Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Disable Airbag ?

krai

Does anyone knwo how to disable the passenger airbag in my missus`s yaris, its x reg 1.4i.

I need to disable it in order to use a car baby carrier.

Or shouild I take to the dealer?

thanks

Aye you can...but I wouldn't recommend it...if you disable ANY safety feature of a car...and say you have an accident...and someone is seriously injured...you'd be liable.

There's warnings all over saying that you shouldn't have a babyseat in the front.

I belive this is still the case the same with the T3's...

Even if you got Totoya to disable it.... your insurance company will think all airbags are working...and imagine calling them///and saying you've disabled one....premium would go through the roof...more then liklely...they won't insure you.

Vipes

could you not put it in the rear seats, the air bag is there for safety

Does anyone knwo how to disable the passenger airbag in my missus`s yaris, its x reg 1.4i.

I need to disable it in order to use a car baby carrier.

Don’t do it.

It will end in tears.

could you not put it in the rear seats, the air bag is there for safety

Would seem the most sensible option if possible.

I thought it was a pretty standard thing in a lot of cars to be able to disable the passenger air bag for baby carriers??

my peugeot 106 quiksilver had a switch which u put the key in and turned it to disable the airbag for babyseats. suprised toyota dont do this!

thanks for replies,

the reason it has to go in front is because the mama and papa car seat wouldn`t fit in the rear when the guy in the shop tried it.

I rang up toyota today, who told me that there is no way of disabling it and I should buy one of their car seats instead !

I ill try the seat in the back again.

which yaris is 1.4?

the rear seats can slide

thanks for replies,

the reason it has to go in front is because the mama and papa car seat wouldn`t fit in the rear when the guy in the shop tried it.

I rang up toyota today, who told me that there is no way of disabling it and I should buy one of their car seats instead !

I ill try the seat in the back again.

Gotta love their sales technique!

And yes, you've either lost or gained about 100cc methinks?

which yaris is 1.4?

the rear seats can slide

Mine's a 1.4!

It must be a diesel.

The reubikats have isofix points, so good new kiddy seats should fit without problems...

A

sorry! my wifes car is a yaris 1.3 sr vti, not 1.4.

I will the the baby seat in the rear later, the baby car seat is primio vaggio from "mama and papas".

thanks

• 1 year later...

The M&P Prima Viaggio car-seat does fit in the rear seat if the rear seat is fully back and the front seat is not fully back.

Also the new Yaris has a switch to disable the passenger airbag.

However... we've got an old Yaris and need to fit two (!!) seats in, one front and one back.

I've just spoken to my local dealer, Toyota World, and Toyota Customer Satisfaction who all say they won't disable it ("liability issues").

Will anyone? Or even fit a switch so that it's like a new Yaris?

ta,

murkle

my peugeot 106 quiksilver had a switch which u put the key in and turned it to disable the airbag for babyseats. suprised toyota dont do this!

Indeed, the 306 I learnt to drive in had this too, and some other cars I have driven I am sure have similiar stuff, like a key goes in somewhere in the glove box to disable / enable the passenger airbag. Seems pretty handy :)

The M&P Prima Viaggio car-seat does fit in the rear seat if the rear seat is fully back and the front seat is not fully back.

Also the new Yaris has a switch to disable the passenger airbag.

However... we've got an old Yaris and need to fit two (!!) seats in, one front and one back.

I've just spoken to my local dealer, Toyota World, and Toyota Customer Satisfaction who all say they won't disable it ("liability issues").

Will anyone? Or even fit a switch so that it's like a new Yaris?

ta,

murkle

No, it should not be deactivated, as I said originally. your insurance will be void, and any accidents involving a pasenger and you'll be up for manslaughter charges in the worst case.

vipes

No, it should not be deactivated, as I said originally. your insurance will be void, and any accidents involving a pasenger and you'll be up for manslaughter charges in the worst case.

vipes

What is the basis for saying this? It doesn't seem consistent with the fact that you can deactivate airbags on newer models (or that they aren't a legal requirement).

Appreciate your thoughts!

Newer models is by design, older models and your tampering, same reason why Toyota won't even do it, as then they would

be liable.

is there a rule about bringing old threads back to life.

Its best not to disable the air bags

BTW welcome to the club

Look's like you're right. I found this:

Although there is no specific legal requirement for cars on the road to have an airbag, disconnection would be very much a last resort, since the airbag forms part of an overall safety package specifically designed for the particular vehicle. Therefore manufacturers do not generally recommend disconnecting airbags, although it may be appropriate in some exceptional circumstances.

In these cases it would be reasonable for a manufacturer to impose certain conditions before disconnecting an airbag, such as requiring replacement of the steering wheel and possibly the seat belt since these components may have been specifically designed and approved for use with an airbag. They may also require you to accept the responsibility for having the airbag disconnected and for any effect the disconnection may have on any other driver of the car. Of course, the airbag should be reconnected before the car is eventually sold. Finally, your insurance company should be consulted and kept informed.

at http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...ads_506855.hcsp

BTW welcome to the club

Thanks!

your insurance company may not be happy about it aswell

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I would use it as an excuse to get a new car ;)

Sorry I can't help ..... but it's one of those problems you hardly hear about!

it is a bit of a con though saying that you have to buy a seat from us - I would of thought they would have supplied you with a list of compatible seats.

Welcome to the club :thumbsup:

I would use it as an excuse to get a new car ;)

Sorry I can't help ..... but it's one of those problems you hardly hear about!

it is a bit of a con though saying that you have to buy a seat from us - I would of thought they would have supplied you with a list of compatible seats.

Daves paying

Look's like you're right. I found this:

Although there is no specific legal requirement for cars on the road to have an airbag, disconnection would be very much a last resort, since the airbag forms part of an overall safety package specifically designed for the particular vehicle. Therefore manufacturers do not generally recommend disconnecting airbags, although it may be appropriate in some exceptional circumstances.

In these cases it would be reasonable for a manufacturer to impose certain conditions before disconnecting an airbag, such as requiring replacement of the steering wheel and possibly the seat belt since these components may have been specifically designed and approved for use with an airbag. They may also require you to accept the responsibility for having the airbag disconnected and for any effect the disconnection may have on any other driver of the car. Of course, the airbag should be reconnected before the car is eventually sold. Finally, your insurance company should be consulted and kept informed.

at http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...ads_506855.hcsp

BTW welcome to the club

Thanks!

I said all this in June last year..course it's right!!

do people not read their insurance documentation before they sign??

Vipes

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links