Do Not Sell My Personal Information

In a owners prospective what is the better hybrid 1.8 or 2.0

Speedster123

In a owners prospective what is the better hybrid 1.8 or 2.0 As I want one as my next car as touring sports but stuck on what engine to go for?

• Like 2

As the current Corolla has only been on sale for 15 months, you're unlikely to get ownership experience of both - ie you may get views from members who own a 1.8 or a 2.0.

Better in what respects?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s mainly everyday performance and fuel economy I know there is a difference but just wanted to know how much difference there actually is?

• Like 1

I have the 1.8 and it's just alright, fortunately with the electric motor you get a pretty good acceleration from a stand still but as you accelerate more and more the less power you get. I would suggest  to do a test drive with both engines and see which one you like most. However the consensus is this, if most of your driving is in the city and you're usually stuck in traffic and you don't go on the motorway all that often go for the 1.8. If you do go on the motorway a lot (and you don't want a diesel) you go for the 2.0 for the added power that you get. The 2.0 gets similar consumtion figures in town but in general i'd say the figures are usually 1 - 2 liters higher consumtion (this is of the top of my head, other members with the 2.0 engine can correct me). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1.8 or 2.0 for M-Way driving?    All depends what driving style you prefer.  I didnt have a choice 1.8 or 2.0 because I got a Prius, but even on MWay journeys I very happy. I can cruise comfortablly at 70mph, but dont like being in a cluster of vehicles at that spped (or any really) so if I get a safe opportunity i will acceterate away easily until their is a reasonable gap between me and the rest. So a 1.8 Corolla would be absolutely fine with me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Catlover said:

1.8 or 2.0 for M-Way driving?    All depends what driving style you prefer.  I didnt have a choice 1.8 or 2.0 because I got a Prius, but even on MWay journeys I very happy. I can cruise comfortablly at 70mph, but dont like being in a cluster of vehicles at that spped (or any really) so if I get a safe opportunity i will acceterate away easily until their is a reasonable gap between me and the rest. So a 1.8 Corolla would be absolutely fine with me.

I’m a fairly relaxed driver just wanted to find out how good the engine was for overtaking when needed thanks for your help.

I had a test drive with both engine sizes before ordering the 2.0 (well SWMBO told the salesman the engine size, colour and spec we were having when he asked me and I was not arguing with her as I was getting what I actually wanted plus additional brownie points for it looking like it being her choice!).  I'm also a fairly relaxed driver but the 2.0 was chosen mainly due to the longer distance touring we like to do with bikes on the tow bar and a boot full of luggage.  There is definitely more poke when the need arises with the 2.0, and the mpg is hovering around 55 with the engine yet to be run in. Both are an excellent choice and I don't think either will disappoint, just test drive both over the same route/roads before making your mind up (we had a couple of hours with each car so got a realistic comparison on various road types).

• Like 5

I have driven the Corolla on test drives with both engines, but don't own either. 

As well as all the above, which I agree with, here are some other thoughts:

At least initially, drivers often comment that during spirited acceleration, all the previous Toyota hybrids to varying degrees, have allowed the engine revs to climb quite high and the engine to be quite vocal (some have described this as 'mooing').  Some find this off-putting, at least at first.  This is quite a contrast to 'normal' driving where the engine is very, very refined.

The 1.8 engine an improvement over the older 1.8 engine that preceded it in the Auris, in this 'mooing' respect.  But the 2.0 is sufficiently brawny that, even if this hybrid characteristic is at odds with the civilised character of the car, you won't be hearing so much of the noise, because the car will just get to your desired speed much faster, at which point you back off the throttle and peaceful progress is resumed.

If you are well-used to driving a turbo diesel or turbo petrol car, then the extra urge of the 2.0 helps to make up for some of the effortless torque that you have given up when deciding not to buy another one.

Having said that, the 1.8 is unquestionably enough, and as Autocar magazine highlighted in their long term test, getting good mpg out the car can be a very addictive game to engage in, and the car may change the way you drive and your attitude to driving in the future. Perhaps to the extent that you will no longer really need the performance that the 2.0 gives, because your driving has changed!  This is all extremely subjective, and the road tests were a while back.....

• Like 5

The 1.8's performance is fine for normal driving. I've never had any difficulty keeping up with people and rarely even push the car beyond 2,000rpm which is about where the Battery starts to help out. There's some nice power even on the 1.8 if you get the Battery involved but to my mind that's wasteful. I prefer to only use the Battery at low rpms where it can do the most good.

Some people like to accelerate hard (and often brake hard) and a hybrid will at least mitigate their worst excesses. But if it's good economy you're after then as with any vehicle moderate acceleration and avoiding using the brakes is the way to go.

• Like 2

As others have said the 1.8 is perfectly adequate for all types of journey and it is more efficient than the 2.0 in overall terms ...but the 2.0 gets my vote for a few reasons. 

The main reason is that because there’s more power, there’s more of a feeling of effortlessness in the driving. The revs rarely will go above 2500 in normal driving and it settles to 1500 -2000 on the motorway. Plus the ‘rubber band’ effect is a bit more pronounced in the 1.8 too - even though it’s much improved. The 2.0 seems to have ‘fixed’ points in the Rev range rather than just revving up when you put your foot down. Indeed, it will only go above 4000 when you really floor it. So it’s quieter for more of the time. 

I really like the paddle shifters as they allow a bit more control over the drive, I mainly use them for adjusting the engine braking effect but they can be used when driving across country with limited effect but to me it makes the drive a little more involving and less one dimensional than not having them. 

