Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Estima Hybrid Auto G 4WD not driving rear motor

Hutch62

While driving changed gear from D to S and back to D, afterwards the on board display indicated the rear electric motor only drives the rear wheels for a brief moment when the car moves from a stationary position. The system indicates the rear motor is still charging the drive Battery when decelerating, but does not activate the rear motor at any point while driving.
Both the front and rear motors were being switched on frequently while driving before I decided to use the S gear. This model is permanent 4WD (there is no 4WD switch).
Everything was fine until I decided to use the S gear.
Are there any Toyota mechanics out there who can shed light on this?
We have only had the car 3 months so not a lot of use during lock down - so no experience with the vehicle and I can not find any technical advice online.
Is this a serious fault, a fuse or a relay, or something else?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Moved to the Estima forum.

Don’t worry about 4wd if no error message on the screen. Our cars isn’t 4wd full time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Ruslan appreciate the response.

Was convinced by dealer it was permanent 4WD realised its on when wheels slip - was concerned there was serious issue with ECU or drive mechanism

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any idea what can cause a sudden stop in drive. Engine still running and increased revs when in gear with no pull. Any ideas much appreciated 

Cheers

The rear is an electric motor iirc, if you don't have any drive you may have snapped a driveshaft or busted a CV joint, get the car in the air and have a look

will it pull away on electric in EV mode

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links