Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Arm rest power supply + fuse box take off for dash cam

scar

On a 2020 Excel is there any power supply in the arm rest ? If yes what type.

My Honda CR-V has a cigarette lighter socket, HDMi socket and a couple of usb sockets. Plus more power sockets in front of the gear lever. 

I don't get my car for 10 days and can only look at the brochure. All I see in front of the gear selector is a USB and a cigarette light socket. I don't know if the USB is for the media system or a power supply. On my Honda the USB sockets are really for the media system.

Reason for asking is that I power my dash cam from the cigarette lighter socket in the arm rest. Would be nice to do the same on the RAV. 

How have others permanently powered there dash cams.

Thanks

Why not look into hardwiring the Dashcam. better than having cables hanging.

Hard wiring is the way forward, no hanging cables getting in the way, looks so much neater 

Yes hard wiring is the best solution. But I don't pick the car up till next week. So I cannot check things out, such as is there a suitable fuse take off point.

I have searched all media forum that I can. It seems that there is 2 usb sockets in the arm rest. Perhaps rated at 2.1 amps. As for where the professionals would take their power supply from I don't know. But it wouldn't be the arm rest. My guess is a piggy back fuse ( but which fuse ? and then the cover may not fit ) Watched videos but each one has used a different power source. 

As for getting the Garage to fit a cam before its delivered, well I have 2 good dash cams. My wife like the reassurance of seeing a live screen showing its on. I saved my self some ear ache trying to explain just because the screen image is live it doesn't mean the image is being recorded onto the SD card. 

I did like the next base 380GW on sale at the garage. More compact than mine. £250 fitted. I thought that was just a OK price, nothing exceptional seeing I am getting a new car from them.

Thanks

I had the 380GW fitted before delivery. Looks nice and neat. Not the cheapest, as you say, but that’s fine.  There’s no screen, which was part of the attraction for me but your wife can view what’s happening on her phone through the Nextbase app if she really needs assurance of some sort.

Just a update. Took delivery today, as a temp measure took my power supply from the usb in the arm rest. I need a camera that profiles the screen shape. It will be neater than my present set up.

Very pleased with the fuel consumption.

I can recommend Nextbase dash cam hardwire kit, comes with two piggyback fuses, but make sure you choose correct usb connection for your camera. The only thing that you cannot put back the fuse box cover in the footwell, but it is well hidden, so not a problem. I use AUKEY DR02 in front, it is barely noticeable and has good video quality (had it from the old car and no GPS in mine) at the back connected cylinder ddpai and routed the power cable in the boot. Both work well.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links