Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Oil and filter change

starfield

Hello Everybody, I have just joined your forum.

Well I have a 16 plate Yaris Hybrid with 14k on the clock. It needs an oil and filter change. The dealer has quoted me £300 which I feel is a rip off. I have done oil changes on cars and bikes previously, so I am fairly capable of undertaking this task. Having looked at youtube, I see that you will need an oil filter housing tool to get the filter off. I need some information with regards to the bolt sizes and torque setting for the sump nut and oil filter. Also, what oil will I need?

I thank you in advance for your help

Hello, welcome to the forum. Some very knowledgable and helpfiul people on here.

Certainly a rip off. The oil and filter should be under £45 so £255 for what is about a 1/2 hour job in a garage. It would only take me about an hour on my driveway! Further advice will be along shortly.

The beauty of doing it yourself is that you know what oil is going in, that the filter has actually been changed. A garage that rips off customers on price probably also does not do what you pay fo. So probably a double rip off.

• Thanks 1

Check first if doing it yourself will invalidate the remainder of your warranty, unless you're not fussed of course.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, starfield said:

Well I have a 16 plate Yaris Hybrid with 14k on the clock. It needs an oil and filter change. The dealer has quoted me £300 which I feel is a rip off.

Toyota servicing is every 12 months or 10,000 miles, whichever occurs first, with a full service due at 2 years, 4 years, and so on. So for a 2016 Yaris which has done less than 10,000 miles per year, the dealer would have quoted for a full service, not just an oil and filter change.

DIY servicing won't satisfy the requirements of the warranty.

The filter is a spin on type you can use a cup or a band to remove it, £300 is a full service, but that does include the hybrid health check what they used to charge £45 for (plug the computer in and do a motor stall test etc.)

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/

The filter should be an OC534 (Mahle) you can get the oem filter for £10-15

Removal tool

https://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-62587-mahle-filter-removal-tool-ocs-4-ocs4.aspx

Just done mine. Don't know what the sump plug torque is, but I do 'sensible'. I always fit a new washer. The filters I buy come with a sheet of paper giving the torque for the filter drain plug and filter housing. Included with the filter is a nylon 'tool' to drain the housing. I've never succeeded in pushing it in, so I've shaved one to fit more easily. Both the filter housing drain plug and housing removal tool use a 3/8" square drive.IMG_20200616_0001.pdf

Edited by bathtub tom
Just realised OP has a hybrid, mine's petrol.

4 minutes ago, bathtub tom said:

Just done mine. Don't know what the sump plug torque is, but I do 'sensible'. I always fit a new washer. The filters I buy come with a sheet of paper giving the torque for the filter drain plug and filter housing. Included with the filter is a nylon 'tool' to drain the housing. I've never succeeded in pushing it in, so I've shaved one to fit more easily. Both the filter housing drain plug and housing removal tool use a 3/8" square drive.IMG_20200616_0001.pdf

1.5 1nz-fxe uses a spin on filter

sump nut is 38Nm or just nip up the nut

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, starfield said:

Not bothered by the warranty

Not bothered about the Hybrid Battery health check either?

Why do people spend good money on a car then cheap out on service? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolando1 said:

Why do people spend good money on a car then cheap out on service? 

Because of the enormous difference in prices. 

20 hours ago, flash22 said:

1.5 1nz-fxe uses a spin on filter

sump nut is 38Nm or just nip up the nut

38Nm it is then. Thanks

One more thing, I almost forgot. How many litres does it take?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links