Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1997 Celica GT4 ST205 Need Help!!

Pierce G

Hello all from the other side of the pond! Let me start by introducing myself here on the forum. I am from Yukon, Canada and a long time bike/car enthusiast. Well here is the story. My son being a typical 19 yr old was desperate for something different. Well last year a a 1997 Toyota Celica GT4 JDM with 101000km came on the market. Owned by a local mechanic and imported into Canada in 2013 via BC Canada and then shortly after to the Great White North (Yukon, Territory); where it was driven only a few thousand miles over all those years. Many parts replaced including super strut suspension with adjustable BC Coilovers, timing belt and water pump just done and some other goodies before it finally sold to us (my son after having taken it for a test drive some 10 months earlier. I have to admit I loved it whenI took it for a drive but the practical aspects of the car as a daily driver I just couldn't justify. After 10 months of my son harping on me about not being happy with the 2018 Chevy Cruze RS turbo manual I bought with only 8000km to let him use as his other poor purchase all his own money (2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart  which has been sitting with a broken timing belt waiting on a mechanic to install reconditioned head etc) I finally broke down took it back to drive for myself and bought the GT4 (prie had dropped $1000 over the winter) telling him he was still on a payment plan. Not being around I had him bring it through a safety inspection, as well as a mechanical inspection where the mechanic said he could find anything wrong; not so much as even a oil leak. While I wasn't there (I teach in a small community about 420km from where my son lives in Whitheorse) and didn't talk to the mechanic in person; I did see the paperwork and all looked good. I (we) paid for the car and he immediately (the same day it was picked up) said he started hearing a noise on acceleration and turning. He looked under the car and took a short video which clearly is showing movement (free play) from the front lower control arm bushing ( FRONT RH LOWER BANANA ARM BUSHING). Are there bushings from any other common vehicle that will fit the 97 Celica GT4 ST205? I am beginning to suspect why the car was driven so little as parts are not easy to find, especially in North America. I ordered some bushings from the UK but it looks like they will take up to 40 days to get here, which means the car may sit all summer which will be exceedingly difficult for my son as he wasn't planning on even driving it in the winter. I see there  are new arms available in the UK with bushings fitted but they are almost $400 Canadian dollars for 1! Furthermore, It indicates from the eBay seller in the UK that it will still take about a month to get here.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Getting this car back on the road is a priority or at least it is for him.lol!  Thanks in advance everyone! Attached is the Japanese Carfax. The car pretty much is the same with the exception of suspension upgrade and I think a factory correct rally steering wheel. Overall really good shape with no rust. It is very dry where we live with no road salt and the car has been left idle every winter apparently.

1997 Toyota Celica GT4 Japanese Car Fax.pdf

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links