Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Carista and fiddling with customised settings Corolla hybrid GR Sports 2L

Louie

Hi Guys hope you are all in charge of your respective marbles in these trying times as I am slowly beginning to loose mine the reasons for this loss is explained below.

Recently i decided not to make a pointless trip to the dealer for him to fiddle with  customised settings on  my vehicle. So I purchased an ODB Carista dongle from Amazon for about £25.00. At the point of configuration the app demanded £9.99 for one month usage or £33 for  a year this seemed reasonable so i forked out a for a month,

Now what did  i manage to do ? well to my surprise 1) enable remote opening closing of all windows 2) altered interior lights on timing 3) HUD orientation setting 4) altered AC settings for easier control 5)alteration of car venting 6) Rear passenger seat belt alarm disabling as if you place a heavy bag on the seat the vehicle thinks  I am carrying a passenger. . I am still trying to come to grips with some of the settings which i do not understand.

I have three main gripes at the moment which is how can i enable autolocking of all doors after the vehicle has moved off without using doing it manually.

The one thing that drives me totally barmy is the boot lid it which locks itself after you have exited the vehicle and you have to either play with the power button or remote key to get the dam thing to open. 

There appears to be a mystery sequence you have to follow to enable you to lock the vehicle once you hit the power off button and exited.  The vehicle makes a dinging noise when you open the door to leave but then fails to lock after you have shut everything via the remote fob unless i go back to the vehicle and play with the power button what am i doing wrong ?

All recommendations gratefully received but please please dont ask me to visit my dealer.

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

Hi Guys 

I forgot to mention that you can use your Iphone/Ipad  to scan and alter the settings by using The Carista App from the Apple online store and I think it was free.The dongle talks to your iphone/ipad via bluetooth and glows red/orange when connected via the OBD socket located as shown in the image downloaded in my previous scribe.

3 hours ago, Louie said:

Hi Guys hope you are all in charge of your respective marbles in these trying times as I am slowly beginning to loose mine the reasons for this loss is explained below.

Recently i decided not to make a pointless trip to the dealer for him to fiddle with  customised settings on  my vehicle. So I purchased an ODB Carista dongle from Amazon for about £25.00. At the point of configuration the app demanded £9.99 for one month usage or £33 for  a year this seemed reasonable so i forked out a for a month,

Now what did  i manage to do ? well to my surprise 1) enable remote opening closing of all windows 2) altered interior lights on timing 3) HUD orientation setting 4) altered AC settings for easier control 5)alteration of car venting 6) Rear passenger seat belt alarm disabling as if you place a heavy bag on the seat the vehicle thinks  I am carrying a passenger. . I am still trying to come to grips with some of the settings which i do not understand.

I have three main gripes at the moment which is how can i enable autolocking of all doors after the vehicle has moved off without using doing it manually.

The one thing that drives me totally barmy is the boot lid it which locks itself after you have exited the vehicle and you have to either play with the power button or remote key to get the dam thing to open. 

There appears to be a mystery sequence you have to follow to enable you to lock the vehicle once you hit the power off button and exited.  The vehicle makes a dinging noise when you open the door to leave but then fails to lock after you have shut everything via the remote fob unless i go back to the vehicle and play with the power button what am i doing wrong ?

All recommendations gratefully received but please please dont ask me to visit my dealer.

IMG_2853.JPG

IMG_2856.JPG

IMG_2858.JPG

There is no customisable function for auto door lock when moving off, it is not a given function.

As for door locks, I'm not sure what has been set on your GR, however normal function on a Corolla with smart start but not smart entry is all doors unlock with with a single press of the unlock button on the key ( boot opens with a squeeze on the tailgate opener button, it will not open if the ignition is on ) and for switching off you should only need to place transmission in Park, single press of the stop/start switch, then exit the car and lock with a single press of the lock button ( the chime after ign off with drivers door open is normal )

Here is the customisable functions of for the door lock on a Hybrid  HB/TS with smart start & without smart entry:

Tester Display

Description

Setting

ECU

Wireless Control

Function that turns the wireless door lock control system on or off

ON

0:OFF,1:ON

Main body ECU (Multiplex network body ECU)

Open Door Warning

Function that sounds a buzzer when the lock switch is pressed when any of the doors are ajar

ON

Unlock 2 Operation

Function that unlocks the driver door when the unlock switch on the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly is pressed once, and unlocks all of the doors when pressed twice. If this setting is OFF, pressing the unlock switch once unlocks all of the doors.

