Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tsport Mk1 Turbo Diesel Conversion

pio14343

Hey guys, I have recently bought sport version of yaris (1nz-fe, 1.5Vvti) and have a spare turbo laying around from peugeot 1.4 diesel. Im certain I can fit it myself, some welding to the manifold (ordered new). I am unsure yet as of what ecu people use for these cars and wat would be the best in my application? I have planned to also change timing chain just before fitting turbo also changing to the Jun Cams. I'm a bit unsure about the bolt-on cams running with turbo, have read somwhere that I would have to run the other jun cams, that need reprogramming?

I'm not looking for mad performance boost, just something that will give quite good acceleration and won't drink too much, I'd be fine running with 130 to 150hp. Not planning on changing pistons etc. Might just run it no cat and maybe lightweight flywheel with performance clutch.

I'd appreciate if someone shed some light on these for me as research wasn't enough in my case.

Don't bother with piggybacks, do it right and get a standalone.
Contact EMS performance they have plug and play looms with great priced standalone's

AEM do one but they are not cheap, only low cost standalone ecu will be a megasquirt but that will not do the vvti control, the cost effective way would be with AEM FIC 6

the turbo you have may not be suitable as most pug diesels (HDI) run with 14-16psi

tbh the electricals are going to be the difficult/expensive bit

What are your guys thoughts on the Haltech Elite 750? Seems like best priced option for me at around £250 (MightyCarMods used that on the 1 litre yars mk2)

As to the turbo, you say its around 14 - 16 psi. That comes to around 1 bar pressure. I'd be willing to make it 0.6 bar max... is that not possible to keep it spinning at lower pressure with fuel timing using software (in other words boost control)? Not willing to invest into turbo much, if it requires getting new one then I will stick with just the rest of the mods.

Haltech 750 i take that is a used price as its about £900 new (over £1k with the loom) eg. https://www.fensport.co.uk/collections/haltech

edit. the loom is £2-250 on its own

the turbos are tuned differently for diesels as they are low revving but im sure you can adjust the waste gate to suit

That is what I'm thinking, playing around with wastegate should eliminate excess pressure.. yeah didn't double check myself there with that haltech... I can see that the AEM FIC 6 it is gonna be.. as there don't seem to be any cheaper than that.I appreciate your time. If I need, will update you once I get the project going 🧐😃👍

Look into the maxxecu mini. best bang for buck standalone atm.

These seem like some good ecu's.. not too expensive but still in mind with saving so I could invest in other better parts... what are your guys thiughts on the EcuMaster Det3? It seems to be the cheapest and still has plenty features?

Also, doesn't the power steering need the stock ecu to to control it? Maxxecu Mini is another good choice 👍

3 hours ago, pio14343 said:

These seem like some good ecu's.. not too expensive but still in mind with saving so I could invest in other better parts... what are your guys thiughts on the EcuMaster Det3? It seems to be the cheapest and still has plenty features?

Also, doesn't the power steering need the stock ecu to to control it? Maxxecu Mini is another good choice 👍

The Det3 is a piggyback they work okay on older engines but not great on the Yaris. 
The P/S is manual so no need to worry about that. Spend a bit more and get the Maxxecu

14 hours ago, lani100 said:

The Det3 is a piggyback they work okay on older engines but not great on the Yaris. 
The P/S is manual so no need to worry about that. Spend a bit more and get the Maxxecu

I am a bit all over the place now with ecu's 😅

I have found stock maps for this ecu and programs to remap and to delete lambda through computer.. I will be using stock map and adjust it while turbo is on the car.. if that don't bang then I will be going with the maxxecu. I will be using kess v2, seems pretty legit so far from research.

3 hours ago, pio14343 said:

I am a bit all over the place now with ecu's 😅

I have found stock maps for this ecu and programs to remap and to delete lambda through computer.. I will be using stock map and adjust it while turbo is on the car.. if that don't bang then I will be going with the maxxecu. I will be using kess v2, seems pretty legit so far from research.

The stock ecu can't be remapped neither can Kess do it. It's been tried over and over.

Yes there are ecu dumps out there but they are useless

3 hours ago, lani100 said:

The stock ecu can't be remapped neither can Kess do it. It's been tried over and over.

Yes there are ecu dumps out there but they are useless

It seems as if kess does have support for yaris though.. it has drivers for it... I might be wrong but in my opinion worth a try.

29 minutes ago, pio14343 said:

It seems as if kess does have support for yaris though.. it has drivers for it... I might be wrong but in my opinion worth a try.

Yes but not for the Japanese built models inc. T-Sport it only works on the French builts because they use Bosch ecu's. They do work on newer ones.

The dumps are out there but it can't be flashed.

It's fairly simple to put down a base map it takes a lot of time setting everything up tho

Your probably better doing a 4efte conversion,  hardest parts trying to find a cheap GT/ Glanza for a doner 

And while your dealing with vintage "issues" why not go the 2zz route or drop a 1MZ-fe in it lol

1NZ-Fe is something different to tune

dont forget in the UK we do not get all the imports like down under, cars like the celica gt4's are going right up in value AE86 and AE92 are getting into the £5-6k (10k Dollarydoo's)

1 hour ago, Skiny said:

Your probably better doing a 4efte conversion,  hardest parts trying to find a cheap GT/ Glanza for a doner 

Glanza's and Gt's aren't cheap as above you will be dealing with old school tech issues. They aren't even that great of an engine yes they  can take slightly more boost stock when compared to a 1nz But you'll hit that limit rather quick. Only engine swap I'd consider would be a 2zz which is quite an involving swap.

