Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

High revving when braking 2010 TR27 1.8 Valvematic

Shavestick

Something odd started this week.

When I brake to stop the engine is revving up to 2300 rpm and when stopped go down to the usual tickover of 1000rpm.

Any ideas what can cause this?

I have had this recently and tried a few things. I tired the Toyota idle relearn, which needs to be done with the engine at normal operating temperature. There are a few YouTube videos on the subject, but not for manual cars. 
I recently changed the Battery resulting the low idle speed, then later had the high speed idle. Both times used the following trick to correct the idle. 

Get the car to normal operating temperature. Turn off all lights, heater/ A/C and accessories, then shut off the engine. Turn the key to on with the brake pedal pressed, but don't start the car and waited a few seconds then turned the car off. Then with the brake and clutch pressed, start the engine. Keep the brake pedal pressed for a while (the clutch pedal can be released. Wait for about 3 to 5 minutes. The engine should settle to a normal idle speed and relearn. Mine has behaved so far.

Hopefully this will work. 

• Like 1

Ive had this with mine too after changing the Battery, went away after driving to work and back, about 8 miles, also had error P1047 and U011B happen 4 weeks after changing the Battery too, which the garage I took the car too rang Toyota and they said its a common thing after a Battery change, cleared the code and 100 miles later all is fine 

• Like 1

I have had this recently and tried a few things. I tired the Toyota idle relearn, which needs to be done with the engine at normal operating temperature. There are a few YouTube videos on the subject, but not for manual cars. 
I recently changed the battery resulting the low idle speed, then later had the high speed idle. Both times used the following trick to correct the idle. 

Get the car to normal operating temperature. Turn off all lights, heater/ A/C and accessories, then shut off the engine. Turn the key to on with the brake pedal pressed, but don't start the car and waited a few seconds then turned the car off. Then with the brake and clutch pressed, start the engine. Keep the brake pedal pressed for a while (the clutch pedal can be released. Wait for about 3 to 5 minutes. The engine should settle to a normal idle speed and relearn. Mine has behaved so far.

Hopefully this will work. 
Thanks Konard (as always).

Followed this and now sorted, did not noticed this behaviour since.

Battery is fairly new but will give it an output check tomorrow.

All the best
  • Thanks 1

I have a thought about the high revving when coming to a stop. Does anyone press the brake pedal before the starting on manual models? I ask this because I have done this a few times, and may have accidentally activated the idle learning process. I press the brake pedal to check the brake lights on my drive, viewing the reflection off the front room window. It's a habit I used on my previous Avensis. Doing it with a cold engine could be the cause. 
The car idle has behaved since I tried the fix. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links