Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rav4 hybrid question

Markymark12

Hi all. new to the forum. I'm looking to buy a rav4 hybrid probably around a 16 plate. Can anyone tell what to look out for (common faults etc) average real mpg, what sort of mileage can they go up to, any problems with the cvt or batteries. Thanks in advance.

I’ve got a 20 plate rav4 4x4 collected from the dealer in March My average fuel consumption has settled to about 52 MPG I’m very happy with this. 

Had a 66 plate, no issues with it the batteries have an excellent reputation for reliability. Real mpg on a 2.5 litre hybrid around 40-45 mpg

I have a 4th generation first registered March 2019.  No problems.
Summer 50mpg winter 40mpg.  Does depend on weather and use of heater.

Thanks for the replies, what was the longest you could go on electric only for

On a flat road, at 30mph I reckon 5 miles.  Back to the MPG last summer pottering around Nottinghamshire country lanes at around 30mph I often got 75mpg.

Once you get to around 45 mph plus you will lose electric mode and be Petrol only. How long in electric depends on speed, weather and gradient so hard to give an exact answer. I would say 2-3 miles max, better in summer 

I agree at around 45mph (on a flat road) the petrol engine comes in, but the electric motors are working all the time supporting the petrol power.  Usually electric to front wheels, but also to rear (if AWD) if the car senses it is needed.

What does "Plate" means/stand for.?

Is it about manufacturing or model year ?

Plate refers to the registration date of car in the U.K.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, HSDish said:

What does "Plate" means/stand for.?

Is it about manufacturing or model year ?

In the UK, 'number plate' is a commonly used term for vehicle registration plate.

The attached image shows the current system, though as the UK has now left the EU the new plates no longer show the EU symbol, though we can still use country identifiers.

The Driver Vehicle Licencing Agency (a Government agency) issues a vehicle a registration plate when a new car is first registered for use on the road (ie when the new owner takes delivery). The plate stays with the vehicle throughout its life, unless a personalised plate is substituted (see later paragraph).

Current system (from September 2001)

The first 2 letters are an Area Code - the first depicting the DVLA mnenomic for a City or Region, the second depicting a more local area

The two numbers depict the six month period in which the car was first registered in (51 - Sept 2001 to February 2002, 02 - March 2002 to August 2002, 52 - September 2002 to February 2003, and so on). We are currently on '20' - vehicles first registered between March 2020 and August 2020.

The final three letters are random.

Personalised plates

UK owners may also buy personalised plates, which either may use the current system or the previous system prior to Sept 2001. For example, about five years ago the personalised plate FR05TYS was sold at one of DVLA's auctions. Owners can arrange with DVLA to swap a personalised plate from vehicle to vehicle on change of ownership.

UK number plate.png

• Thanks 1