Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Question about the plastic area of the air conditioner

guy41

I've the exact same issue. Will need to contact Toyota Dealers and get the car booked in....

• Like 1

So, back from the dealership. New module had same marks on it and they sent inquiry to the supplier of this module. The supplier says these are moulding weldings or something so they are actually OK. So basically these are OK, I suggest to just clean it with proper interior detailing agent like Meguiars or Sonax interior plastic detailer products or proper window/windscreen cleaner. Use 2 separate microfibers and these "scratches" should not pop out...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2020 at 10:44 AM, Rivorian said:

I suggest to just clean it with proper interior detailing agent like Meguiars or Sonax interior plastic detailer products or proper window/windscreen cleaner. Use 2 separate microfibers and these "scratches" should not pop out...

I have the same marks. I don't get your logic with regard to using 2 separate clothes etc. They are cracks not scratches.

Why in 2020 are car designers still putting piano black in interiors.

Basically when You apply this product to plastic areas that are shiny they tend to leave stripes/marks once the product dryes. After using 1 microfiber to apply the product, buff it with the other to remove the marks of the product (something close to process of applying wax). Then these cracks or moulding marks are cleaned of the dust etc which in turn keeps it from showing up soo clearly.

Like I said these "cracks" are not due to piano black but due to moulding of this plastic material. The luggage compartment door is also made enitrely out of plastic and they said that this required special tooling to make. It seems it depends of the shape of the plastic, but not everything that seems easy to make, actually is.

I do not have anything against piano black though, it just needs more care. I have had cars with this for many years and just taking care of the material - use clean microfiber cloth and windscreen cleaner or interior detailer to clean it once or twice in a month. I usually hear negativity against piano black from people who tend not to take good care of their car (not pointing any fingers here). I use microfiber once or twice in week to clean the dust off and it's still looking brand newish after 1 year. Just do not apply pressure swipe gently. Also, it's quite easy to use plastic polish on it to get the scratches out.

I hate the paino black so much!! I would even take those ugly fake wood trims instead 

There is a known issue with touch 2 plastics cracking what is simlar to this issue, something to do with the cleaner the dealers us and a uv reaction with the plastic - tbh where the cracks have appeared shows the plastics are under stress

Matter of taste. I personally hate fake wood trims. I could only live with matte wood.

• 3 years later...

I've had a similar issue with the plastic area of my 2022 Toyota Corolla. When I used Armor All wipes to clean the display, there were white streaks on it and it became cloudy. I tried using Meguiar's wipes to clear it off and the plastic cleaning polish with the microfiber, but it still won't come off. Thinking about taking it to the dealer to get this all straightened out, it's so frustrating and seems to be a widespread issue here!

IMG_1030.jpeg

15 hours ago, blueshadowyota said:

I've had a similar issue with the plastic area of my 2022 Toyota Corolla. When I used Armor All wipes to clean the display, there were white streaks on it and it became cloudy. I tried using Meguiar's wipes to clear it off and the plastic cleaning polish with the microfiber, but it still won't come off. Thinking about taking it to the dealer to get this all straightened out, it's so frustrating and seems to be a widespread issue here!

IMG_1030.jpeg

If you use any wet wipes without wiping off excess wet with microfibre always will leave marks like in the picture. Best wet wipes to use are baby wipes pampers etc. For interior clean I can highly recommend using only microfibre cloth and pure water spray or just dettol antibacterial spray. These two works better than any fancy expensive valeting products. 
If your screen can’t clean off with water it’s very likely damage. Perhaps you can try my methods and let us know. 👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links