Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reverse cam for TAS500 in Hybrid from 2014

Ocap112

10 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Some pinouts are incorrect in that pdf

Wrong how? 

Pins don't align in the adapter and the cars connector. My guess is I should try switching 31-1 to 31-2. 

But you are the expert. 😀 

no dont do that - the rear camera on the touch2 is wired via the 16 pin plug there are 4-5 different wiring schemes

I have just got the wiring info and need to look at it

It makes sense now the camera is on the 24 pin plug

28 pin (touch2)

1.IG

4. Mic Power

5. Mic +

6. Mic Detect

9. Can High

10. Can Low

15. PKB (handbrake)

17. VSC (Vehicle speed)

18. Shield Gnd

19. Mic -

21, 22 and 23 steering wheel controls

24 Pin

3. Local bus High (17 on)

4. Local bus Low (17 on)

11. Cam + 5.5 - 7.0v

12. Cam image

23. Cam Ground

24. GND

Reverse is generated over Can from the ecu

it should be plug and play with that lead

So you are suggesting I match that with the pdf you posted earlier and rewire? 

Or are you saying it is not possible/requires other modifications (it's always possible, if it's worth it is another question)

no rewire required it should be plug and play with the patch lead you have

the pdf is wrong

the only thing i can think of is the TAS500 isnt programmed for your car, do you know your full model code eg. NHP130L-CHXNBW

Below I added a few commenta of how it looks in the car, and the adaptor. I wrote the color of the odd cable since it might be switched. Since the five buttons on the left side of the steering wheel are working I guess 21-23 are working fine. That's probably not the issue. Mic shouldn't make any difference, siri works, but I guess it could be because of the internal mic on the tas500? 

Conclusion is that my car is missing pin 3&4 on the 24pin connector. Adaptor is mission Can hight and low, and IG. I guess IG means ignition? Tas500 behaves normally when turning on the ignition. 

With the adapter brigtness is adjusted on the tas500 when turning on the lights. Without it's not. 

28 pin (touch2)

1.IG (nothing in the adaptor)

2. (pin in the adaptor, red)

4. Mic Power (red)

5. Mic +

6. Mic Detect

9. Can High (nothing in the adaptor)

10. Can Low (nothing in the adaptor)

15. PKB (handbrake)

17. VSC (Vehicle speed)

18. Shield Gnd

19. Mic -

21, 22 and 23 (red) steering wheel controls

24 Pin

3. Local bus High (17 on)  (nothing in my cars connector)

4. Local bus Low (17 on) (nothing in my cars connector)

11. Cam + 5.5 - 7.0v

12. Cam image

23. Cam Ground

24. GND 

Local bus, could this be what's the problem?

And my car is missing this since its pre17? 

Everything but camera and AC seems to be plug and play.

21 minutes ago, flash22 said:

no rewire required it should be plug and play with the patch lead you have

the pdf is wrong

the only thing i can think of is the TAS500 isnt programmed for your car, do you know your full model code eg. NHP130L-CHXNBW

That's it the code 

NHP130L-CHXNBW

Basically what the adapter does is disconnect Can high and low, and IG (on 1, but has a wire in 2, which seems to be the reverse signal, a wire the car is missing. Might be a crazy idea, but how about running a wire from the reverse light on 31-2? )

It shouldn't need the reverse signal as none is shown on the touch2 wiring (downloaded direct from toyota tech)

do you have better pics of that lead

i take you have installed it and driven the car ?

16 minutes ago, flash22 said:

It shouldn't need the reverse signal as none is shown on the touch2 wiring (downloaded direct from toyota tech)

do you have better pics of that lead

i take you have installed it and driven the car ?

Attached is a picture of one of the ends of the adaptor (I assume this ish what you are referring to as the lead?)

I've driven the car without the adaptor for more than a week without a problem (no AC or reverse camera, don't think adjusting volume to speed worked either). 

Connected the adaptor and put reverse gear on. No luck. 

Didn't actually reverse but can attempt right now. 

The adaptor lacks can high and can low. 

62232AB8-0ECE-4D26-A0B1-0B5CD7C87FC0.jpeg

Edit: I measured the connectors in the adaptor just in case, they go straight thru, so I guess all the adaptor does is remove can, ig, and run an unused cable in 2. As I mentioned light in the tas500 display is adjusted when I turn on headlights without the adapter, so my conclusion is that cam is somehow working. 

Edited by Ocap112
Added info.

Does pin 2 go to the same pin on the other end ?

2 minutes ago, flash22 said:

Does pin 2 go to the same pin on the other end ?

