Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Catalytic Converter Thefts

JayG

Just a reminder that catalytic converter thefts are at all all time high right now. I just had mine stolen on Friday in broad daylight in about 2 minutes flat at around 6pm in the evening. They ripped off all the o2 sensors too which I had only just replaced last year with genuine denso ones. I'm gutted.
Local police said they are primarily targeting Honda and Toyota, especially the Prius, Auris and Jazz. Even more so if it's hybrid.

However they must be running out of Priuses as they are turning to just about anything with a Toyota Badge on it irrelevant of the age of the car.
Apparently a car auction got hit overnight recently with over 150 catalytic converters stolen.

My local garage said they will weld some steel rods along the top of the new cat, strap it with steel cable and weld in a metal sheet / cage.
I can't even source an OEM cat for my car either so I'm going to have to get a sports cat from a name brand like magnaflow as I don't trust any of the cheap compatible cats on the internet. My garage says that sports cats are a lot less desirable to thieves too as there is hardly anything in them.

My car just doesn't feel the same ever since.
We've all heard of catalytic converter thefts but I guess I didn't see any major news about it and had no idea that I was at risk with a targeted vehicle. If I had of known I would have done something preventative sooner.

Here's hoping I can save someone else the nightmare.

Stay safe out there, the scumbags are out there looking.

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2907.jpeg

• Sad 3

It seemed to die down what with lockdown but now increasing. I have an Auris Hybrid and will de-badge it soon! Thieving scum. Need more police enforcement and some bait cars in known hotspots!

Hope you get your car sorted soon and at least cost. There are lots of threads on cat theft on here.

James.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Auris James said:

It seemed to die down what with lockdown but now increasing. I have an Auris Hybrid and will de-badge it soon! Thieving scum. Need more police enforcement and some bait cars in known hotspots!

Hope you get your car sorted soon and at least cost. There are lots of threads on cat theft on here.

James.

James do you really think that de-badging the Auris Hybrid will help. These guys who are doing the despicable deed would know the cars to target blindfolded, even without the Badge.

Probably not as can look through window and see gearstick! May stop those who scout roads in their car, but who knows.

James.

You can throw a blanket on top and make it unrecognisable, they usually wants the hybrid ones, but it seems like all that are easy to get are potential targets. That is not a good news though. They can still run the number plate check but the point is that if they don’t see hybrid they may well just drive past it. 👍

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links