I'd check out how much boost that turbo produces first as most diesel turbo's make much more boost compared to a similar sized petrol equivalent. 

2 hours ago, lani100 said:

Glanza's and Gt's aren't cheap as above you will be dealing with old school tech issues. They aren't even that great of an engine yes they  can take slightly more boost stock when compared to a 1nz But you'll hit that limit rather quick. Only engine swap I'd consider would be a 2zz which is quite an involving swap.

I'd check out how much boost that turbo produces first as most diesel turbo's make much more boost compared to a similar sized petrol equivalent. 

Great engine if you treat them right tho, my GT was running 142.2hp with a few mods then I put a fmic on so should see another 10/15hp going by similar cars/mods etc

There's a good few high HP starlets running about over here :) 

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

And while your dealing with vintage "issues" why not go the 2zz route or drop a 1MZ-fe in it lol

1NZ-Fe is something different to tune

dont forget in the UK we do not get all the imports like down under, cars like the celica gt4's are going right up in value AE86 and AE92 are getting into the £5-6k (10k Dollarydoo's)

Vintage issues tho have been dealt with by people before, its just a matter off finding the information lol 2zz swap with stage 2 cams would be an excellent swap 

Australian prices for some stuff is mad, Northern Ireland here is going the same way, down south your talking 12k plus for a decent st185 cs/rc 

17 hours ago, Skiny said:

Great engine if you treat them right tho, my GT was running 142.2hp with a few mods then I put a fmic on so should see another 10/15hp going by similar cars/mods etc

There's a good few high HP starlets running about over here 🙂

Vintage issues tho have been dealt with by people before, its just a matter off finding the information lol 2zz swap with stage 2 cams would be an excellent swap 

Australian prices for some stuff is mad, Northern Ireland here is going the same way, down south your talking 12k plus for a decent st185 cs/rc 

Sorting the "old school" issues will cost more money. It's a pointless swap unless it's built or has uprated goodies.

I'm running a original " Toyota TRD turbo" setup which puts out 150hp in stock form. Mine is currently making 160-165 roughly. It's the turbo setup from the Vitz Rs / Yaris T sport turbo.
Which is designed by Toyota to be a bolt on setup for the stock 1NZ engine.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:22 PM, Skiny said:

I like the idea although I'm not looking for big jobs.. have actually seen  boost controller usee on stock ecu and a rad from d4d yaris.. re built turbo and makes about 180hp.. crazy.. wouldn't think stock ecu can live up to it.. boost controller seems by far the last thing I'm looking for now.

Video:

5 hours ago, pio14343 said:

I like the idea although I'm not looking for big jobs.. have actually seen  boost controller usee on stock ecu and a rad from d4d yaris.. re built turbo and makes about 180hp.. crazy.. wouldn't think stock ecu can live up to it.. boost controller seems by far the last thing I'm looking for now.

Video:

This thing is a factory TS turbo, same setup as I'm running, which has a turbo specific ecu from factory.
Cranking the boost up on this setup is possible as the ecu won't know as they don't have a map sensor / boost cut but doing so is really pushing the rods and it's a matter of time before the rods will say goodbye. 

Turboing a car is quite a big job you can't cut corners honestly 

3 hours ago, lani100 said:

This thing is a factory TS turbo, same setup as I'm running, which has a turbo specific ecu from factory.
Cranking the boost up on this setup is possible as the ecu won't know as they don't have a map sensor / boost cut but doing so is really pushing the rods and it's a matter of time before the rods will say goodbye. 

Turboing a car is quite a big job you can't cut corners honestly 

Oh no 😒 so you're telling me that the ph2 ecu supports extra lil boost and the ph1's don't?

If so how so you know the ph1 would not support this option? Surely there is some way to bypass that trigger? Only asking as I already ordered electronic g-force boost controller.. as it really seemed to be the option for me, running minimum boost.

1 hour ago, pio14343 said:

Oh no 😒 so you're telling me that the ph2 ecu supports extra lil boost and the ph1's don't?

If so how so you know the ph1 would not support this option? Surely there is some way to bypass that trigger? Only asking as I already ordered electronic g-force boost controller.. as it really seemed to be the option for me, running minimum boost.

No, the above car is a factory turbo car which run a different ecu specifically setup for the turbo.

Turbo on a stock ecu is a big no!
Also a boost controller will not allow you to run less boost ... 

1 hour ago, lani100 said:

No, the above car is a factory turbo car which run a different ecu specifically setup for the turbo.

Turbo on a stock ecu is a big no!
Also a boost controller will not allow you to run less boost ... 

Now that bugs me.. he mentioned that he has turbo'ed his yaris from n/a to turbo on stock ecu. He did mention that he has an  "original turbo yaris ts ecu", considering his english is not on point, but thought he just meant the standard tsport ecu?
I mean't boost controller to get rid of spikes and smooth delivery, but as for pressure I'd change the wastegate spring for less bar.. wanting 0.5 bar as for stock that'd be a lot to handle.