Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

toyota breakdown cover

JON DAVIES

I have heard that there is free breakdown cover -  if you have a auris hybrid, which is still under warranty - If so how can i join?- I have 66 plate Auris hybrid which is nearly 4 years old.

Thank s in advance

Jon

During COVID-19, Toyota extended existing membership of Toyota Roadside Assistance by three months free of charge. Toyota also offered free Toyota Roadside Assistance to Key Workers - see https://www.toyota.co.uk/covid-19

The new car warranty provides 1 years cover of Toyota Roadside Assistance. Toyota extended warranties include Toyota Roadside Assistance for the duration of the extended warranty.

Otherwise it costs for 1 year are:

1) £7 per month by monthly direct debit, 2) £76 as a one off credit/debit card payment, or 3) £72 by annual direct debit.

See https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/roadside-assistance/

10 years ago I had just ourchased a Nissan Almera and we gone on holiday to Lincolnshire, then realised we had no breakdown cover. I searched the internet whilst on holiday, went with Start Rescue and been with them ever since, and used them about 4 times, and had very good service on each occassion.  About £60 per year for BOTH our cars, wifes Auris Hybrid and my Prius Gen4, and that includes they attend breakdowns at home as well as out and about. Check them out.

Thank you for the replies.I have had the auris for less than a year, up til now i have been using, AutoAid for about £50. But i was told by a friend who is an AA patrolman , that he taught toyota did a free of charge cover for cars in Warranty - but i guess that is not correct - thanks for your help

18 minutes ago, JON DAVIES said:

But i was told by a friend who is an AA patrolman , that he taught toyota did a free of charge cover for cars in Warranty

Well they do provide 12 months free cover under the new car warranty as stated.

1 hour ago, Catlover said:

10 years ago I had just purchased a Nissan Almera and we gone on holiday to Lincolnshire, then realised we had no breakdown cover. I searched the internet whilst on holiday, went with Start Rescue and been with them ever since, and used them about 4 times, and had very good service on each occasion.  About £60 per year for BOTH our cars, wife's Auris Hybrid and my Prius Gen4, and that includes they attend breakdowns at home as well as out and about. Check them out.

That's good to know! Been with Start Rescue for 2 years now, but not had need to use them. I Went for personal cover as had my Volvo and Lexus. James.

1 hour ago, JON DAVIES said:

Thank you for the replies.I have had the auris for less than a year, up til now i have been using, AutoAid for about £50. But i was told by a friend who is an AA patrolman , that he taught toyota did a free of charge cover for cars in Warranty - but i guess that is not correct - thanks for your help

I bought my Gen4 Prius as a Toyota approved vehicle and part of the package was 12 months Toyota breakdown cover. My e that’s what he was referring to.

• 10 months later...

Just had my renewal reminder, for 1st June.  The price seems competitive so I will probably remain with them.  However what happens if I change?  Will the emergency call button be re routed to the new insurer?

Further to the above:  Green Flag is quoting £28 less (about 30%) than Toyota.  We have used Green Flag a few times - a refuelling problem, an en route alternator failure necessitating a recovery, and a flat Battery.  I have used the AA (I believe Toyota uses AA) a few times, refuelling, flat Battery, rusted brakes and a Van recovery (It was a fired rattle trap).  Between the two the main difference seemed to be cost though when I was an AA member you got a lot more such as route guides, handbook etc.

Mrs Roy favours Green Flag.  Any opinions?

In the latest Which? Survey based on more than 7,500 people who had to call out their breakdown service within the 12 months prior to completing the survey, the following were the highest scorers. Scoring based on customer scores, attending a breakdown within 1 hour and successfully repairing the vehicle at the roadside:

AA 81%

Start Rescue 80%

LV and Gem 76%

Green Flag 77%

Arriva 74%

Green Flag 70%

Auto Aid 68%

Admiral 65%

RAC 62%

Arriva 58%

Direct Line 53%

Axa 47%

Car manufacturer schemes

Toyota 87%

Honda 86%

Ford 83%

Skoda 80%

Etc.

Mike, a powerful reason for using Toyota.

My major call outs were the AA recovery of a  panel van from north of Newcastle to my home in Lincolnshire after a fire in the engine compartment.  On 'dropping' the van outside our house the exhaust pipe fell off.  The recovery involved a driver swap at the half way point.  I told the Van owner to collect it himself and 'stuff the bill for extras'.

The Green Flag one was after an alternator failure and the car had to be recovered.  Again we had to go via a depot.  The downside was animals not allowed in the tow truck.  At the time we had 3 dogs in the car.  I am not sure what would have happened if the car had not been recoverable.

Anyway, thanks again.

In my 12th year with Start Rescue, for both cars we have.  We have used them, from flat batteries to starter motor failure.  Absolutely no problem. Price has been amazing, something around £75 for both cars, that’s total for 2 cars, not each.

Thank you.

No answer yet though about how the emergency contact button works.  Is it linked to the relevant insurer?

Roy, does the vehicle Operators Manual give you any info.

Doesn't the emergency button put you in touch with an operator who can contact the emergency services, rather than a breakdown service.

I don't know.

I will have to have a closer look.  I know it will activate automatically in the event of air bag deployment or a crash which will obviously mean contacting the emergency services but as it has a manual button I am unclear what happens when pressed.  I must look at that aspect.

Finally found what I was looking for in an online manual and also online searches.  The eCall button contacts the emergency services on 112so it is usable throughout Europe.  I think they have some method of overcoming the language issue.  Apparently, and as I have illustrated, there are questions over the manual call function.

An obvious use is if there is a medical emergency rather than a crash.  I guess requesting roadside assistance could count, especially in the case of vulnerable people.

3 hours ago, Roy124 said:

Thank you.

No answer yet though about how the emergency contact button works.  Is it linked to the relevant insurer?

No it is not linked to an insurer/breakdown service, the e-call goes through to to a dedicated call centre for emergencies ( 999 type use only ) see HERE, it is not for breakdowns 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links