Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EPB overhaul and reset?

Jojoba

Hi all, considering an 09 Avensis Tourer as a daily driver for myself. Came to check out the forum and pleased to see it is an active one- that usually makes ownership and maintenance a lot easier! Have read up on the quirks, foibles and issues around the car and my only reservation is regarding the EPB. I do whatever servicing I can but am unsure if this job is dealer only? Any advice on this OR advice on looking at a 150k mile 1.8 vvti model would be appreciated.

you will need a scan tool that will do Toyota EPB iirc Autel and launch do a reasonable priced one

Thanks for the quick response Bob, if anyone has any recommendations of tried and tested diagnostic / service tools that would be great... Hoping to view car this week on my day off. 

2 hours ago, Jojoba said:

Thanks for the quick response Bob, if anyone has any recommendations of tried and tested diagnostic / service tools that would be great... Hoping to view car this week on my day off. 

Get Techstream plus a lead.  Check out eBay.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Get Techstream plus a lead.  Check out eBay.

I agree. Use an old laptop.
From experience an older version of Techstream is the is better than a cheaper scanner. In fact a not so cheap scanner I used, cause a problem with the EPB - resetting after brake pad change. Techstream fixed the issue that the scanner couldn't. It also happened to another member using another brand scanner! I also have Delphi which is quite good, but Techstream is better for Toyota's.   

No scan tool is requires to reset the epb. I've never had any problems manually resetting the epb, without the use of any special computers or programs.  I can't quite remember the procedure off hand but I'm sure it's as simple as activating the epb and then deactivating it using the switch and then re- deactivating and holding the switch in that position for upto 10 seconds. U should hear the rear brakes release just a wee bit further. I'm sure u could search on Google.

Thanks for your input gents, I did read through many posts to get an idea of what to look for in the way of quirks, foibles, possible issues and common problems plus fixes for them. I realise all cars have them and the owners clubs / car forums can give the impression that they are worse than they are. After reading a couple of threads, I posted yesterday to get a more balanced view of the EPB and D.I.Y. servicing the rear brakes. I appreciate the advice and should I buy the car will look at Techstream as a diagnostic / service tool and no doubt ask more questions some of you may be bored of hearing ( yet again ).