Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sad Ending

We-go

50 minutes ago, gampla said:

There are 2 side on most oil and dipsticks one for cold one for hot

In nearly 50 years of looking at dipsticks, I've never seen that.

15 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Hyundai/Kia and Toyota seem to be the only mass market manufacturers who will continue in this sector - Hyundai having launched a new i10 this year.

Do you think the Aygo will be continued if the C1/108 stop? I heard about stopping production in 2021.

The problem of the 3 sisters is that they were initially intended to be budget cars, the equivalent of the Tata Nano in Europe. But they ended up being cheaply conceived but not so cheap to buy and service. In my country, a new Aygo costs almost the same price as a Dacia Duster that is much bigger.

But again, the petrol engine in the Aygo is excellent. It is sad to read that it caused dissatisfaction to someone, but problems may occur sometimes, even on the most reliable products.

• Like 1

Do you think the Aygo will be continued if the C1/108 stop? I heard about stopping production in 2021.
The problem of the 3 sisters is that they were initially intended to be budget cars, the equivalent of the Tata Nano in Europe. But they ended up being cheaply conceived but not so cheap to buy and service. In my country, a new Aygo costs almost the same price as a Dacia Duster that is much bigger.
But again, the petrol engine in the Aygo is excellent. It is sad to read that it caused dissatisfaction to someone, but problems may occur sometimes, even on the most reliable products.
Toyota will be making a new aygo this is the concept f0e6fd440c145f418153bc433987b6da.jpg

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, zuh said:

Toyota have publicly stated they will be continuing with a replacement Aygo. They are also buying PSA out of the joint venture plant in the Czech Republic, and will be the sole owner in 2021.

The Aygo/107/C1 were intended to compete with other city car offerings in Europe - such as the Ka, VW Fox, etc. The Tata Nano was very basic transport (even more so than European city cars) intended to attract the Indian population away from mopeds and motor bikes.

As regards Dacia (Renault's budget brand), in the UK one can buy a Duster for the same price as some versions of the Aygo/108//C1, but they're in different market sectors. You can also get an MG3 for the same price as some versions of the Aygo/108/C1. Same with other city cars such as the i10, Picanto, Up, Ignis, etc.

In the UK, servicing costs for the Aygo are similar to other cars in that sector.

The Aygo has been Toyota's second best selling car (after the Yaris) for a number of years, so they can't be that expensive to buy or run.

• Like 1

We have owned our 107 for over 12 years from new and one reasons we bought ours was seeing all those Toyota stickers on the mechanical bits and I have not been disappointed. Ours has been very reliable, cheap to run and maintain and good fun to drive as well, not bad for what is as said a cheap, no frills car built to a budget. So much so we got a 108 few years ago again with the Toyota engine, not as much faith in the PSA 1.2, and again it been spot on. Hopefully, the Aygo concept makes it to production with ICE power, the PSA city electric offerings I still not convinced of and although ours does mainly local drives, when called for it has done long trips with no issues. 

I know in my local area the end of the Aygo/C1/107 will be felt a lot, there are 3 of the triplets in my road alone and on the rest of the estate lost count of the number and we just in a normal semi rural town, so no major big city, and they been popular for many years, more than either Fiat 500s, VW Up!s, Hyundai i10s. 

I know a engine failure is disappointing, but we had only one over decades of car ownership, our Mini's successor was an 80s Ford which lasted over 25 years with no major rust or mechanical issues and was sold on in roadworthy condition, so it evens out.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Puglet said:

I know in my local area the end of the Aygo/C1/107 will be felt a lot,

Toyota have said they will be having a replacement for the Aygo.

On 6/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, flash22 said:

tbh 10 years and nearly 100k miles is not a bad life span for a 1.0 aygo £1000-1400 to drop a used engine in it, a dealer will quote 4-6K if not more for new engine

As for French cars, when they go wrong they cascade with faults, the interiors are cheap the electrics are built to a price too

Bernard. A dealer will not be interested one bit, unless it's a sale at the end of the day its a 10 year old Aygo, and you get nothing for brand loyalty these days

Sadly you are correct re brand loyalty Bob, it now means that you are screwed again by the same people 😡😡

On 6/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, flash22 said:

..... you get nothing for brand loyalty these days

Varies really.

There have been several cases on these forums, where owners of early IQ's (2009 vintage) outside of warranty with flaking white pearlescent paint, where Toyota have paid for full resprays under goodwill.

I think some of the dealers offer good loyalty, I bought a 2nd hand non Toyota from my current aygo dealer several years ago. Which had numerous issues with turbos and the service I got from them was exceptional.

hence why I bought my new aygo from them. 

• Like 1

Thanks for all you help and advice on this matter. The car has gone from us as it was a reminder of sadness and as it was our second car and also I've retired, I don't intend to replace it. Maybe I'll return to my youth and get a Mazda MX5 sometime later!

