Do Not Sell My Personal Information

synchromesh gone - next move

mpg_junkie

Hi guys, I have a 2012 1.4 D4D 6 speed Yaris and the synchromesh has gone on the 2nd gear, 1st gear is also playing up (have to double clutch at stationary to get into 1st). 

2 questions, anyone else had synchromesh issues on a 1.4 D4D, and what direction should I take to fix it, replacement box or a strip and rebuild? 

Opinions welcomed

Cheers, 

Mpg_Junkie 

I'd bleed and change your clutch fluid first and check your slave cylinder, the wife's car was sometimes difficult to engage in first gear till we had a fluid change.

silly question, the floor mat isn't up behind the pedal is it ?

I will change the fluid as a first port of call. I checked the mat and carpet, there appears to be no impediments to full pedal travel thankfully. 

Anyone tried gearbox oil additives with success? 

Cheers, 

MPG 

Cheapest and easiest is to bleed clutch as above.

I am lazy : eliminate the easy fixes.. leave the difficult/expensive ones to last...

Well if there is glitter in the gearbox oil, you know your in trouble, if its clean you just changed the oil/fluid

I was having some issues with my transmission, was grinding and making weird noises like if you put it into 3rd you could hear a bashing noise as you let the clutch out. The car had been with our lass's sister for the year and when I got it back It had had no maintenance at all except for a new drive shaft <--- that bits important.. Anyway I decided to do a gearbox oil change Today cos 2nd was a bit notchy.. To my disbelief, when I drained the gearbox, there was only 500ml of fluid in there, the thing takes near 2litres and it had been like that for the best part of a year!... That can't have done the gearbox anygood.. still quite notchy in second but the rest of the gears are buttery. I can't see any leaks, so they must have not topped the tranny oil up when they replaced the drive shaft.