Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DIY - Dent repair

preecyp

The wife has been moaning about this dent in her Aygo for a few months now and its starting to rust. Got a quote from a local garage but they were wanting £350 to fill and spray. Don't fancy paying that sort of money on a 10 year old Aygo but i'd like to get the missus off my back.

How difficult would a diy fix be baring in mind I've never used filler or spayed a car before? Should i avoid a diy fix? Is £350 a high price?

IMG_0200.jpg

You can't fill with body filler the crease that would need a dent pulling

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Thats double skinned and creased, that needs to be pulled, welded, ground back, filled then painted £350 is a good price

an insurance company would write the car off for damage like that

you may be able to use a hot glue PDR tool and slowly pull it with small footprint pull tabs with a slide hammed or gun type tool

With that damage, I'd pay the money.

Ok thansk all. Sounds more difficult than i thought.
Can't bring myself to pay £350 on a 10 year old Aygo. It's not our main car and used rarely. I doubt the cars worth more than £1.5k.
Do you think a pdr kit is worth a go? If so any recommendations on which one to buy?

Aygo's are in a bit of a bubble 07-08 plate ones go for £1800 private, 10 plate i can see in the upper £2k range (if it has AC)

I had a dent on the lower side of my mk1 aygo, fixed for around £300, bigger than yours, but for that price it was worth it. if you intend on keeping the car until it dies, then I don't think its worth fixing it, I used a wax rust protection cream on it for a while until I had the pennies to get it fixed.

At least get some wet and dry sandpaper and get rid of that rust, apply a few coats of primer and get a touch up brush from Halfords .

If you leave it, the rust will just get worse.

the hot glue pdr kits are ok if you dont have a crease in the metal and its more unlikely not to work with a creased small dent.

Rang around a few body repair shops yesterday. Surprisingly i was quoted £100 to have the dent pulled and the paint work made good! Seems pretty cheap but i'm sure they'd do a better job at it than me. 

how did your wife manage to get a dent in that body panel

if it where a bumper it wouldn't of surprised me 🙂

The £100 quote will be pdr, i have pulled worse with pdr tool but you will not pull the hard crease, you will get it looking better

A dent at that height, i would think it either a back of a truck, a fire escape or even a gate

£350 to get the wife of your back ....sounds cheap at the price 👍🏻👍🏻

• Haha 3

On 6/21/2020 at 10:01 AM, eygo said:

how did your wife manage to get a dent in that body panel

if it where a bumper it wouldn't of surprised me 🙂

Happened in a multi story car park. She was parked there most of the day while at work. Came back to find wing mirror hanging off and that dent. I managed to replace the wing mirror but kept putting off sorting the dent out. Anyhow, cars in for an mot & service tomorrow and getting the dent pulled out next week so all is good again... assuming there are no unwelcome mot surprises!

On 6/24/2020 at 6:40 PM, preecyp said:

Happened in a multi story car park. She was parked there most of the day while at work. Came back to find wing mirror hanging off and that dent. I managed to replace the wing mirror but kept putting off sorting the dent out. Anyhow, cars in for an mot & service tomorrow and getting the dent pulled out next week so all is good again... assuming there are no unwelcome mot surprises!

pfft the old oops, lets run away. Somebody did a good surface scratch on my mk1 Aygo once, good thing it buffed off.