Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I thought i had found a problem.

Phil White

My daughter has a 2017 1.2 turbo model and with me being a mechanic and MOT tester comes in handy. I have just carried out the first MOT on the vehicle and thought i had come across an issue. When switching the headlamps between dip and main beam there was no main beam functioning but the headlamp flash was working. 

I was not aware of the auto main beam that was activated so had to deactivate it to see it working in the normal manner.

I am not really sure of the purpose of an auto main beam though!!

Turns the main beam off when the safety sensor pack detects a car in front or a car coming the other way with its headlights on. As soon as it's clear main beam comes back on. I thought it was a gimmick at first, then tried it on the a-roads in the sticks when coming back from visiting family ... and it works well on the Auris.

Not tried it in the daytime though!

They are also prone to dip the lights when some road signs reflect the light brightly.

The auto main beam I had on a Mazda worked fine on A-roads but was rubbish on motorways, it didn't 'see' oncoming cars until much too late, the same with cars ahead of me, and it regularly dipped the beam for road signs and mile markers.  At least I think it was for mile markers, there wasn't anything else around.  And main beam just wasn't available in the slightest of steamed up windows.  I turned it off and used manual mode. 

Maybe Toyota ones are better, their auto wipers certainly are (it wouldn't be difficult to better the Mazda ones tho).

1 hour ago, Stivino said:

They are also prone to dip the lights when some road signs reflect the light brightly.

Can be overridden - change the main switch from Auto to dipped beam and it reverts back to a manual system.

3 minutes ago, MagicBoy said:

Can be overridden - change the main switch from Auto to dipped beam and it reverts back to a manual system.

You don't say!

• Haha 1

I do say. Not everyone around here read the manual. 😜

• Like 1

But if they've read alan33's post, they will know.

What, to read the manual? 🤣

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links