OFF

Trunk Lid Operation

Function to change the operation method of opening the luggage compartment door using the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly*

1tim ON: Push the luggage compartment door open switch once

2tim ON: Push the luggage compartment door open switch twice

Long1: Push the luggage compartment door open switch for 0.8 seconds

Long2: Push the luggage compartment door open switch for 1.6 seconds

Prohibit: Wireless luggage compartment door open function is off

Long1

000:1tim ON,001:2tim ON,010:Long1,011:Long2,111:Prohibit

Auto Lock Time

Function that regulates the interval between unlocking and automatic relocking of the doors

30 s

00:30 s,01:60 s,10:120 s

P/W Wireless Ope Buzz

Function that enables/disables the wireless power window buzzer response

ON

• *: for Sedan

1. Customizing with the multi-display

1. Turn the power switch on (IG).

2. Enter the following menus: SETUP / Vehicle / Vehicle customisation / Door lock settings.

3. Select the setting by referring to the table below.

Display

Description

Setting

Relevant ECU

Remote 2-press unlock

Function that unlocks the driver door when the unlock switch on the electrical key transmitter sub-assembly is pressed once, and unlocks all of the doors when pressed twice. If this setting is OFF, pressing the unlock switch once unlocks all of the doors.

Off

On or Off

Auto relock timer

Function that regulates the interval between unlocking and automatic relocking of the doors

30 sec.

30 sec, 60 sec or 120 sec

• Like 1

Can you list or screenshot all of the features that you can change? I am thinking of buying one

• Like 1

Here are the settings in Carista 

Dings & Warnings

Ding when headlights are left on
*YES* / NO

Remote low Battery warning
*ON* / OFF

Driver Assist

Default distance for Pre-Collision System (PCS) alarm when the PCS switch is turned off and back on
*NORMAL* / REMEMBER LAST DISTANCE

Default distance for Pre-Collision System (PCS) alarm when the ignition is turned on with the PCS switch off
*NORMAL* / REMEMBER LAST DISTANCE 

Heater & A/C

Auto-turn on A/C when AUTO button pressed (if needed)
*YES* / NO

Auto-turn on recirculate mode when A/C is on
YES / *NO*

Open vents to outside air when ignition is turned off
*YES* / NO

Auto-increase blower speed when front defroster is on
YES / *NO*

Open air flow to footwell when AUTO button pressed
*YES* / NO

Ambient temperature calibration
-3°C / -2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C / +3°C

A/C ECO mode
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

A/C compressor noise reduction
*ENABLED* / DISABLED 

Instruments: Displays & Nav

Instrument lights dimming sensitivity
DARKEST / DARKER / NORMAL / *LIGHTER* / LIGHTEST

Instrument lights restoring sensitivity
DARKEST / DARKER / *NORMAL* / LIGHTER / LIGHTEST

Engine start indicator *ON* / OFF 

Instruments: Heads-Up Display (HUD)

Image distortion in heads-up display (HUD)
CONCAVE HIGH / CONCAVE MEDIUM / CONCAVE LOW / DEFAULT / CONVEX LOW / CONVEX MEDIUM / *CONVEX HIGH* 

Lights: Automatic

Auto headlights activation threshold
DARKEST / DARKER / *NORMAL* / LIGHTER / LIGHTEST 

Lights: Exterior

Coming-home lights duration
*30 SECONDS* / 60 SECONDS / 90 SECONDS / 120 SECONDS 

Lights: Interior

Interior light control
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Turn on interior lights when you shut off engine
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior lights when you unlock doors
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior lights when smart key in range
*YES* / NO

