Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Throttle body

Welshgaz

Hi can anyone help me out with this when I stop at a junction my revs drop and it feels like it's going to cut out its a xt3 2.0 could it be the throttle body or sensor I haven't used the car properly for weeks with this lock down in Wales 

It could be numerous things so unfortunately speculation won't help you. Visit your nearest reliable garage when it's safe and convenient to do so.

Regards

20 minutes ago, HS78 said:

It could be numerous things so unfortunately speculation won't help you. Visit your nearest reliable garage when it's safe and convenient to do so.

Regards

Thanks 

Has it thrown any codes or put the eml light on

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Has it thrown any codes or put the eml light on

No code or light on 

Have you had a flat Battery ? if so the ecu may need to relearn the throttle position

12 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Have you had a flat battery ? if so the ecu may need to relearn the throttle position

I fitted a new Battery last week how do I do that

From the Toyota Repair manual:

1. Idle speed is controlled by Engine Control Module (ECM) and is not adjustable. Check idle speed with
engine at normal operating temperature, transmission/transaxle in Neutral, parking brake applied, air
cleaner and all air intake hoses installed, all vacuum hoses installed, electronic fuel injection system
wiring connectors properly installed, ignition timing properly set, electric cooling fan off (if equipped),
and A/C and all accessories off.
2. Start engine and warm engine to normal operating temperature. Shut engine off. Connect Toyota handheld
tester or scan tool to data link connector No. 3 at driver's side of instrument panel. See Fig. 43 -Fig.
50 . Hand-held tester or scan tool is used to read engine RPM.
3. Apply parking brake. Place transmission/transaxle in Neutral. Start engine and maintain engine at 2500
RPM for 90 seconds and then allow engine to idle while noting idle speed. Ensure idle speed is within
specification. See IDLE SPEED SPECIFICATIONS table. Shut engine off. Remove hand-held tester or
scan tool.
4. If idle speed is not within specification, check Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, wiring and Engine Control
Module (ECM), and air intake system. See IDLE CONTROL SYSTEMS in SYSTEM & COMPONENT
TESTING - 4-CYLINDER article.

The specified Idle Speed is between 650 and 750 rpm.

If the ECM does relearn throttle position, there is no mention of this in the manual, so it must be automatic.  You could try driving the car at full throttle for a short time (when road condtions permit) in case that is part of a self-calibration procedure, but I doubt it.

Drive the car and vary the speed and throttle position it should relearn - failing that disconnect the Battery for 15-20 mins and let the ecu reset

Most ecu's of the last 30 years are self learning they can map the idle, tps, fuel trims, ignition and lots of other systems

Not everything is in a manual, most is common sense or learnt

6 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Drive the car and vary the speed and throttle position it should relearn - failing that disconnect the battery for 15-20 mins and let the ecu reset

Most ecu's of the last 30 years are self learning they can map the idle, tps, fuel trims, ignition and lots of other systems

Not everything is in a manual, most is common sense or learnt

Thanks will try that

57 minutes ago, IanML said:

1. Idle speed is controlled by Engine Control Module (ECM) and is not adjustable. Check idle speed with
engine at normal operating temperature, transmission/transaxle in Neutral, parking brake applied, air
cleaner and all air intake hoses installed, all vacuum hoses installed, electronic fuel injection system
wiring connectors properly installed, ignition timing properly set, electric cooling fan off (if equipped),
2. Start engine and warm engine to normal operating temperature. Shut engine off. Connect Toyota handheld
tester or scan tool to data link connector No. 3 at driver's side of instrument panel. See Fig. 43 -Fig.
3. Apply parking brake. Place transmission/transaxle in Neutral. Start engine and maintain engine at 2500
RPM for 90 seconds and then allow engine to idle while noting idle speed. Ensure idle speed is within
specification. See IDLE SPEED SPECIFICATIONS table. Shut engine off. Remove hand-held tester or
scan tool.
4. If idle speed is not within specification, check Idle Air Control (IAC) valve, wiring and Engine Control
Module (ECM), and air intake system. See IDLE CONTROL SYSTEMS in SYSTEM & COMPONENT

If the ECM does relearn throttle position, there is no mention of this in the manual, so it must be automatic.  You could try driving the car at full throttle for a short time (when road condtions permit) in case that is part of a self-calibration procedure, but I doubt it.

Cheers

Thanks for the help just taken it for a run and it seems fine now

3 hours ago, IanML said:

scan tool.

Cheers

It is normally ECU re-learn if you change the Battery (I had the same situation).

The idle should settle afte a number of engine off & on; 4~5 in my case.

Old fuel can also be a culprit

1 minute ago, bonjo said:

It is normally ECU re-learn if you change the battery (I had the same situation).

The idle should settle afte a number of engine off & on; 4~5 in my case.

Old fuel can also be a culprit

It's going like a dream now

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links