Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2nd gear issue rav 4

Richard Houston

Hi all.

Am a new member and have a Rav 4 2.2 D Cat  Dec2006 manual.   She is crunching when I drop into 2 nd gear . Feels like synchro issue is it an engine out job.??

Anyone any idea of cost ?    Thanks

Hello Richard - welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Rav4 club

11 hours ago, Richard Houston said:

Hi all.

Am a new member and have a Rav 4 2.2 D Cat  Dec2006 manual.   She is crunching when I drop into 2 nd gear . Feels like synchro issue is it an engine out job.??

Anyone any idea of cost ?    Thanks

How long have you had the car and what are you comparing it to?

This has been raised a number of times; I had a 2009 D-Cat that behaved similarly ... It's a 'design feature'. You just have to 'learn' how to use the box properly - make sure that the clutch is fully depressed (I suspect that it is!) and pause for a fraction of a second in neutral - i.e. make the gear change in two steps rather than one ...

Hi Philip.   I have had the car from new perfect no probs then one day after driving perfectly it just started ti crunch in second gear only. Tried slow easy change and a slow double de clutch ...no difference. Crunches every time: with it being the six speed box I can nearly get away with missing 2nd but have had enough of it now.   Cheers

• Like 1

I Have a Suzuki which crunches into 2nd-  It's fairly common with that box.  Apparently it's something to do with the close clearances in Japanese gearboxes.  The cure in my case is Castrol Syntrax Universal oil of the appropriate viscosity specified by the manufacturer.  e.g. this one     95% sure that it will do the trick.

Thanks Ian will give that a try.