Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo key stick in gas cap ....Please help!!!

SAM LOVERS HER TOYOTAS

Guys...

Went to fill up today, and I couldnt get my key out of the gas cap, it was completely stuck! I know how to use the system...key in and turn anti clockwise...use my other hand to turn gas cap itself anti clockwise...done!

But this is the key stuck inside no matter how much you wriggle it! I only noticed the issue after I'd filled up so the gas cap with key stuck was in my hand.

Luckily one of the attendants offered to help, he simply poured hot kettle water, wiggled key, and out it came.

Currently I've left the gas cap in but not fully tightened.

Toyota are quoting 28.27 for just the gas cap

Or

The lock to replace on my existing gas cap at 48.13 coded to my key! I've no idea how one would get the lock off in the 1st place!

Does anybody have 

A. A solution to fix my old lock

B. An aftermarket alternative that theyve purchased with a seperate key?

I'd be most grateful with this one guys...I'm so stressed out

Does it have a flap that has some sort of locking mechanism?

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk

Give the lock a good soak with gt85 (not WD40) and let it sit for a few hours occasionally giving it a bit more lube - work the key in the lock for a few mins

your ignition key may be worn try the spare key

• Like 1

Do you know that you can take the key out before removing the cap? Just turn to unlock as normal then turn it back again and the key comes out and the cap can be removed. No key needed to lock the cap. Just turn until it clicks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update, I managed to resolve this issue guys, in that my old key was causing the issue in getting stuck inside the filler cap lock but works perfect in my ignition, however my spare key cut bladed key works perfect in the filler cap lock but gets stuck in my ignition, so now I carry two keys, which I have colour coded using a rubber housing case, red for ignition, green for gas cap, adding my green key doesn’t have a remote unit inside so I could keep this key in my glove box, problem solved!

Did you try oiling the key hole in the gas cap to see if it works? If it did then you would be spared the hassle of carrying two keys and diving in to the glove compartment to find the green key.

bit of a risk but I know of people who left their gas caps unlocked on mk1 aygos.

3 hours ago, rajivrattna said:

Did you try oiling the key hole in the gas cap to see if it works? If it did then you would be spared the hassle of carrying two keys and diving in to the glove compartment to find the green key.

Hi, I did try oiling it, no luck, hence the back up plan

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links