Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sad Ending

We-go

I loved my Aygo. Bought it new in March 2010 and have really looked after it having it serviced by the Knaresborough dealership (who were excellent btw). It was very reliable returning around 55mpg and had very few faults during its life. But at 98k miles the engine had a catastrophic failure and the cost of repair is more than the value of the car. Disappointing to say the least. Other rubbish cars that I have owned needed frequent repairs to keep them going (and much further than 98K miles) but this is the first time in over fifty years of driving that I have had such an event. Sad. So do I consider Toyota reliable brand? Difficult one!

• Like 1

What was the issue with it

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

The mechanic said, I thought a coil had gone but found a hole in the side of the engine block was a give-away!

Hi there sorry to hear that, what was the catastrophe and possible cause? I certainly prefer Toyota to some of euro cars out there.

Total engine failure. I guess that a con rod broke. I wasn't even driving hard or fast. Pulled out to pass a tractor, empty road, no hurry and loud noise and loss of power. The only lucky bit was that it happened outside the garage that services my cars.

Wow that's bad for a toyota must of been a bad rod

Or low on oil? That happened to our works BMW. Keeper never checked the oil until it was too late 

Was it a Toyota engine?

Sad to hear what happened.

My aunts 1989 Volvo 240 GLT threw its rod out the side in around 2003 at 240,000. It was loosing oil/leaking. It was scrapped and I got the Roof Rack for my Volvo 740.

James.

I was so sad that a very reliable car that was well maintained should self destruct at 98K miles. My previous Renault Clio, which was always needing repairs (it went through wheel bearings at an astonishing rate) was still on the road well past 100k which I then traded in for the Aygo. A blemish on Toyotas brand of otherwise a good reliability record.

I was thinking about this what sort of oils was you using?

Then was a damaged rod that suck

12 hours ago, Auris James said:
14 hours ago, We-go said:

I loved my Aygo. Bought it new in March 2010 and have really looked after it having it serviced by the Knaresborough dealership (who were excellent btw). It was very reliable returning around 55mpg and had very few faults during its life. But at 98k miles the engine had a catastrophic failure and the cost of repair is more than the value of the car. Disappointing to say the least. Other rubbish cars that I have owned needed frequent repairs to keep them going (and much further than 98K miles) but this is the first time in over fifty years of driving that I have had such an event. Sad. So do I consider Toyota reliable brand? Difficult one!

Hi Chris, as you have a good relationship with your dealer, who has serviced your car over the years and who know you, might I suggest you get a letter from them outlining the car’s history and what happened to it. Then armed with that write to Toyota GB asking if they would consider having their technical team examine the engine as to why it failed after such care and low mileage, and would they contribute toward the cost of a replacement engine or repair to the failure of your own engine. It can’t hurt and you never know what they will do.

• Like 1

tbh 10 years and nearly 100k miles is not a bad life span for a 1.0 aygo £1000-1400 to drop a used engine in it, a dealer will quote 4-6K if not more for new engine

As for French cars, when they go wrong they cascade with faults, the interiors are cheap the electrics are built to a price too

Bernard. A dealer will not be interested one bit, unless it's a sale at the end of the day its a 10 year old Aygo, and you get nothing for brand loyalty these days

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Hi Chris, as you have a good relationship with your dealer, who has serviced your car over the years and who know you, might I suggest you get a letter from them outlining the car’s history and what happened to it. Then armed with that write to Toyota GB asking if they would consider having their technical team examine the engine as to why it failed after such care and low mileage, and would they contribute toward the cost of a replacement engine or repair to the failure of your own engine. It can’t hurt and you never know what they will do.

100k isn't low mileage for a car like the Aygo. At the end of the day it's a 10 year old car worth well under a couple of grand.

4 hours ago, We-go said:

I was so sad that a very reliable car that was well maintained should self destruct at 98K miles. My previous Renault Clio, which was always needing repairs (it went through wheel bearings at an astonishing rate) was still on the road well past 100k which I then traded in for the Aygo. A blemish on Toyotas brand of otherwise a good reliability record.

It's an unfortunately event, but needs a bit of perspective. One example of a failed engine after 10 years and 100k doesn't make Toyota a blemished and unreliable brand. There's a million plus Aygo's made, plus  similar numbers of the French siblings. A small number will have an unexpected failure.

As you say sad times, reminds me my sister's original Mini threw a conrod many years ago, and that done a lot fewer miles, and it was riddled with rust, but was looked after and regular oil changes. She loved it so had new engine fitted, my dear old Dad wanted to scrap it, but her heart ruled her head! With the engine, rust/welding, paint and brakes that car was practically  rebuilt over the years. The irony being that when it was running it was a hoot to drive. 

Get your point though, cos when I see all these motoring stories/programmes eulogizing about the original Mini, I have a slightly different view.

19 hours ago, We-go said:

So do I consider Toyota reliable brand? Difficult one!

I am sorry about your experience, but it is hard to draw any conclusion from it. But I understand it if you lose trust in the brand.

The Aygo petrol engine is known to be simple (atmospheric) and very reliable. I would even say it is the best thing in the car and what justifies its price. If well driven and serviced, the engine is very likely to outlive the other parts of the car. Some problem like yours may occur but they remain rare, as it happens with any make or model.

About the Aygo, I think it is not representative of Toyota's standards of quality and general know-how. The Aygo was conceived to be lightweight and cheap, with shared parts. It is not even entirely a Toyota. When the Aygo was released, Toyota was known for the reputation of great sturdiness of the Yaris mk1. People who bought the Aygo mk1 and had mechanical problems (clutch, water pump...) were disappointed and said they thought they could trust Toyota. Buying an Aygo from Toyota's is like going to McDonald's and order a salad. It is not the best they can do.

2 hours ago, zuh said:

It is not the best they can do.

Back in the early 2000's, it made sense for Toyota and PSA to share development costs of the Aygo/107/C1, as the profitability of this class of car is limited. 

Recently the fleet CO2 compliance that manufacturers have to meet, actually works against small, city cars. 

Hence why PSA have said they won't replace the current C1/108, VAG won't replace the Up/Mia/Citigo (instead will release electric only versions of the current car), Ford have ceased importing the Ka+ into Europe, Vauxhall/Opel stopped the Adam/Viva/Karl, etc.

Hyundai/Kia and Toyota seem to be the only mass market manufacturers who will continue in this sector - Hyundai having launched a new i10 this year.

• Like 1

Assume the Oil Viscosity was correct for the engine?

Secondly the oil level was correct? My Rav was serviced by a Toyota dealer & a couple of weeks later the oil consumption had increased significantly.

After a Dealer Test, they discovered that the dipstick measured differently dependant which way the dip-stick was inserted in the engine block having removed the sump etcetera.

Toyota GB then issued an Advisory Note to all its Dealers.

Do not know whether this applies to this engine but for  25 years I have never changed the dip-stick orientation 

Tel

• Like 1

Assume the Oil Viscosity was correct for the engine?
Secondly the oil level was correct? My Rav was serviced by a Toyota dealer & a couple of weeks later the oil consumption had increased significantly.
After a Dealer Test, they discovered that the dipstick measured differently dependant which way the dip-stick was inserted in the engine block having removed the sump etcetera.
Toyota GB then issued an Advisory Note to all its Dealers.
Do not know whether this applies to this engine but for  25 years I have never changed the dip-stick orientation 

Tel
There are 2 side on most oil and dipsticks one for cold one for hot they might of red the hot and saw nothing in