Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What MPG do you get ?

Pudzey7

Just interested to see what mpg you get ? This is from my 2004 1.4 d4d corolla. 

Screenshot_20200614-180422_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1

But over what time period and distance? I average currently around 50ish and perhaps a little more from a 1.33L Auris (petrol) over two full fill-ups. So thats over say 800 miles daily usage. Those are real world calculated figures by the way, the display is showing 51.3 at the moment but has reached over 55 on longer gentle runs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mooly said:

But over what time period and distance? I average currently around 50ish and perhaps a little more from a 1.33L Auris (petrol) over two full fill-ups. So thats over say 800 miles daily usage. Those are real world calculated figures by the way, the display is showing 51.3 at the moment but has reached over 55 on longer gentle runs.

Over a full tank with motorway and town driving . Maybe 2 weeks . That's a good return for petrol . 

My 2019 1.8 Hybrid Corolla is currently claiming 67 mpg. That's probably 64 mpg in measured pump to pump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AndrueC said:

My 2019 1.8 Hybrid Corolla is currently claiming 67 mpg. That's probably 64 mpg in measured pump to pump.

Damn.... if I only had the money for a hybrid 🤭 

You know your getting old (29) when your worrying about mpg over performance and fun 🤭🤣

Must say my 1.4 d4d corolla is the only car that had no issues since I got it second hand (about 2 years) . Compared to other cars iv owned.  

On 6/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, AndrueC said:

My 2.0 Excel is doing 54 mpg on the tank at the mo .. about the same for the month so much better than in the winter! 

No harm worrying about economy! I have often had situations in the past when I could only just afford the fuel to get to work! But I could only dream of 61.5 mpg!

According to the engine spec you should be getting between 59 and 66 mpg, so your car seems about right for a 1.4ltr diesel. But as previously requested, it would be interesting to learn under what conditions you got 61. 5 mpg.

Re Hybrid, Toyota introduced them in the New Corolla to compete with Diesel VW's and equivalent of similar engine size and power, for those wanting to move from Diesel. I don't think they ever wanted to match the price, and for the complex power train, they were never going to. But to achieve what Andru does with a 1.8 ltr, that's pretty good for Petrol.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Timmon said:

But to achieve what Andru does with a 1.8 ltr, that's pretty good for Petrol.

It helps that since the virus hit I've not had to do any urban driving (not been into Banbury for three months!). This tank has been almost entirely 20 minute trips to golf courses and trips to Tesco on the way back from golf. Before the recent wet/cool spell the car was showing 69 and I thought I might get it to show 70 but sadly not. Maybe next tank since I should probably fill up tomorrow night.

No chance of any long trips just yet either. My Dad is in North Wales so I'm still not allowed to visit him 😞

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Timmon said:

Re Hybrid, Toyota introduced them in the New Corolla to compete with Diesel VW's and equivalent of similar engine size and power, for those wanting to move from Diesel. I don't think they ever wanted to match the price, and for the complex power train, they were never going to.

Then again, Toyota have had a hybrid option in this market sector since 2010 - the first generation Auris.

• Like 1

I had a Corolla Verso T180 in 2006 and that only averaged about 35mpg which was reasonable at the time plus it was quite dirty on emissions by today’s standards. 

I know my car is lower than that but similar weight and power, better performance plus auto transmission mean that mpg now in the 50s represents good progress in my eyes - I love that on all my journeys so far I’ve driven over half on Battery alone thus cutting emissions further. Diesel to me seems old tech these days and the hybrids are getting better all the time. 

• Like 2

I am averaging 54 Mpg on short journeys. Reset it and did a 100 mile round trip at around 75mph and was getting 54 mpg. Engine tight still at 700 on the clock. Amazes me on a slight downward carriageway the ev still coming on at 76 mph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Roger F said:

I am averaging 54 Mpg on short journeys. Reset it and did a 100 mile round trip at around 75mph and was getting 54 mpg. Engine tight still at 700 on the clock. Amazes me on a slight downward carriageway the ev still coming on at 76 mph.

