Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2018 Auris MPG/Hybrid

Soffphie

Hi, im just looking for a more accurate view on the MPG the Toyota Auris, 2018 hybrid can offer.this one being a 1.8 TSS 5dr CVT.

how many miles does it do on electric?

why does it have charge, eco and power on the revs.. what do they actually represent? this car can self charge?

any known issues with this car mecanically?

also, how long do hybrids last milage wise being theres a Battery

MPG can vary between winter and Summer. Less MPG in winter. My 2015 model Auris hybrid does between 50-70mpg. Averages around 55mpg. Much better in the City where I have seen 80mpg+ Any hills and it runs on petrol. Battery comes in up to around 42mph. Pure electric on the level around 1mile. Quickly self recharges and back into Battery usage.

Its a self charging hybrid so no mains charge needed. It works well and is cheap to run. Mine being a pre April 2017 free road tax.

I live rural and and so use dual carriageways so economy not as much as a City/town where it excels.

No known issues. I have had it since January. Battery is guaranteed if you have an annual health check at Toyota. Believe up to 10 years on Auris? New models 15 years. They are made up of cells so you can renew any faulty battery cells and new pack is 1200 from Toyota, so not expensive.

Toyota Hybrid technology is well tested and reliable.

If you have a bit more like 22k get a corolla Hybrid. Even nicer!

James. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soffphie said:

Hi, im just looking for a more accurate view on the MPG the Toyota Auris, 2018 hybrid can offer.this one being a 1.8 TSS 5dr CVT.

how many miles does it do on electric?

why does it have charge, eco and power on the revs.. what do they actually represent? this car can self charge?

any known issues with this car mecanically?

also, how long do hybrids last milage wise being theres a battery

Hi Soffphie, bought a 60 plate Auris hybrid 3 years ago (same engineering as the 2018). I bought it and like it so much bought a Prius. Auris - brill car, the hybrid system is so relaible, so well engineered. Did you know the Toyota hybrid system has been in the UK market place for 20 years.                                                                                  

There is no charging point on the Auris, like the Prius (same engineering) there is a hybrid Battery under the back seat which is charged basically by the vehicle moving ie wheels revolving though the engine plays a part as well.  So easy to drive, a computer does all the thinking for you in relation to when the vehicle runs on electric and when the engine is needed. As a true Battery vehicle it does not go so far, but with the big Battery continually being charged and discharged you get good miles to the gallon. My Auris (now the wifes car) does about 65mpg in the summer, 55 in the winter (like all batteries, even your torch battery, they dont like the cold and perform less well. With a 10 gall tank that means you can do between 550 and 650 miles on a full tank. I dont know of any pure electric vehicle that will do that. So a hybrid allows you to drive without worrying where the next charge point is, is it available, and is it working. An excellent compromise.

The "rev" counter is more a power gauge. Take your foot off the accelerator pedal and you will charge the battery, being moderate with throttle us will allow you to run in eco mode - very possible on electric, stick you r foot down on the accelerator and the needle will be in power mode and certainly the engine will be in operation.

Do you homework and visit some YouTube sites to see driving techniques, and YT for independent reviews (you may have to review Prius cars 2009-2016 as they are more popular especially in USA). you will see/read there appears to be no serious problem  with the hybrid engineering nor the hybrid battery. Same as any car, brake system, suspension etc may or may not have issues, but the hybrid parts are very solid. Hybrid batteries are covered but the Toyota warranty for (I think 8 years) but if you get Toyota to do a hybrid battery health check annually they extend the warranty by 12 months each time.  If you have the hybrid battery health check done annually with a Toyota service it is FREE, if you service elsewhere and just have the battery check then its £45.  (Wifes Auris and my Prius will be in for service/battery health check on Monday).

So, dont be afraid of going for a good Auris, I would be tempted to go to a Toyota dealer to purchase, but wherever you go do make sure the previous services have been done to a Toyota standard, you are guaranteed that from a Toyota dealer, but to maintain the Toyota warranty if you have a service elsewhere the place will need to be VAT registered and you must be able to prove genuine Toyota parts have been used and workmanship is to Toyota recommended procedures.

Enjoy your search.

forgot to mention, there are many Auris/Prius with well over 100,000 miles on the clock, some are over 200,000.   The first Prius I bought had 105,000 and had been owned by a private hire cab driver. didnt phase me buying an ex taxi - taxi owners rely on the vehicle to earn a living, they not going to neglect their vehicle, anything needed and its going to get done. Loved that so much I got the Gen4 Prius - beautiful.

• Like 1

if the hybrid system wasn't reliable you wouldn't have prius & auris hybrids being used as taxis

as already said the technology is 20years old and over the years has been refined to where it is today,

• Like 1

Agreed with all post above, buying a Toyota hybrids is the only sensible choice right now for buying a new or nearly new car if it is not full electric or small runabout as those can do with simple 1.0 to 1.4 petrol manual. 
Regards 

one of the reasons you pass your driving test is to have freedom

so why would anyone want to be tethered to a plug socket every few days which technically gives you a second form of lockdown and losing your freedom again

Hybrids everytime for me since 2013 we have had the following cars :-

lexus Ct200h,honda jazz ima,2 x auris hybrids & 2 x lexus Is300h

i have to say the honda is a mild hybrid and not as good as the toyota / lexus system

nothing went wrong with these cars just changed because we wanted to.

• Like 2

For me I couldn't have an all electric car. My usage would suit. I live in a Marina where there are a lot of visitors using the outdoor spaces and Pub and Restaurants and cafe. There are no car charging points. Don't know if any would be installed especially for residents and visitors. Also how can people who live in terraced houses be able to charge the car when they cant guarantee being able to park outside.

For me I see a Hybrid as an ideal choice.

James.

• Like 1

My experience of the Auris Hybrid in regards to fuel consumption, is approx 55 mpg, never seen 60 mpg and it checks out when refueling and checking miles against fuel used. This tends to check out with Honest John Actual fuel figures from other Auris drivers. Driving at at 70 mph this drops to 45+ mpg.

My Auris Hybrid averages 52 mpg - it's got the 17" wheels and a glass roof, which may explain why it's slightly lower than the Honest John average. 

Having said that, I can regularly get 60 mpg on certain journeys and the best I've ever got is 70.8 mpg. For some reason, it seems to do best on the kind of twisty country roads where the speed limit or common sense limits your speed to 40 or 50 mph. I leave it in Eco mode most of the time. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links