Do Not Sell My Personal Information

C.V.T.oil change .

Geordie 1

When should the Prius C.V.T. oil be changed . Mine has done 118,000 miles now 

Official schedule is check oil level every 40,000, however there is no change point

Hi, 60k miles drain and refill like manual transmission, if never been changed before it’s the right time to do it, takes usually 3ltr of oil, you can buy 4 bottles x 1l each and have one spare in case you able to get more than 3l out, total capacity is 3.4ltr. Buy and use only Toyota WS genuine oil. When opening the drain plug use breaker bar and quality bit, it is very hard to break it first, tighten up to 40Nm, you can change the washers too, they are 18mm diameter  x 2mm thick aluminium washers. Measure the quantity of the old oil before refill with new one. If the car is perfectly level you should stop filling when you see the oil coming out from the refill hole. 
Good luck 

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 60k miles drain and refill like manual transmission, if never been changed before it’s the right time to do it, takes usually 3ltr of oil, you can buy 4 bottles x 1l each and have one spare in case you able to get more than 3l out, total capacity is 3.4ltr. Buy and use only Toyota WS genuine oil. When opening the drain plug use breaker bar and quality bit, it is very hard to break it first, tighten up to 40Nm, you can change the washers too, they are 18mm diameter  x 2mm thick aluminium washers. Measure the quantity of the old oil before refill with new one. If the car is perfectly level you should stop filling when you see the oil coming out from the refill hole. 
Good luck 

And make sure you can crack open the filler plug BEFORE draining. 😉

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

takes usually 3ltr of oil,

All good information, Tony.  Just on the quantity though, this is a 2008 Prius, so Gen 2, like mine. I found that I put back in a tad over 3.7 L. Go slow with the last 100-200 mL, you don't want to waste any new oil.  Also agree, use only Toyota ATF-WS.  Mine came in a 4 L tin. You need a 24 mm socket for the fill plug (recommend a 6 point socket) and a 10 mm hex-key socket for the drain plug.  I filled it from above. To do this I used some vinyl tubing to extend a standard funnel, but if you have a pump, you could pump it in from underneath. 

It is a quick and easy job, just as easy as a regular oil change.  Maybe easier, as there is no filter to change.

All the best, Stephen.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the information .I will get the transmission oil changed  p.d.q.