Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auris 2017 tilt alarm advice

Steven Maloney

Hi,

I'm having Cat Lock & Cat Clamp fitted. 

I also want a tilt alarm added to the existing factory alarm:

Question:

Has anyone else had just had a tilt sensor added, if so by who and how much £ ??

Has anyone fitted this themselves, if so where can I find easy to follow instructions?

Hi,thanks for the message, it is appreciated, and helpful.

i have seen tilt sensors that connect to the interior light circuit and trigger the alarm that way

thanks for the comment.

I just recently asked a local Toyota dealer for the price of the tilt sensor fitment for an Auris; this was the quote I received, so different from the item Sportse had fitted?:-

Alarm.thumb.png.9c32788c96899e93199889bbfc4ffaf8.png

I don't know what the differences are between these two tilt alarms.

Also, you might consider getting these 'anti tamper' exhaust manifold bolt caps fitted, they sound (verbal description from dealer) worthwhile:-

UntitledBolts.thumb.png.d5c2bca51b698546b9c81c17a563c49d.png

Perhaps there might be a discount if you had them installed together?

Hello Gerg,

Thanks for the input and advice appreciated.

After researching as best I could (including YouTube videos of people stealing the Catalytic converter in 60 seconds in broad daylight!) 

It appears the choices are:

1. Cat Lock, ( plate anchored to the vehicle chassis protecting the catalytic converter ) 

2. Cat Clamp: (stainless steel brackets and wire fitted to the catalytic converter and anchored to the underside of the vehicle)

3. Installation of tilt alarm. 

Upon further research, it appears the

1: Toyota supplied Cat Lock has failed to prevent theft of a catalytic converter in at least one instance, and after speaking to a garage with a lot of experience in effective catalytic converter theft protection "most of our customers come after they've had their catalytic converter stolen for the first time" ( CarMax Ltd, tel: 02036747100 )   let's just say they were not impressed with the Toyota supplied Cat Lock and believed it would be easy for a thief to circumvent.

2: it appears ( again explained by Carmax to me)  most Cat Clamps do not prevent a thief from accessing the bolts required to remove the catalytic converter, assuming they have overcome the actual clamp.

So yesterday I travelled to London, to CarMax Ltd, tel: 02036747100 while they fitted their version of the Cat Clamp, ( my catalytic converter - and removal bolts ) now have an amazing array of stainless steel cabling securing the catalytic converter to the car. In addition, they fitted their own custom designed Cat Lock plate, I inspected the work, and I'm very satisfied.

I paid £225.00 for all labour and parts used including VAT 

The garage claim they have fitted over 100 of these, and subsequently not had a single customer lose their catalytic converter. 

The garage also advised it would take a thief considerable time to remove the combined protection, suggested well over an hour! I am mechanically competent, and after inspecting the work carried out I agree. (Better than the current 60 seconds!) Remember the reason they are target in the first place is mostly because of how easily are to remove, once it gets considerably more difficult, complicated and time-consuming it increases the risk to the thief, and decreases the risk to the owner.

( PS: while I was there I had a good chat with another customer whose had his car for only a week and thieves had stolen the catalytic converter, he was gutted. The garage were replacing his cat, and fitting the above security) 

3: finally the tilt alarm, as we all know everybody ignores alarms, they have become a social nuisance. However I think there is still merit in having one fitted, especially if the vehicle is kept at home. So I shall go to my local Toyota dealer I believe I can have one properly fitted by them for around £250.

Summary:

if some scumbag thief is prepared to jack my car up, bring all the tools required, make one heck of a din while they try and cut, spend an hour and 1/2 in the process, then they are welcome to my cat, they have earned it!

In the meantime, I will drive, park, and sleep without worrying at all. 

And just in case anyone is wondering about,  CARMAX Ltd, other than travelling hundred and 30 miles to their garage yesterday and having the above work undertaken, I am not connected, nor received  any incentive to highlight the great work they have done. We should also give credit where credit is due. Good honest people, working hard, good service, I highly recommend them.