Thanks for all you help and advice on this matter. The car has gone from us as it was a reminder of sadness and as it was our second car and also I've retired, I don't intend to replace it. Maybe I'll return to my youth and get a Mazda MX5 sometime later!
The new mx5 are nice cars just shame it's a fiat/abarth 124

12 hours ago, gampla said:

The new mx5 are nice cars just shame it's a fiat/abarth 124

Hang on ... that's the wrong way round. 😉

The FIAT is made by Mazda in Japan, and launched two years after the MX-5.

Hang on ... that's the wrong way round. [emoji6]
The FIAT is made by Mazda in Japan, and launched two years after the MX-5.
Like I said shame its also a fiat/abarth 124

Production of the Fiat Abarth 124 for Europe ended in 2019. Model only for the US until the end of 2020.

But isn't a nice looking or sports

17 minutes ago, gampla said:

Like I said shame its also a fiat/abarth 124

No, you said "The new mx5 are nice cars just shame it's a fiat/abarth 124".

Which is incorrect. FIAT did a deal to rebody the MX-5 and drop it's own engine in. Makes no difference to the desirability of the MX-5.

Same as the Ford ka and fiat 500 both the same chassis just it's a fiat and they are junk

Not the same at all. Not going to waste any further keystrokes, have a nice day!

Given it's a 3 cylinder, and the oil use going up after 100,000 miles or so i will be changing mine around the 90k mark or sooner also given the price point of the Aygo. A 1.5 Yaris with a four cylinder is a better long term bet and the quality will be better as a more expensive car but for fun factor and MPG the Aygo is great.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi, I feel your pain. My aygo bought new March 2010 also. Loved and cared for, serviced and MOTd 14 June 2021, just turned 80,000miles. Luckily I hadn't reached the motorway I was about to go on to visit my daughter. The AA man who came out said a rod must have broken and gone through casing.. Hmm, next car I get is not going to be a toyota. Thought they were reliable. I will google engine failure 90,000 miles of next car I buy, which is how I came to find you. 

That's the first case I've ever heard of total engine failure - and I've owned one of these and been a member of various owners forums since 2010.

On 6/13/2020 at 7:12 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Back in the early 2000's, it made sense for Toyota and PSA to share development costs of the Aygo/107/C1, as the profitability of this class of car is limited. 

Recently the fleet CO2 compliance that manufacturers have to meet, actually works against small, city cars. 

Hence why PSA have said they won't replace the current C1/108, VAG won't replace the Up/Mia/Citigo (instead will release electric only versions of the current car), Ford have ceased importing the Ka+ into Europe, Vauxhall/Opel stopped the Adam/Viva/Karl, etc.

Hyundai/Kia and Toyota seem to be the only mass market manufacturers who will continue in this sector - Hyundai having launched a new i10 this year.

The new Aygo will not be like the current one. It will be more SUV like. So that in my opinion goes against what I found so appealing in the current Aygo that led me to buy one. A proper small Japanese eco car with conventional non-SUV design.

On 6/14/2020 at 7:53 AM, Tel 2 said:

Assume the Oil Viscosity was correct for the engine?

Secondly the oil level was correct? My Rav was serviced by a Toyota dealer & a couple of weeks later the oil consumption had increased significantly.

After a Dealer Test, they discovered that the dipstick measured differently dependant which way the dip-stick was inserted in the engine block having removed the sump etcetera.

Toyota GB then issued an Advisory Note to all its Dealers.

Do not know whether this applies to this engine but for  25 years I have never changed the dip-stick orientation 

Tel

I always worry if my local officially licensed dealer has put the correct type and level of oil in. How to know unless one buys the oil themselves and regulalry keeps the oil levels topped up? Should I really trust my dealer to do the correct job? Difficult to know what to do in these circumstances.

Waz, most dealers (or their service department) probably use a bulk oil supply and it would not be worth their while to cheat.  Look what might happen if they were caught 🙂

Don't worry, it's only the Aygo X-Prologue that is going to be the ridiculous 1-point-nothing FWD SUV :laugh:

You are right to not trust the dealer 100% - Way back when Toyota started selling cars that needed 0w20, we caught a lot of the dealers continuing to use 5w30, which had a noticeable effect on the fuel economy of the then-new Mk3 Prius.

I have a feeling a similar thing will happen with my new Yaris - When I asked one of my local dealers how much some 0w8 was, the reply I got was "Don't you mean 0w20? We don't sell 0w8..."

The trick is to find a good dealer - There are some great dealers, but also some really awful ones. Just because they use the Toyota name doesn't mean anything - Sadly the onus is on the customer to find the good ones! It's one of the reasons I really miss the dealer review section this site used to have!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links