Dim interior lights after…
7 SECONDS / *15 SECONDS* / 30 SECONDS

Interior footlight (bright when doors open, dim when driving)
*YES* / NO

Interior lights linked to footlight
*YES* / NO

Turn on interior door-handle & center console lights dimly (flood lights) when ignition is on and shifter is not in park (P)
*YES* / NO 

Locking: Automatic

Wireless door locking
*ENABLED* / DISABLED

Re-lock doors automatically if you unlock, but don't open a door within…
*30 SECONDS* / 60 SECONDS / 120 SECONDS 

Locking: Doors & Alarm

Unlock doors via remote
DRIVER'S DOOR ON 1ST PRESS, ALL ON 2ND / *ALL DOORS ON 1ST PRESS*

Unlock doors via physical key

Unlock doors via smart key (door handle button)

Warn (beep) when door can't be locked because it's still open
*YES* / NO

Warn (beep) when a window is still open when locking doors
*YES* / NO

Warn (beep) when sunroof is still open when locking doors
*YES* / NO

Disarm the alarm when unlocking with key from door lock
YES / *NO*  

Locking: Smart Key

Stop monitoring for car key signal after…

Smart key location to start car
FRONT SEATS / *ANYWHERE IN VEHICLE* 

Mirrors

Auto fold side-view mirrors (req. power folding mirrors)
WITH IGNITION / *WITH DOOR LOCKS* / DISABLED 

Parking Sensors

Parking sensor beep volume
LOW / *MEDIUM* / HIGH

Rear center parking sensor range
SHORT / *LONG*
Trunk

Open trunk lid with remote
*SINGLE CLICK* / DOUBLE CLICK / LONG PRESS / VERY LONG PRESS / DISABLED

Unlock trunk when doors are unlocked
*ON* / OFF  

Windows & Sunroof

Open windows and sunroof via long-press on remote
*ON* / OFF

Close windows and sunroof via long-press on remote
*ON* / OFF

Open windows and sunroof by turning and holding key in door lock
ON / *OFF*

Close windows and sunroof by turning and holding key in door lock
ON / *OFF*

Beep when opening/closing windows with remote
*YES* / NO

Open driver's window using single button press
*YES* / NO

Close driver's window using single button press
*YES* / NO

Open passenger's window using single button press
*YES* / NO

Close passenger's window using single button press
*YES* / NO

Rear-left window single-touch-close
*YES* / NO

Rear-left window single-touch-close
*YES* / NO

Rear-right window single-touch-close
*YES* / NO

Rear-right window single-touch-close
*YES* / NO

Passenger window single-touch-open from driver's switch
*YES* / NO

Passenger window single-touch-close from driver's switch
*YES* / NO

Rear-left window single-touch-open from driver's switch
*YES* / NO

Rear-left window single-touch-close from driver's switch
*YES* / NO

Rear-right window single-touch-open from driver's switch
*YES* / NO

Rear-right window single-touch-close from driver's switch
*YES* / NO 

Wipers & Washer

Automatic wipers (using rain sensor)
*YES* / NO  

Anyone knows what this does?
Stop monitoring for car key signal after  Default setting is 5 days, can be set to 0 days.

I don`t understand why these settings are so limited. Even in techstream it is completely the same.

I would like to activate following functions but they don`t exist:

- automatic locking of doors while vehicle is moving

- acoustic signal when locking the doors

- rear lights always on

• Like 1

Andy the setting stops your vehicle recognising you have the fob in the car hence it will not start and to be honest i dont understand the logic. I am not sure if this is a Toyota security fix for keyless entry/start  car thefts but i am certain that our car monkeys have found a way round it.

