightly more petrol being consumed. 

When I was picking up the car after the gearbox and front differential oil change, they told me that it was a good job that I have changed the oil and not waiting for the next interval before changing. 

The job cost me £100 and I believe that it’s worth while. I’m not going to wait until Toyota mechanics think that it is time to change some parts of the gearbox oil and refill it like my old automatic 2008 Avensis 2.0. Most of the time they will wait until the oil gets black before changing them. I know it because there is a gearbox dip stick for the Avensis.

I love my Auris TS and I would like to keep it in top top condition. At the end of the day, it’s your choice if you want to do any service earlier than what has been stated in the service book. I’m glad that I have done it earlier. 

Best wishes.

EA6EA26F-5C50-4103-9FDE-164D4DF6A64E.jpeg

Edited by mavericke
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Avensis Valvematic, uses the same spark plugs, oil filter and grade, as some of the Auris model. Most of the procedures are the same. I have done my own servicing since owning the car, and recently changed the water pump. I change my spark plugs every so often, using genuine Denso plugs.
Here are my posts which could be relevant:- 

• Thanks 2

I don't know how deeply buried the Auris sparkplugs are but I use a 250mm long, unbranded socket like this one on eBay. Saves messing around with 3/8" extensions too. Note, this listing will not be the correct size!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAGNETIC-10mm-Spark-Plug-16mm-Socket-3-8-Drive-Extra-Long-THIN-WALL-250mm/360911896495?hash=item5408067faf:g:HJYAAMXQyY1TUkJi

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Auris James said:

I posted this topic a few years back.  Perhaps this will be of use?

The drained oil had some super-fine particulate in suspension, but as far as I could deduce, it wasn't ferrous - a very strong magnet didn't attract it at all after several weeks.

I have kept some of the old transmission oil - if someone wants to offer a free oil analysis of it, that would be fascinating!

The genuine Toyota WS-ATF is around £11 a litre from a Toyota dealer on eBay, probably similar from a dealer.  It isn't much more expensive than generic ATF, so there is not much point not using the genuine fluid.  The oil isn't hybrid-unique, it goes in most modern Toyota auto boxes.  There are 2 identical aluminium drain plug washers, which are about £3 each.

I think the photo makes the oil look a little more in need of a change than it was in the flesh.

I have done another Auris hybrid (first change) at about 55,000 miles, it looked similar.

Those hex/Allen bolts are very stiff to loosen initially!  I would think about get a tool that goes onto a regular socket set, to save bloodied knuckles when it 'cracks'  loose.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.:thumbsup:

I'll get Toyota to do it  when in for service/MOT.

Surprising how dirty it was! 

I want it to last! Should be included in a Major service.

James.