• Like 1

I just recently asked a local Toyota dealer for the price of the tilt sensor fitment for an Auris; this was the quote I received, so different from the item Sportse had fitted?:-

Also, you might consider getting these 'anti tamper' exhaust manifold bolt caps fitted, they sound (verbal description from dealer) worthwhile:-

The part numbers were the same for mine - 101 is the sensor and 201 the alarm horn.

Difference seems to be your invoice is showing a goodwill contribution.

Also slight difference in parts prices and the labour cost for mine was 135 Vs 110.

• 2 weeks later...

I followed the method and sensors used in this video some months ago with no problems

On 6/12/2020 at 9:31 AM, Gerg said:

Have Toyota finally released the tilt sensor alarm for the Auris now?

I emailed my local dealer back in March, they didn't have any news. 

Do you happen to know if it fits the 2014 Auris model?

The Toyota tilt alarm was already available before the quote above as given, but the exhaust manifold bolt anti-tamper fitment was only just about to be delivered to dealers at that time.

The quote was for a 2013 model, so should be the same as yours.

HTH.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gerg said:

The Toyota tilt alarm was already available before the quote above as given, but the exhaust manifold bolt anti-tamper fitment was only just about to be delivered to dealers at that time.

The quote was for a 2013 model, so should be the same as yours.

HTH.

Thanks for that. 

I've sent over a new email to my local dealer, asking for new/quotes. 

Have you had those things fitted? I see your quote was a round £100, though Sportse mentioned they paid £250, any reason for the large difference? Or am I reading things totally wrong lol

No, I haven't gone ahead and had a tilt alarm fitted yet, although I would still consider it.

I don't understand the price differences that people have been charged, apart from those stemming from the goodwill contribution itemised on my quote.  That quote was from a branch of the Steven Eagell chain, which you don't have down your way (yet!).  They have bought out just about every concession around north  London, East Anglia and the South Midlands.

The anti-tamper bolt caps, whilst I'm yet to see them, sound worthwhile.  The ease of removing the two unprotected, 14mm hex pipe/manifold bolts is a major part of the Toyota catalyst theft problem, as I see it, (once you've looked past general lawlessness and police disinterest, of course) as they are too straightforward to remove as they are.  Basically, the same two bolts and their under-car accessibility are common across most Toyota hybrid models (but Yaris hybrid has a significantly different catalyst location) - so the scumbags have the benefit of familiarity when violating some poor Toyota owner's car. 

At the moment I am using some home-brew anti-tamper bolts, as the official Toyota item was not remotely known about when I wanted to do something about these.

For what it's worth, a German (Stuttgart) member on this very forum had to have the concept of 'catalyst theft' explained to him; he had no idea what people over here were talking about, and it doesn't seem remotely common in France, Belgium or Italy, as far as I can fathom - it has only been mentioned once (that I've seen) on the France-based Hybridlife forum.

HTH.

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into alarm options and I aproached an intresting product. Tytan DS-512 with tilt sensor(DTS3D) and Battery powered siren (SAD 1-8). Most budget option is to install tilt sensor on ints own. This can be achived by connecting to exitsting alarm triger. I haven't done the instalation and I don't have this kit but it does sounds like a realy good alternative.

http://guardial.com/products

• 3 weeks later...

I stumbled across the installation details of the Toyota dealer-fit tilt sensor kit, by chance almost.

Unfortunately, these type of Toyota guides rival IKEA manuals for their annoying brevity and lack of any words.

There is only a RHD manual listed - which is rather telling.  Anyway, this is what you get, if anyone is still interested...

Tilt-Sensor_Auris2mkRHD_AIM-004-701-0.pdf

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 6/12/2020 at 11:09 AM, Steven Maloney said:

Hello Gerg,

Thanks for the input and advice appreciated.

After researching as best I could (including YouTube videos of people stealing the Catalytic converter in 60 seconds in broad daylight!) 

It appears the choices are:

1. Cat Lock, ( plate anchored to the vehicle chassis protecting the catalytic converter ) 

2. Cat Clamp: (stainless steel brackets and wire fitted to the catalytic converter and anchored to the underside of the vehicle)

3. Installation of tilt alarm. 

Upon further research, it appears the

1: Toyota supplied Cat Lock has failed to prevent theft of a catalytic converter in at least one instance, and after speaking to a garage with a lot of experience in effective catalytic converter theft protection "most of our customers come after they've had their catalytic converter stolen for the first time" ( CarMax Ltd, tel: 02036747100 )   let's just say they were not impressed with the Toyota supplied Cat Lock and believed it would be easy for a thief to circumvent.

