Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla auto accelerate

Chriss27

Hi has there been any record of the new Corolla auto accelerating ? My wife had a small bump going forward into car park where she states car accelerated by itself ?? I know there was an issue on older models am I right ? Now this issue with my car may have been driver error but just wanted to know any known issues.

if the engine had kicked it and was in drive with no foot covering the brake yes, its just one of those things

54 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Hi has there been any record of the new Corolla auto accelerating ? My wife had a small bump going forward into car park where she states car accelerated by itself ?? I know there was an issue on older models am I right ? Now this issue with my car may have been driver error but just wanted to know any known issues.

propably accelerated on accident while going over the bump. The force of your car going over the bump made your wife push the gas pedal on accident, it happens to me all the time.

The claimed unintended acceleration issue on older models which dates back to 2009/10, was in the US.

Despite extensive investigation by the NHSTA no fault was proven. In the US, Toyota did a recall to install mat clips in case the drivers mats had interfered with the accelerator pedal. There was also a worldwide recall on one of the two types of accelerator pedal (the assembly in question was manufactured by a company then owned by GM) to correct excess sideways movement of the pedal - a shim was installed.

To retain customer confidence in their products, Toyota GB introduced the 5 year/100,000 miles new car warranty from 1st June 2010, which we still have today.

• Like 1

When I said bump I meant it in terms bumped the car. Sorry if they wasn’t clear 

As flash22 (Bob) said, probably stopped in drive and the engine kicked in. Happened to me couple years ago. I determined it was not going to happen again, so now when stationary I ensure I put the brake on, as I should have done couple years ago.

I have seen the Dashcam footage and you can clearly see the car slowing down so if I understand you right it’s possible at this point it was in Battery mode and then the engine kicked in at the wrong time and caused the car to increase speed ?

Even with brake hold switched on, if you take pressure off the brake pedal before the orange 'hold' lights up, the car will move forward, engine running or not. I manoeuvre my car in and out of the garage without my seatbelt on (so brake hold doesn't work) and I have become very aware how easy it would be to have unintended movement.  I am surprised that the collision avoidance radar didn't scream and jam on the brakes.

Yes I was thinking why the safety sense didn’t kick in but guess it’s an additional help but no guarantee of no collision. 

Same with airbags, etc - if in a collision, and if the area where the sensors are located isn't impacted, the airbags may not deploy. 

Example: a member who owned an IQ hit the side of an artic trailer and the flat bed of trailer overrode the bonnet and impacted the windscreen/pillars. Airbags didn't deploy as the sensors in the radiator area weren't in the impact area.

Aside from that, isn't there a minimum speed where the pre-collision system will activate?

I am not sure frosty on that maybe another member can elaborate

Your wife could have turned on the cruise control by accident? If the car remembers it's previous setting, it would start to accelerste by it self. The cars auto-acceleration is actually pretty strong. 

16 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There's another automatic braking that occurs at very low speeds. It’s part of the SImple Intelligent Park Assist (‘SIPA’) system but also functions during manual parking. I’ve had it slam on the anchors whilst creeping towards my garage door when about a foot away.

I guess that in this case your wife was unfortunate enough to be travelling too slow for the one system and too fast for the other.

• Like 2

With the proximity sensors bleeping away, once you get a constant tone, the brakes slam on. At very low speed. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 11:38 AM, Geoff W said:

There's another automatic braking that occurs at very low speeds. It’s part of the SImple Intelligent Park Assist (‘SIPA’) system but also functions during manual parking. I’ve had it slam on the anchors whilst creeping towards my garage door when about a foot away.

I guess that in this case your wife was unfortunate enough to be travelling too slow for the one system and too fast for the other.

Yup I had that the first couple of days parking in my garage. I also got it a week ago when parking at my golf club. It was a bit windy and it blew the branch of a bush toward my car which triggered the emergency STOP.

So say i am parking and i get a constant tone, my car will then trigger the emergency stop? I've never had that happen.... Could this be a feature of the automatic parking you guys get in the uk(i'm guessing you don't have to actually use automatic parking but maybe there is some extra software that constantly monitors the cars distance)? I only have rear parking sensors and no front sensors 

On 6/10/2020 at 4:10 AM, nielshm said:

Your wife could have turned on the cruise control by accident? If the car remembers it's previous setting, it would start to accelerste by it self. The cars auto-acceleration is actually pretty strong. 

Unlikely. On the Auris you can't enable or resume it under 25mph.

Cruise control definitely works at 20 on Corolla not sure if it works any lower. I had an Auris and was frustrating you couldn’t set it at 20mph in 20moh zones. I think I had could get it to 28mph but no lower 

3 hours ago, MagicBoy said:

Unlikely. On the Auris you can't enable or resume it under 25mph.

I'll do a little test very soon. Adaptive cruise control works down to zero, and when traffic starts moving, the car accelerate by it self. I'm allmost sure, if the cruise control is re-enabled, it can make the car accelerate at very low speeds. 

It'd be useful to find out. The only car I've driven with adaptive cruise (which wasn't a Toyota) when deactivated you couldn't resume again until the minimum speed.

4 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

Cruise control definitely works at 20 on Corolla not sure if it works any lower. I had an Auris and was frustrating you couldn’t set it at 20mph in 20moh zones. I think I had could get it to 28mph but no lower 

It will go all the way down to zero and stop, once the traffic moves you just tap the accelerator and it will start to move and adjust it's speed according to the car in front.

Not sure if my Auris had adaptive cruise control it was a 2014 model pre face lift

10 minutes ago, Chriss27 said:

Not sure if my Auris had adaptive cruise control it was a 2014 model pre face lift

Auris cruise isn't adaptive. It will disengage if the autonomous braking gets triggered, as I discovered when a Taxi pulled out of a sideroad without looking and the car stopped itself as I was going for the brake pedal...

15 hours ago, Chriss27 said:

If the cruise is set and you stop then if you push the ‘resume’ button it’ll take off back to the original setting. I did it in traffic the other day - set at 30, braked to a stop, then pushed the button and off it went.