Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota start producing the Rav4 based Suzuki SUV for Europe

FROSTYBALLS

Ordered a company car Rav4 august 2019 and it has constantly been put back and back.

For Toyota to start building for another company when they can't fulfil there orders is just a kick in the teeth.

The PHEV (prime) goes on sale shortly and I'm sure will be very popular and also have long wait times.

• 2 weeks later...

Test drove a Vitara the other day and the dealer was telling me they were getting RAV4s, was very excited. I assumed as it was a multi franchise dealer they were adding Toyota, but it seems Suzuki are going to actually re-badge them. It will be interesting to see the pricing as Suzuki are strong on value for money. Apparently Toyota get the Vitara in return to market as the next Toyota Urban Cruiser. Suzuki desperately need something bigger like the RAV, the biggest, the SX4 is still small. The RAV is the best way to add a bigger car without pushing brand average CO2 up and suffering more punishment from the EU targets.

6 hours ago, Rav Rob said:

Test drove a Vitara the other day and the dealer was telling me they were getting RAV4s, was very excited. I assumed as it was a multi franchise dealer they were adding Toyota, but it seems Suzuki are going to actually re-badge them. It will be interesting to see the pricing as Suzuki are strong on value for money. Apparently Toyota get the Vitara in return to market as the next Toyota Urban Cruiser. Suzuki desperately need something bigger like the RAV, the biggest, the SX4 is still small. The RAV is the best way to add a bigger car without pushing brand average CO2 up and suffering more punishment from the EU targets.

If you anticipating the Suzuki “RAV4” will be cheaper then the Toyota then expect some differences like interior trim. We all know the Aygo is built in the same EU factory as the Citroen C1 and Peugeot equivalent, but interior trim is superior in the Aygo which leads to higher price. Same principle will apply I think with Toyota/Suzuki relationship for the RAV4 and whatever Suzuki call it.

According to Autocar, its not the standard RAV4 Suzuki is getting its the 'prime' PHEV, which makes sense if Suzuki's aim is to drop group CO2 average.

26 minutes ago, Rav Rob said:

According to Autocar, its not the standard RAV4 Suzuki is getting its the 'prime' PHEV, which makes sense if Suzuki's aim is to drop group CO2 average.

Yes indeed ... the pictures of the Across within the report show 'filler flaps' on both sides!

It does seem an 'odd' decision ... ?

The Rav4/Across is just one part of the collaboration. Suzuki will also have a version of the Corolla Touring Sport. Toyota are getting access to Suzuki's new petrol engines for compact cars, built by Toyota Poland. Presume these may first be seen in the new Yaris - although suspect the UK may only get Yaris hybrids.

Back in 2009 Suzuki and VW formed a partnership - Suzuki was to get access to VW tech on hybrids and diesel engines as they didn't have the resources to develop these themselves, and VW was to use Suzuki's expertise in small cars for countries such as India. However, Suzuki forced an end to the partnership in 2015 after not getting access to diesel engines from VW, and having to source them from Fiat.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, griff279 said:

Ordered a company car Rav4 august 2019 and it has constantly been put back and back.

For Toyota to start building for another company when they can't fulfil there orders is just a kick in the teeth.

The PHEV (prime) goes on sale shortly and I'm sure will be very popular and also have long wait times.

Its quite possible your fleet company exceeded their supply cap, all dealers / fleet companies have supply limits on them on a quarterly basis to ensure no one large dealer or Fleet company can monopolise the supply however whilst Toyota can penalise dealers for over promising they cannot stop the fleet companies selling way more than they are allocated and letting purchasers wait it out.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:36 AM, griff279 said:

That's terrible. I would be asking to cancel. Perhaps look at the Ford Kuga PHEV instead, same size, about the same price, way lower company car tax, I know someone who just ordered one and is expecting delivery in August... the same year, not the next!

If the fleet company has exceeded their supply cap, it is the fleet company's fault, not Toyota's.

On 7/1/2020 at 5:26 AM, Catlover said:

...We all know the Aygo is built in the same EU factory as the Citroen C1 and Peugeot equivalent, but interior trim is superior in the Aygo which leads to higher price...

The Aygo also gets the Toyota 5 year warranty, the Citroen only gets 3 years/60,000 miles, I think the Peugeot is the same.

5 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

If the fleet company has exceeded their supply cap, it is the fleet company's fault, not Toyota's.

The fleet company still goes through a main dealer and perhaps that's why i'm still waiting.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:23 PM, griff279 said:

The fleet company still goes through a main dealer and perhaps that's why i'm still waiting.

Some fleet companies do have local purchasing options from dealers most don't and purchase direct from Toyota