If you're really interested in economy it's best to show the acceleration gauge in the dashboard. This will help you avoid wasting the Battery by using it as a 'poor man's turbo' and also help you stay in EV for longer. You could also try to use the blue line to limit your acceleration but frankly life's too short. Also everything I've read says that you should accelerate 'smartly' for best efficiency whereas the blue line often wants very, very gentle acceleration.

Trip to the Trafford Centre today, filled up when left the house and the tank average is now 59mpg .. 60.4 on way and 59.6 on way back. 

Drove normally at all the posted speed limits so not going slow on purpose .. 

Pretty impressive - these hybrids start really been run in around 4/5k miles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My 2.0 hybrid is doing 62,3 mpg at the moment. Actually 3 tanks of fuel in a row....Average since new in october is 55 mpg. Milage is 11.000. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Got it upto 58.1mpg. That's in town and students driving the car. Best I got was when I drove the car back for the first time from dealers. Liverpool to london. Got 60.1mpg. Pure motorway miles.

1.8 hatchback hybrid 

• Like 1

Current figures are 61.4 mpg for the 2,500 miles I have on the clock. That's the 1.8 corolla TS excel trim. This month is showing average of 68 mpg. Did have a short run of 1.2 miles when it recorded the trip on the app at 357 mpg but those don't happen often. Much better than the 1.6 diesel picasso that took 3 years to creep up to 50 mpg.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shufman said:

Trip to the Trafford Centre today, filled up when left the house and the tank average is now 59mpg .. 60.4 on way and 59.6 on way back. 

even more impressive is that's from the 2.0 hybrid. Really great value in terms of power and efficiency

Just brim filled the old 1.4L 2003 Corolla 4 door and it took 42.12L having covered 454 miles. MPG = 48.9 which sounds remarkably good tbh but it is what it is. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, FROSTYBALLS said:

Then again, Toyota have had a hybrid option in this market sector since 2010 - the first generation Auris.

Yes, I read that the New Corolla with TNGA platform and hybrid was aimed at the VW hatch diesel lovers, and similar. Maybe they thought the Auris (UK) and same model Corolla ( rest of world) didn't quite give Toyota the shove needed to persuade a transfer from diesel.  Akio Toyoda's"no more boring cars." statement sort of fits with that ambition, given that the power train in the 1.8 has been around a while.

14 hours ago, shufman said:

That's interesting, I've noticed this too. I am on about 6500 now ( Expected to have blown my 8K annual maximum PCP agreement by now, thanks lockdown!) and yesterday a trip to Banbury on twisting hilly roads saw me achieve 60mpg. I put it down to warm weather with no wind resistance, but maybe it is due to the engine settling in as well. I was seeing about 52 to 55 mpg last summer. I think 60 is a bit of a blip, but I will be very happy if I get more that 55 on that trip, which I do a lot. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Timmon said:

Maybe they thought the Auris (UK) and same model Corolla ( rest of world) didn't quite give Toyota the shove needed to persuade a transfer from diesel.

2016 European sales of the Auris showed that 60% were hybrids in a range that still included petrols and diesels. 

https://www.toyota.co.uk/world-of-toyota/stories-news-events/ten-million-toyota-hybrids

For Toyota, Europe is their third most important market, behind the US and Asia (incl China), and unlike VAG, they don't chase volume, profit being more important.

OK, it was the opinion of a motoring magazine. I realise I should not take much notice of motoring mags, but it seemed a viable opinion when I read it. Given the uncertainty over new sales of diesel models going forward.

52 minutes ago, Timmon said:

That's interesting, I've noticed this too. I am on about 6500 now ( Expected to have blown my 8K annual maximum PCP agreement by now, thanks lockdown!) and yesterday a trip to Banbury on twisting hilly roads saw me achieve 60mpg. I put it down to warm weather with no wind resistance, but maybe it is due to the engine settling in as well. I was seeing about 52 to 55 mpg last summer. I think 60 is a bit of a blip, but I will be very happy if I get more that 55 on that trip, which I do a lot. 

Mine also is smoother overall. Esp. when transitioning from petrol to Battery power. 

Couldn't be bothered to fill up yesterday. Car says another 125 miles left in the tank which I think makes nigh-on 500 miles in total. Can't actually remember the last time I filled up but I think it was just before lock-down. So that's quite something. Three months between fill-ups.