Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Aygo semi autmatic actuator problems

Sallyx

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I have an Aygo which I bought last year, because even though it's 2009 year the car has only travelled 9000 (proven) miles and it is like new. It was well above the average forecourt price but I didn't do my homework and now of course I'm paying for that. I lost drive in town without warning, I thought it might be the drive shaft so had it moved by AA to my local garage who said they did not want to repair it since they thought it was the Actuator (no idea what that was at the time), they introduced me to some one they use who said they could fix it and have quoted £1,000 (after I got up off the floor) I left it with them. Three weeks later it's still not fixed and more excuses. They have apparently fitted a refurbed actuator but have found it was the wrong one - how many are there in a little aygo? Now apparently they have to get someone who knows the Digital Trouble Codes (DTC) and so it goes on. So far it is currently cheaper than Toyota who quoted for a new actuator at around £1,350 plus fitting at extortionate rates.

I just want to know if the estimated cost of this is about right, or am I being ripped off?

SallyX.

• Sad 1

Welcome to Toyota Owners Club.

Moved to the Aygo club

it seems a bit steep to me but without the codes it's hard to tell

if they need someone to diag the codes i would be going elsewhere - the actuator would also need to be calibrated

• Like 1

^Thanks flash22

Now they tell me the firm refurbing the actuator has only sent back one part of the unit, how can you split apart one unit and only return half of it – another excuse! Really fed up with them but they maintain that the firm doing the job is suffering from laid-off staff on furlough; this disease is being blamed on anything it seems. But a ray of hope - the unit is supposed to come back calibrated and pigs might fly it seems!

My daughter has a MMT Aygo and as a retired mechanic I look after the car , I’m fully aware that if the MMT gearbox has a problem it’s a main dealer only fix as they have the electronics to do the shutdown and calibration procedure.

I’m my opinion you need to get the car back off the garage working on it and bit the bullet..... get it fixed by a Toyota dealership . 

• Like 1

I’m sorry to hear of your trouble with the MMT. This is a known weak point on these cars. I have (extensively) posted my experience with this box in our Aygo, so I summarise here for you:

I bought this car brand new in 2009 at the time of the original scrapage scheme.  It came with a 3 year factory warranty. I knew the car would be trouble but we bought it as that’s what my father wanted.

At the end of 3 years and (IIRC) 20K miles it suffered gear selector failure (wouldn’t go into gear). Recovered to Toyota who diagnosed it needed a new clutch and assembly - covered under warranty. I opted to renew the warranty with Toyota as I figured it would break again and I didn’t want the hassle of grappling with third party garages for repair.

In the 11 years we’ve owned it, it has needed a new clutch and actuator assembly like clockwork every 3 years. The Toyota warranty has paid out every time without quibble and I don’t think I’d want to pay £1.5K’ish every 3 years.

I’ve said it many times before: if you own an MMT, buy the Toyota warranty. The cost will pale in comparison to getting the MMT fixed as it will go wrong. We are on our 4th clutch/actuator and when I can no longer renew the warranty, that’s when I’ll sell it.

• Like 1

Thanks ihpj. Sounds like good advice about Toyota warrenty, but bought this car from a second hand car dealer and of course their gaurantee ran out two months before this happended, boo hoo!

Knowing what I know now and after watching so many of the YouTube vids on problem, (in my younger days) I could have repaired this easily in my own garage, there's even a step by step guide online how to complete the calibration manually, so anyone with an ounce of 'do it yourself mechanical skills' can do this, it seems that splitting the unit and regreasing is worth trying before spending cash on your local - not so friendly - garage.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links