Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1994 GXi rear brake query

RogerHinds

Hi

I've started a new topic for this query rather than continue on my older CV joint one.

I'm replacing the callipers/discs/pads front and back on my 1994 Corolla GXi. All parts on order from various recommended websites.

Front callipers came off easily so no issues there. New callipers are OK and I've cleaned the calliper brackets up and they seem OK.

The back ones however is a different matter. There is an odd fitting on one of the fixing holes. One is a normal bolt but the other is a metal cap with a rubber bung of sorts in the top. Photos added to show what I mean.

My question really is how do I get that off/out? All help and/or suggestions welcome!

Thanks in anticipation

Roger

IMG_0881.jpg

IMG_0880.jpg

Hi,

Looks like there is an electrical spade connector coming off it as well, which suggest it some kind of device, but no idea what with just one connector ??

Either way think you have to be very careful  its not damaged as it might be another obselete part.

Was mention in the fourm about the brake dust shields from Toyota not being available  for some models, think it was to do with the pattern / die being lost or something ?

Some talk about third parties making them, but not seen any around, but worth searching online.

Hopefully someone might have a proper answer for you  ....

Thanks

I have found the dust shields for the front and they are on the way to me - from Germany I believe. I can't find any for the back, but mine aren't too bad. I'll look again when I get in there to see if they can be salvaged, otherwise they are coming off. I checked with my MOT guy and he said it's not an MOT thing - as long as they aren't in the way of the brakes.

That isn't a spade terminal - bad photo. It's one of the clips to keep the pads in place. 

Here are some more photos.

The item in question is something that keeps the calliper fastened to the calliper bracket. The other side is a standard bolt. When the bolt is removed, the calliper turns on this other fixing. I don't want to force anything. I tried (carefully) to remove the metal cap but it won't budge. I don't want to pull the rubber bit either in case that just breaks. If I can't find an answer I may just buy new calliper brackets and put two bolts in.

IMG_0882.thumb.jpg.1cd7f497a72f54b9ae01adeef560ffe2.jpgIMG_0886.thumb.jpg.4a8fa9336d6858534fe51cfc5e16fed4.jpgIMG_0885.thumb.jpg.e84210895bb165aee8e8830db21822c6.jpgIMG_0884.thumb.jpg.1c20457adb0e1972e6464d20b9206572.jpgIMG_0883.thumb.jpg.bf7bfd926919bd3b9e3e230a1668628f.jpg

Right, I think I've found the answer.

The odd fixing appears to slide out of the calliper bracket. I searched online and it appears that the new calliper will come with that fixing in place and the images look like it should slide out.

I got my calliper and bracket in the vice and lo and behold - it slid. I've not take it right out as I want to make sure that this fixing is on my new calliper before I go any further.

So - one of the fixing is a normal bolt and the other seems to be a slide in fixing.

Thanks

Roger

IMG_0888.jpg

IMG_0887.jpg

Hi,

On our models, the slide bolts are two different types, one is a solid pin, the other also solid but with a rubber fitted on its end.

Just wonder if that device is some ealier form of rubber /bolt assembly ?

If it is a rubber cap, rather than pulling it, try using a thin blade around its edge and see if it can be eased out to reveal whats in there.

EDIT  Ah, missed you last post , though still think if might be a rubber or oil filled device ?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links