2: it appears ( again explained by Carmax to me)  most Cat Clamps do not prevent a thief from accessing the bolts required to remove the catalytic converter, assuming they have overcome the actual clamp.

So yesterday I travelled to London, to CarMax Ltd, tel: 02036747100 while they fitted their version of the Cat Clamp, ( my catalytic converter - and removal bolts ) now have an amazing array of stainless steel cabling securing the catalytic converter to the car. In addition, they fitted their own custom designed Cat Lock plate, I inspected the work, and I'm very satisfied.

I paid £225.00 for all labour and parts used including VAT 

The garage claim they have fitted over 100 of these, and subsequently not had a single customer lose their catalytic converter. 

The garage also advised it would take a thief considerable time to remove the combined protection, suggested well over an hour! I am mechanically competent, and after inspecting the work carried out I agree. (Better than the current 60 seconds!) Remember the reason they are target in the first place is mostly because of how easily are to remove, once it gets considerably more difficult, complicated and time-consuming it increases the risk to the thief, and decreases the risk to the owner.

( PS: while I was there I had a good chat with another customer whose had his car for only a week and thieves had stolen the catalytic converter, he was gutted. The garage were replacing his cat, and fitting the above security) 

3: finally the tilt alarm, as we all know everybody ignores alarms, they have become a social nuisance. However I think there is still merit in having one fitted, especially if the vehicle is kept at home. So I shall go to my local Toyota dealer I believe I can have one properly fitted by them for around £250.

Summary:

if some scumbag thief is prepared to jack my car up, bring all the tools required, make one heck of a din while they try and cut, spend an hour and 1/2 in the process, then they are welcome to my cat, they have earned it!

In the meantime, I will drive, park, and sleep without worrying at all. 

And just in case anyone is wondering about,  CARMAX Ltd, other than travelling hundred and 30 miles to their garage yesterday and having the above work undertaken, I am not connected, nor received  any incentive to highlight the great work they have done. We should also give credit where credit is due. Good honest people, working hard, good service, I highly recommend them.

Steven

I read your post with interest as there has been a spate of catalytic converters in my area recently and I am weighing up the risk of theft versus the cost of fitting anti theft devices. Would you still recommend the devices fitted by Carmax and did you have an alarm fitted later. How did you hear of Carmax and their devices. Are the devices approved by Toyota or could they invalidate the warranty.

Phil

On 7/1/2020 at 6:41 PM, Gerg said:

No, I haven't gone ahead and had a tilt alarm fitted yet, although I would still consider it.

I don't understand the price differences that people have been charged, apart from those stemming from the goodwill contribution itemised on my quote.  That quote was from a branch of the Steven Eagell chain, which you don't have down your way (yet!).  They have bought out just about every concession around north  London, East Anglia and the South Midlands.

The anti-tamper bolt caps, whilst I'm yet to see them, sound worthwhile.  The ease of removing the two unprotected, 14mm hex pipe/manifold bolts is a major part of the Toyota catalyst theft problem, as I see it, (once you've looked past general lawlessness and police disinterest, of course) as they are too straightforward to remove as they are.  Basically, the same two bolts and their under-car accessibility are common across most Toyota hybrid models (but Yaris hybrid has a significantly different catalyst location) - so the scumbags have the benefit of familiarity when violating some poor Toyota owner's car. 

At the moment I am using some home-brew anti-tamper bolts, as the official Toyota item was not remotely known about when I wanted to do something about these.

For what it's worth, a German (Stuttgart) member on this very forum had to have the concept of 'catalyst theft' explained to him; he had no idea what people over here were talking about, and it doesn't seem remotely common in France, Belgium or Italy, as far as I can fathom - it has only been mentioned once (that I've seen) on the France-based Hybridlife forum.

HTH.

News from Los Angeles.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35833283/stolen-catalytic-converters/

We need a Sheriff in the UK.

• Like 2