Do Not Sell My Personal Information

early wear on aygo discs & pads

Ray Norris

Has anyone experienced this problem on a three year old Aygo ? Quote from Toyota service advice "Advise new brake pads & discs as needed due to corrosion on discs & pads sticking in the carrier".

I had to have both front disc & pad assemblies replaced as advised but i think this is unacceptable on a vehicle with a full Toyota service history & 13,300 miles on the clock.

• Like 1

The majority of manufacturers only provide limited warranty cover under the new car warranty on brake discs - commonly six months - as these are considered a wear and tear item. Also depending where you live, whether this maybe coastal and/or the car is kept outside, corrosion may be more of an issue. 

So were the discs badly corroded? 

I've experienced corrosion at the 22k mile mark, where there was a pronounced lip on the discs. Also at the 40k mile mark, one or both discs were corroded to the point that it caused brake pulsing. Both times discs and pads were replaced at my local Toyota dealer. Mine doesn't do many miles, so it's just the nature of the beast that they succumb to corrosion so quickly.

If the disc isn't worn too much and the braking surface is even, I would have left them. Out of interest how much did that cost? Toyota only advised, they didn't say you had to replace. 

My mk1 aygo at three years old got an advisory for the above, but I didn't actually have to buy new parts. Then my mk2 aygo this year passed with no advisories whatsoever and did 29k mileage.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, gotagetz said:

If the disc isn't worn too much and the braking surface is even, I would have left them. Out of interest how much did that cost? Toyota only advised, they didn't say you had to replace. 

Both front  discs & pads £257.00 Not worn but scores & ridges on pads & discs.Agree wear items but problems caused by sticking carrier which should be under warranty.

Pulsing & noise on braking that is why i replaced.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:58 PM, fordulike said:

I've experienced corrosion at the 22k mile mark, where there was a pronounced lip on the discs. Also at the 40k mile mark, one or both discs were corroded to the point that it caused brake pulsing. Both times discs and pads were replaced at my local Toyota dealer. Mine doesn't do many miles, so it's just the nature of the beast that they succumb to corrosion so quickly.

Same problems with mine plus graunching noise when braking on right hand lock.The problem (as Toyota advised) was caused by a sticking carrier, so in my opinion not a wear item.Discs & pads have plenty of meat on them but lips & ridges on discs & pads.Also visible hot spots on discs. I have retained the parts as evidence  because the problem was caused by a sticking carrier & not brake wear. The bill was £257.00. 

• Like 1

So what do you propose to do with the evidence?

If you wish to claim under the new car warranty Toyota will require the parts to be inspected by a Toyota dealer in the first instance, before making any form of judgement.

Bear in mind the Toyota warranty, as with any manufacturer, covers manufacturing defects. So if the sticking calibre is judged to be a manufacturing defect, it may be covered under warranty. If judged to be wear, as per the title of your topic, then it probably won't be covered.

My 66 aygo has had the same brakes on them and my car is sitting on 16500 4 years and the last service toyota advised me:

Discs are 100 worn
Pads have 4-5mm
Price to replace £200

I got a full front set £60 and will replace them for £70 all in.

Toyota don't make anything on a cash deal they only make money on finance and servicing

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My wife’s 4 year old Aygo was in this morning for its service and MOT, she got a phone call regarding her front discs being badly lipped and rusty with only 12k miles on the car[emoji15]

They quoted £314 to change the discs and pads!! They said it would be put as an advisory on the MOT but it wouldn’t fail on them this year [emoji848]

Never had this before with a Toyota [emoji22]

72949210c6a12f4f38bd60733b7544ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Can you check it yourself, measure the pads, post a picture?

I will do, but as it passed the MOT I am not in any hurry to do it. As it’s the inner edge I will have to take the wheels off.
It will be interesting to see though [emoji848]

I won’t be replacing them until just before the MOT next year [emoji106]

• 2 weeks later...

f772546ac3f280358754a439b600e49d.jpg
3f5bafd7d5fcac3a7ed6c481f38ac5ac.jpg
1a5178e95bf7a8216115c5da08fb2a77.jpg

This is the drivers side

This is the passenger side 08318e69e720295f6becd0f7cf865ed6.jpg
a493f1eb0a5fe40a86dcfe79d4b78ed5.jpg
d38dc18b98f16f4c2c57e89594a99ef4.jpg

Is it me or do the drivers side pads seem more worn than the passenger 🧐

• Like 1

My first MOT with 16,000 miles, advisory to replace front discs £245,00,,WOW.. 

Who motd it? Toyota dealer?

If you mean our Aygo, it was Jemca Toyota, Bracknell, 4th year service and MOT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dealers seem to advise they need doing but at less than 20k miles you'd have to be heavy on brakes or do a lot of town driving. 

It's easy money for them and as above can be done easily at home or by your local friendly garage.  

• Like 1

Dealers seem to advise they need doing but at less than 20k miles you'd have to be heavy on brakes or do a lot of town driving. 
It's easy money for them and as above can be done easily at home or by your local friendly garage.  
Well I just did my brakes have 50% pad life left

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

So you could have got at least another 10k miles out of them.