Sign in to follow this  
aXeL_UK

Yaris NLP90 needs a new ECU

Hi,

I've got a 2005 1.4 D4D Yaris which keeps giving a P0487 ( It's not the EGR, Toyota fitted a new one ).  Various sensor inputs are giving the wrong readings when the car is driven with a monitor and Toyota have advised it's an ECU fault and needs to be replaced with the 'updated' version of the ECU.

Is this something you might have?

I don't know why you are using a main dealer on an older car, I would get a second opinion asap, a failed ecu is the dealers go to diag, there was an updated ecu (there is a tsb on the issue)

if you get a used ecu you will need to get it programmed

I would also check the throttle body is mechanically and electrically sound, Clean it, if it needs be

In this case the dealer 'is' the 2nd opinion, sorry I should've mentioned this.  Here's a bit more detail.  The TL;DR version is that there are too many abnormal readings from different sensors, as well as the recurrent fault code on a brand new EGR and wiring loom.  I've not played with Toyota ECUs, however I've worked with ECUs on other cars and my independent chap, Toyota and, from my own tests, we all, independently, concluded it's the ECU.  The TSB on this specific issue being a known problem is just the icing on the cake.