Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2ZZ Crankshaft difference

Dread2zz

Has anyone on here rebuilt their engine (Corolla) T Sport, but replace the crank with a gen 7 Celica 2zz crankshaft? Did it work? I'd really like to know.

Because I did, and I have no compression in any of the cylinders, which leads me to the knowledge of the crankshafts being slightly different. 

Before you ask, I used the UK spec workshop manual.

One thing I also noticed was it stated in the manual the timing chain should have 3 yellow marks, the Corolla one had two yellow and one orange.

So, are the cranks different?

did you get the block and crank machined ? is the crank from the same type of 2zz

I take it you turned it over by hand first ?

what pistons and rods, any overbore ? new rings ? new rods?

Just looked it up the cranks are the same, but the 7th gen also come with the 1ZZ that has a longer stroke 79 mm × 91.5 mm vs the 2ZZ 82 mm × 85 mm

Any markings on the crank

59077391_1-2zztimingmark.thumb.jpg.adc8d7eeb65c8252d608cdfdafbfecf6.jpg201010475_1-2zztimingmarklow.thumb.jpg.f57129a6364892333ac5745f92fe86c3.jpg

Yes,  flash22.....i had the crankshaft machined, it was from another engine i bought. It was a 2ZZ. the chain on the camshaft timing marks is nine links away from each other in the Corolla 2ZZ factory manual. Hmmmmmmmm, this is bugging me out, especially this is the 4th time ill be taking the engine out 

Is it the correct chain ?

There seems 2 different timing chains for these engines

also the timing marks only align every 9-20 revolutions with 9 links

borrowed from the lotus forums

1-jpg.1175106

• Like 1

Yeah, thats the one. those are the same timing marks I used.....oh, two timing chains for one engine hahaha, that would explain a lot. Its definitely a timing issue!!!

Flash22 thank you so much for your help.👌👍

i have built/rebuilt a few engines over the years tbh there is so much info about these days you have to wade through it all - information overload

the usa spec engine is different uk and jap spec have same chain (13506-88600) - and rear sprocket (13506-22020)

• Like 1