Yes. They all run straight thru. Meassured it. 

What does IG means in this context? 

Also measured 31-1 (with gnd on 32-7).

0,02v with ignition off 

13,8 with ignition on. 

Tas500 turns on with ignition without this pin. 

Edit 1: Reverse signal is 12v? 

If I jump 31-1 and 31-2 in the adapter or without it,  the reverts should be activated at all times? Just to figure out if it's working otherwise.

Edit 2: so I tried what I mention in edit 1: I can see reverse camera image on screen. What should I do next? 

Edit 3: 

Adding a picture of reverse cam active with yellow jumper cable  circled. 

81281DE7-E027-43B3-B61B-BDA195054D82.jpeg

Edited by Ocap112
Updated info so I don't post 4 more posts in a row.

Seems like the easiest solution is to simply modify the 28 pin connector by adding a reverse cam pin (I can live without the climate and hybrid Battery charge information).

Could you help me with the easiest way to get 12v when activating reverse close to the tas500? 

Do you know the specs of the pin needed to modify this particular 28pin connector? 

IG - Ignition (switched live)

On the 24 pin plug see if you have 12V when in reverse (it may only be a quick 12v pulse) on pin 12

Also check and see if the hidden menu is the same as the touch2

Connector terminals are Sumitomo NH series 064 (0.25) the 28 pin housing is custom to Toyota the 24 is a standard item

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

I am interested in this conversation and I would like to replace my touch2 aswell.

My car model is a yaris hybrid NHP130L-CHXNBW from 2017.  If I understand correctly the conversation above, even with the adapter connector, there is a high risk that the rear camera doesn't work, rigth? (I can leave without air conditioning info and hybrid energy flows)

When you ordered the TAS500 did you have to order the radio panel (55405-0D620-C0) aswell ? from the BoM it seems that the Touch2 has the panel integrated while the TAS500 not.

Thank you in advance,

Luca

The OP hasn't come back with a follow up yet, the rear camera works its just a matter of working out the reverse signal (from what i can tell it gets a signal from the rear cam)

There are 2 versions of the touch2 the later one has the silver/chrome buttons, the facia is part of radio, Earlier Touch2 units use separate parts there may be an update to add the AA and AC functions but I'm not holding my breath

I now have the pinouts for the Touch and Touch2 the ones i posted before are incorrect

I haven't seen many TAS500 radios for sale, I have seen 1-2 for over £1000 what is more money than a higher end aftermarket unit

My unit has the silver buttons, I think I need the additional radio panel around it in my case.

I have found one tas500 at a decent price, that's why I wanted to give it a try. Plus, I don't know any other aftermarket unit, is there one you would suggest?

I will anyway keep following this post, my TAS500 should arrive in 3/4 weeks. 

• 1 month later...

Hi gents,

Finally I got my unit. I tried and I have the same issue. It doesn't show the reverse camera.

Any findings on this topic?

Thanks,

Luca

On 7/6/2020 at 9:43 PM, Ocap112 said:

Also measured 31-1 (with gnd on 32-7).

0,02v with ignition off 

13,8 with ignition on. 

Tas500 turns on with ignition without this pin. 

Edit 1: Reverse signal is 12v? 

If I jump 31-1 and 31-2 in the adapter or without it,  the reverts should be activated at all times? Just to figure out if it's working otherwise.

Edit 2: so I tried what I mention in edit 1: I can see reverse camera image on screen. What should I do next? 

39 minutes ago, luca.marchini6 said:

Hi gents,

Finally I got my unit. I tried and I have the same issue. It doesn't show the reverse camera.

Any findings on this topic?

Thanks,

Luca

It looks like pin 2 on the 28 pin connector still acts as a reverse 12V input - 2 ways you can get a 12v reverse signal, from the can bus with an adapter or from the reverse switch/wiring depending on if its auto or manual

It's a Hybrid, so automatic. What would you suggest?

Thank you for your reply.

i would tap the reverse A. its cheaper B. its a bit less hassle

• 1 month later...

Hi Flash22,

sorry for the late reply. What I would like to try then is the following:

- Make use of the extension cable to cut one extremity of the wire going into the pin 2 (in the 28p connector) 

- Clamp the here above extremity with the wire going into position 12 in the 24p connector (making use of this clamp: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Abzweigverbinder-f%C3%BCr-Kabel-Stromdiebe-Auto-Litze-Kabelabzweiger-Klemmverbinder/293235190932?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=592097308541&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649)

Could you confirm if the wires in the connectors are 0,25 - 1,5 mm² ?

Thank you!

Luca

• Like 1