Lastly the power is probably going to be appreciated when loaded up with clobber and family stuff. As for fuel efficiency mine has improved more than I thought it would now warm weather is here. The trip say 56.5 for this month and 58.4 on the tank which is mainly around town but been on the motorway a bit recently too. The 1.8 would beat this though I’m sure. 

Hope this helps. 

• Like 3

I have the 2.0, and for me it's the best choice. I agree with the fact, that the engine goes up to 4000 rpm, but only above if you push hard. Acceleration is very power full, and still very economical. For my ears, the sound of the 2.0 has a deeper tone than the 1.8. It can give the feeling, that it's more quiet. 

• Like 1

Don't forget the boot space. The 2.0 has a bit less solace when the floor is lowered I believe. I found the full lowered floor useful at Christmas 🤶 

For me, I test drove the 1.8 , but bought the 2 ltr. So not enough time to evaluate the 1.8, which I found totally acceptable. I had a powerful car before, enjoyed that, so didn't want to take a big step down in power.

There is a difference between the 2 engines. For me, I get about 20 mpg more than I did in my previous 2 ltr, and I have not lost the fun to drive element, so the 2 ltr ticks the boxes for me.

If maximum economy had been my new goal, the 1.8 would have delivered 28 or even 30 mpg better than my previous car, judging from what other owners have said. As my mileage is not that great per year, the extra power is more important to me than the few extra mpg's.

So, it is down to you to work out what is more important to you, economy or power. But which ever engine you choose, I doubt you will be disappointed.

• Like 4

I  test drove the 1.8 and ended up buying the 2 litre. The 2l definately has more power / less revy but also a thicker windscreen and better sound dampening under the bonnet making for less wind and engine noise in the cabin. But road noise from the Falkens provided is rather load on both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BugsyBobCat said:

I  test drove the 1.8 and ended up buying the 2 litre. The 2l definately has more power / less revy but also a thicker windscreen and better sound dampening under the bonnet making for less wind and engine noise in the cabin. But road noise from the Falkens provided is rather load on both.

I assume you have 17" alloys on your GR TS.  Mine is pretty much whisper quiet with the Falken tyres, have you double checked your tyre pressures?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BugsyBobCat said:

I’ve actually found that as a few thousand miles have gone on, they seemed to have gone a little quieter to my ear. Used to really bug me but maybe I’m used to it. 

it wasn’t so much the level but the lower frequency that rattled my brain! 

• Like 1

In my humble opinion the 2l hybrid is a better choice  but is not as stingy on mpg as the 1.8. More horses and 0-60 times are a considerable improvement on the 1.8.( 7.8 for the 2l and 10. something for the 1.8)  The handing on the  2L Hybrid is OK but can be considerably improved by chucking away the dreadful Falken tyres which are noisy and exhibit poor  braking in the wet. I have owned the GR Sport version since  January and prefer it to the MK7 Golf GTD  i used to own why 1. more comfy ride 2. handles better round corners 3. easier to get in and out of than the golf 4. very smooth power delivery which when compared to the Golf. Straight line handling on the VW is better as the Corolla is prone to poor handling during strong crosswinds but then it is a bigger vehicle than the Golf and presents a larger side profile. The CVS box can get slightly noisy under hard acceleration but is not really intrusive. On the whole what is not to like after you get used to the totally silent electric motor when its driving you up the road and people staring  trying to figure out why you are not pushing the car but it still has momentum. 😉

• Like 1

My alloys are 18" fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and handling stopping and wet performance is vastly superior to the Falken but then i am a Michelin fan hence a bit biased.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Louie said:

My alloys are 18" fitted with Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and handling stopping and wet performance is vastly superior to the Falken but then i am a Michelin fan hence a bit biased.

How is the road noise through the PS4's?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Louie said:

Is it worth the upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading as well but i thought i would wait till the falken ones are no longer usable. Also how are the 18" wheels in terms of comfort? I have the 17's and they are pretty comfortable, i'm interested in upgrading to 18's when i also change my tyres.  

• Like 1

HI Guys

I sold my Falkens on eBay for around £200 with a few hundred miles on them to offset the cost of the PS4's . I am not sure if changing from 17" to 18" rims is money well spent however if it was 16" you are stepping from to 18" then its a different matter altogether. Do not expect whisper quiet on any 18" rim no matter what make of  tyre all i can say is that going to the PS4's from Falken was noticeably quieter even on rough surfaces. In my opinion i dont think noise deadening on the Corolla is  Toyota's strength if you compare it to a VW. Handling with the PS4's was a massive improvement with no  skittishness or twitching which seemed to be a Falken characteristic. Dont expect faultless handling in high winds especially in exposed areas.

• Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 1:53 PM, BugsyBobCat said:

Is it a fact that the 2.0 has a thicker windscreen than the 1.8. I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere else. 

In the configurator of toyota greece in the summary and save section you get a list of all of the features that the car has and it says that the 1.8 in the style grade (the equivalent design in the uk) gets sound insulated windscreen.

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, King Crimson said:

Is it worth the upgrade? I'm thinking of upgrading as well but i thought i would wait till the falken ones are no longer usable. Also how are the 18" wheels in terms of comfort? I have the 17's and they are pretty comfortable, i'm interested in upgrading to 18's when i also change my tyres.  

My opinion is that it's not worth spending on the 18" when u have 17. I would spend on better tyres and also going wider 20mm to provide better traction/braking/handling. This is what I have always done to improve without spending on a new set of wheels. 

• Like 2

Well it will be a few more years untill i change my tyres to better ones and i will see till then how much money i will have at my displosal. I was considereing of also getting the 18's from the top trim corolla since i like the way they look that's why i asked if i will notice any difference in case i do make the change, of course i won't sacrifice tyre quality just so that i get the bigger wheels.