Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Corolla | Cruise Control and Incoming Calls

DarkSorcerer

Hi everyone,

I’m new in this forum and I would like to know if anyone has the same two issues that I have with my 2019 Corolla 1.2 Turbo, manual transmission. So:

- My cruise control does not work too well when going downwards on low inclination roads. If I set it for 70km/h, it just goes on (reaching 80 km/h or more) until I press the brakes. For me, that defeats the whole purpose of cruise control, but I’m told by Toyota representatives that cruise control, on manual transmission and in this model, only controls the accelerator and not the brakes, so... it’s a feature. Does anyone have a similar car that can provide feedback on this matter?

- the other one is software related, and it’s regarding a very basic feature on phone calls. I have all my phone contacts saved with the international prefix (for instance, in Portugal it’s +351, UK it’s +44, etc) and when someone (that I have the number stored) calls me from Portugal the system simply doesn’t understand that it is a number that I have saved, and does not show me the name of who’s calling. I assume it’s because of the number not having the prefix when calling from the same country. That drives me nuts. I had an Auris (2014) and a RAV4 (2018) that recognised anything I threw at them.. And this version doesn’t. Again, I’m told it’s not defective, it’s a feature - and I’ve tried to import the contacts again and all that stuff. Does this happen in your units as well?

Would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Cruise Control.

I have 2019 2L Excell and the cruise control exhibits same problem. Its equipped with standard cruise control and radar adaptive cruise control.

Its its not at all downhills its a problem as engine breaking works ok but when the slope increases it can't cope. It even has problems going uphill when the gradient suddenly eases. Its almost as if the software has not heard of the breaks.

BUT - if you use the radar adaptive cruise control and come behind a slow moving vehicle the breaks slow you  down to match the speed of car in front.

WORSE STILL - If you have cruise control set and alarm set to warn of going over speed limit from road sign recognition (set mine to max of +5mph over limit) then at over limit +1mph you get a 4 bong alarm which is a bit distracting as its not documented.

Took Toyota and the dealer 8 months of investigation (and lots of Dashcam footage with sound recordings) for them to say it was a standard feature. (Which i interpret  as "tough luck mate we are doing nothing about it so learn to live with it")

Watch it here on the flat! 

As for phone problems. Can't help. UK numbers with +44 when calling me in UK are ok. Dont get calls from abroad anymore after retiring and becoming UKcentric!!!!!

On 6/24/2020 at 11:15 PM, DarkSorcerer said:

when someone (that I have the number stored) calls me from Portugal the system simply doesn’t understand that it is a number that I have saved, and does not show me the name of who’s calling. I assume it’s because of the number not having the prefix when calling from the same country.

The same thing happens to me as well, when someone calls me i usually check the screen on the dashboard and it doesn't show the name of who is calling, it's really annoying. About the cruise control, for me it works just fine as i have the 1.8 hybrid that is automatic. This isn't how the cruise control should work though.... it should keep a steady speed at all times, this is the whole reason of cruise control, that is to not have to press on the gas pedal at all times so that you can relax on longer journeys. 

3 hours ago, PACorolla said:

Cruise Control.

I have 2019 2L Excell and the cruise control exhibits same problem. Its equipped with standard cruise control and radar adaptive cruise control.

Its its not at all downhills its a problem as engine breaking works ok but when the slope increases it can't cope. It even has problems going uphill when the gradient suddenly eases. Its almost as if the software has not heard of the breaks.

BUT - if you use the radar adaptive cruise control and come behind a slow moving vehicle the breaks slow you  down to match the speed of car in front.

WORSE STILL - If you have cruise control set and alarm set to warn of going over speed limit from road sign recognition (set mine to max of +5mph over limit) then at over limit +1mph you get a 4 bong alarm which is a bit distracting as its not documented.

Took Toyota and the dealer 8 months of investigation (and lots of dashcam footage with sound recordings) for them to say it was a standard feature. (Which i interpret  as "tough luck mate we are doing nothing about it so learn to live with it")

Watch it here on the flat! 

As for phone problems. Can't help. UK numbers with +44 when calling me in UK are ok. Dont get calls from abroad anymore after retiring and becoming UKcentric!!!!!

Thanks! I was wondering if it was just my own... This does not make any sense. At all. And neither of these problems will be solved.

3 hours ago, King Crimson said:

The same thing happens to me as well, when someone calls me i usually check the screen on the dashboard and it doesn't show the name of who is calling, it's really annoying. About the cruise control, for me it works just fine as i have the 1.8 hybrid that is automatic. This isn't how the cruise control should work though.... it should keep a steady speed at all times, this is the whole reason of cruise control, that is to not have to press on the gas pedal at all times so that you can relax on longer journeys. 

Thanks! Yes, they won't be solving this at all. Shame.

I have a fairly new volvo V40 (Corolla on order) company car, and a VW.

Yes, standard cruise control on a manual only maintains speed, it doesn't brake. It just isn't designed to do that, its effectively an extension of the accelerator.

I would have thought the full radar/auto gearbox would though on downhill, if exceeding the set speed.

Will have to see