Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Part number confusion

Pwalk

Guys, I'd appreciate your help.

I needed to change alternator on my Yaris (2002) (see here).

I found a cheaper one on eBay advertised as second-hand but new, never used. I went by the description - TOYOTA YARIS MK1 1.0 16V Alternator 1999-2005 PETROL 1SZ-FE ALTERNATOR NONAIRCON.

I bought it, took it to the garage to fit and was told it's the wrong part.

Now, I don't know about car parts that much but would think that if the description fits my car (and it does) then it should be ok. Now, the seller said no returns, so I'm guessing I can fall back on eBay guarantee and claim my money back by proving the description was wrong. I don't know which number on this label (see attached) is the part number, but when I did a search for AE4244, exactly same looking part comes up and says it's for Ford (also one comes up for the first number, HA14244). Am I on the right track?

IMG_20200610_134020085.jpg

its been supplied wrong, its a ford item - check the original listing

The original listing has the description in the title and details as above, for Toyota.

It's from a private seller who said bought from garage but never used.

It's either a mistake or it's deliberate.

not your problem then, it should be £60-90

Does your vin start with JT or VNK ?

Thanks.

It's VNK. But what I actually want to do is how do I prove the listing description was misleading? I can only think of using the part number on it and proving it's actually a part for Ford.

I'm going to write to the seller first before contacting eBay, but I'm just preparing for the eventuality that he won't refund.

Ok. Suppose I open a dispute on eBay with the seller saying wrong part supplied. The seller says "no, it's right, it's for Toyota". What do I say to them? "No, it's not."? That may not be enough if I ask eBay to step in. See what I mean? I have to be able to provide proof.

Don't worry about it, don't open a dispute yet, just contact the seller say you was sent the wrong item and quote the Holst HA14244 part number, they are 2 totally different parts. The more aggressive you get with a seller the less likely they will assist you

95% of sellers will do the right thing, i have had very few problems on eBay in 18 years (1900+ items and 100% feedback score)

ps. the correct Holst part number is HA1455

be aware there are 3 different alternators for the 1.0

70A, 6 rib pulley

90A 6 rib pulley

90A 4 rib pulley

Brilliant thanks @flash22, will do that. I hope this was a genuine mistake on the seller's part.

Can I ask how/where do I find that the correct number is HA1455? Is there any way of knowing exactly which alternator I need to buy without taking the old one out first (as you say there are 3)? Do I search by VIN?

👍 👍 👍

I've messaged the seller. Will post here again if there are any issues.

Ok, so I'm sending it back.

I found this one on ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TO-FIT-TOYOTA-YARIS-MK1-1-0-1-3-16v-inc-VVTi-1999-2005-NEW-90A-ALTERNATOR-/164233126672

I'm trying to confirm if it would fit my car. No reference part numbers are provided, except it just says FOHRENBUHL FA5038. Contacted the seller but if they are unable to provide it, I'll again be buying from description only.

I tried to find another one like this, and found here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALTERNATOR-FA5038-OE-1022118010-TOYOTA-YARIS-1999-2005-/264758674770

Is it the same? Also says FA5038. This one has numbers but photo is different, but maybe it's just a different one for illustration?

Thanks.

imho i would pay the extra and get a new unit rather than a remanufactured unit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DENSO-Alternator-DAN962-BRAND-NEW-NOT-REMANUFACTURED-NO-SURCHARGE/161624090415?epid=15017010388&hash=item25a18be72f:g:wRUAAOSwqu9VBvKp

the picture is just a universal one

https://www.denso-am.eu/e-catalogue/

the Denso cross reference to the oem part number i give you

Thanks. The first one I posted is advertised as new and it's only £53. I'm reluctant to pay more really, the usual cost on new ones approaches 1/3 of the value of the car.😒

If I compare the manufacturer number with the numbers on the second one, it would seem it fits, but I have no guarantee. Waiting to hear from the seller.

The extra cost would imo be worth it as it is a Denso unit!