Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Question about the plastic area of the air conditioner

guy41

hi

Do you also happen to have cracks on 2 sides? I own the new Corolla Station I got 4 months ago on the road
Thanks to the poor 🙂

IMG_20200614_083936.thumb.jpg.3b5ae307b055d46b218941082ca4a721.jpgIMG_20200614_084022.thumb.jpg.f18eed58fafa23e0fb362636923de36a.jpgIMG_20200614_084046.thumb.jpg.a87a37da9dccebf9b911ff7f5efe152c.jpg

Cracks or scratches?

These seem to be scratches, i have a relatively big one on the center console. It happend about a month or two after i had bought the car. It's verryyyyy sensitive so you have to be carefull.

The one on the right of the controls is a crack (you can see the light refraction) the left one is a scratch (edit. that could be a crack too as it's at the same level as the other one) and the another is a scratch

the  black trim is mare for showing every little mark and scratch, the scratches should polish out with a bit of fine compound

לפני 14 שעות, FROSTYBALLS אמרו:

סדקים או שריטות?

14 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

סדקים או שריטות?

Cracks 

לפני 14 שעות אמר קינג קרימזון:

נראה כי מדובר בשריטות, יש לי גדול יחסית בקונסולה המרכזית. זה היה בערך חודש-חודשיים אחרי שקניתי את המכונית. זה רגיש להפליא אז אתה צריך להיות בזהירות.

אנא צלם איפה בקונסולה המרכזית?

Huh?

2 hours ago, King Crimson said:

Huh?

Can you show an image of the scratch on your centre console?

Ok  i will upload a picture when i get the chance

• Like 1

Yes, I have a scratch, and a damaged piece where the centre console meets the drivers seat. I assumed it was a friend's ring when she adjusted the air con ( i have not moaned at her!) but all the shiny black plastic I now wipe with a micro fibre spectacle cleaner. I am sure it will all look quite worn in a year or so, it is not at all resilient to an accidental scrape from anything hard.

No idea if you can get some sort of scratch remover?

It seems to be a known thing, it’s on reddit ... spotted mine this morning  ..

Two small ‘cracks’ appear on either side of the controls, I’ve messaged Toyota GB and they say talk to the dealer. I’ll try but I can’t imagine they’re gonna be very bothered so I suggest we all look and comment or post pics on here. 

4 hours ago, shufman said:

Two small ‘cracks’ appear on either side of the controls, I’ve messaged Toyota GB and they say talk to the dealer. I’ll try but I can’t imagine they’re gonna be very bothered so I suggest we all look and comment or post pics on here. 

That's OK, but Toyota won't see the pics or comments ....

No I know but it will give an idea about size of the problem. 

They’ve advised me to go to my dealer and report back so I suggest everyone with this issue does the same. 

1 each side

5eea035b.jpg

5eea03aa.jpg

This is only 1 year later, how much worse is this going to get?

Lol, that’s look bad. It is only cosmetic but for some people might be an eye sore including me. If Toyota replaces for someone and you want to protect you may look at some tuning  garages that offers a protective foil wrapping on exterior, clear foil that may work well on your interior parts particularly buttons and for the panels a few clear coat sprays may help against new scratches. There is another option to try to buff out the scratches using this compound : polyWatch Watch Face Scratch Remover and Repair Polish https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E3T237C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_RwI6Eb3KBKHDA

I bought one to use on electric scooter dashboard, it’s just unbelievable easy to get scratches on those too. Haven’t use yet so can’t comment if any good. 👍

• Like 2

I will have to check mine now...Anyway I was never a fan of this piano black scratch magnet piece of trim. Another potential "look we've improved in face lift so please buy" type thing no doubt.

• Like 1

Car in for service today. My dealer has taken a picture of the cracks and is sending them to Toyota for review. The receptionist also has a Corolla, but says he has not seen the problem in his car  yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem. Around the both temperature control buttons and the turnable vent "wheels". Showed them on Monday and I got a call on Thursday that the climate console module will be switched. 

When I went to the dealership I took a look at the two Corollas they had inside for showcase and funny enough - both of them had the same problem. So after they took pictures from my car we went and checked these 2 dealership cars as well and the Quality/warranty manager was quite surprised and I guess it's a bigger issue with the supplier of these modules...

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 15.43.26.png

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 15.43.29.png

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 15.43.33.png

Screenshot 2020-07-11 at 15.43.37.png

• Thanks 1

I have exactly the same marks on my 2019 Corolla. Dimensions and shape appear identical to all images posted so far which leads me to believe these marks may actually be moulding marks on the reverse side of the plastic which can be seen on the front face. I can’t feel any cracking on the front face with my fingernail. Surely stress cracking of the plastic would be more random?

1 hour ago, Swanthecat said:

I have exactly the same marks on my 2019 Corolla. Dimensions and shape appear identical to all images posted so far which leads me to believe these marks may actually be moulding marks on the reverse side of the plastic which can be seen on the front face. I can’t feel any cracking on the front face with my fingernail. Surely stress cracking of the plastic would be more random?

Yes, I had this discussion with the service manager at my dealer. It does look like moulding marks. Especially as all the "faults" are identical. 

However, the service manager did say he can feel the cracks with his finger nail, I tried it (didn't want to before in case I scratched the polished surface!) and can feel a very slight indentation with my nail as well. These polished surfaces are very delicate, I think scratches are inevitable.

I've heard nothing yet from my dealer, I'll give it a while longer to see what the thoughts are about it from Toyota..

• Like 1

Hi I have a look today and yes my car as the same fine line mark near the dual nob but no crack or scratch on the surface 

• Like 1

I will come back tomorrow when the module has been replaced wether or not the new one has those marks. To me it seems that it affects 2019 MY cars... so it could be supplier issue.

What I am most impressed over how quickly the decision was done and how good the service itself was. With Volvo I had HUGE delays because everything had to be negotiated with Swedish "deciders" and it took usually 2 weeks. I am still waiting for a reply for 1 issue from 2017 December from Volvo dealership 😅

• Like 1