JT the lack of these settings is very annoying though having said that there may be a more sophisticated OBD2 such as the Blue that may have these but it is around £99. There are many more sophisticated scanners costing up to £2500 on the market the trick is to find one that has these settings, is compatible with your vehicle and wont blow up your wallet. I really dont want to be visiting the dealer for an answer. Our friendly contributor Lee claims this is not an available function which i find very odd as it is a simple logical function and was available on my VW GOLF GTD models from as far back a 2016 so i miss it quite a bit. I need to do more research as i consider it an important safety feature lack of which is a serious omission by Toyota.

• Like 1

I've seen lots of videos from vw group using these obd tools and they seem to have way more options that they can change. So you're saying that other obd tools have more options? Since  i also hate going to the dealer just for every minor issue that i may have, can you please link the other obd scanners that can work on the corolla?

• Like 1

Techstream is official Toyota software for editing these parameters. Mentioned options are non-existent and cannot be changed. I believe these functions are set in ECU and can be changed only when it is unlocked or hacked in some other way. But say goodbye to warranty then...

• Like 2

On 6/18/2020 at 9:53 PM, Rav4ster said:

Anyone knows what this does?
Stop monitoring for car key signal after  Default setting is 5 days, can be set to 0 days.

Sorry, no. My assumption is that it has something to do with the alert you get when you leave a key fob in the car and the car beeps when you shut the door or try to lock them in the car, or if you have keyless entry, switches that off? 

• Like 1

Unfortunately the settings for auto lock vehicle after moving off and auto lock after leaving the vehicle and forgetting to lock it are not available for the Corolla Hybrid Gr Sports. This information was passed on by a couple of Toyota dealers. A lack of this option which is a basic safety feature is alarming i guess Toyota got lost in the jungle car gimmicks and forgot to implement the basic ones.☹️

Did the following on my RAV4 MK5 with Carista adapter and the app

• Soft indicators from 3 to 5
  • Monitoring for key from 5 days to 1 day and did not see any negative effect, but according to some forums it puts less strain on the 12v Battery
  • Enabled opening and closing of all windows from the key. Found out the hard way that when opened windows via remote, but did not open any doors, alarm will be active and is activated when I tried to open a door without a key nearby (very loud alarm)

Cannot say for Corolla, but auto lock / unlock in RAV4 is set in the car menu (no carista needed) and works well, linked to the gear selector.

One more thing, Carista adapter does not read ECU information correctly on the Toyota HSD4 cars, so you cannot use Hybrid Assistan for example.

17 hours ago, Rav4ster said:

Cannot say for Corolla, but auto lock / unlock in RAV4 is set in the car menu (no carista needed) and works well, linked to the gear selector.

See, this inconsistency is something i don`t understand from Toyota. Both are based on tnga platform and don`t have the same basic functions...

16 minutes ago, BigPoppaSLO said:

See, this inconsistency is something i don`t understand from Toyota. Both are based on tnga platform and don`t have the same basic functions...

The fact that both use the TNGA platform has nothing to do with what electronic features different ranges have.

You forgot to add word basic in front of electronic features, what door locking actually is. 🙂 There is no logical explanation why you can activate this functionality on rav4 and not on corolla.

It is understandable that you cannot change 4x4 drive parameters on corolla, because it doesn`t have the necessary hardware installed. But i am sure that they use the same central management computer (or very similar), relays and actuators in corolla and rav4. After all that`s a major point of a shared platform, as many parts as possible shared between different models.

1 hour ago, BigPoppaSLO said:

You forgot to add word basic in front of electronic features

No. It isn't down to you to inform others how or what they should post.

Note Toyota are not affiliated with this forum, we do not know if they even look at it and they certainly do not respond here, The only possible way action can be taken if the lack of a feature is so very important to you is to put your complaint in writing to Toyota customer relations in your market area, if sufficient numbers do so then action may be taken and whilst there is no guarantee current cars get upgraded it may mean the feature is added in future products.

Apple Carplay / android auto is a prime example of this Toyota fully intended to introduce their own in car integration called Toyota smart device link see HERE but pressure from owners / potential customers made Toyota sideline their choice, install AA/CP in new models and progress a retro fit of Android auto/ Carplay instead