Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auto hand break Avensis 1.6d 2015

Christian99

Hello, I had all disc and pads changed on my Avensis today and now I have yellow warning lights on dashboard because the automatic handbrake has stopped working,I have to pull and press the leaver manually.The garage said that their computer wasn’t talking to the car properly and they will have to look into it.Can anyone please give me some advice on how it can be fixed?

Moved to the Avensis club.

There may be a couple of possibilities. The first is the rear pistons were not set with the slots horizontal, so protrusions on the rear of the pads sit within the cutouts. The mechanic doing the brakes would wind back the piston as far back, then force the inner brake pad into place. Then during operation the piston would be press at one protrusion of the inner brake pad causing either, the brake pad to disc at an angle, which in turn causes uneven wear, or the piston to be skewed to one side, so there is less movement. Get the garage to check the rear brakes have been assembled properly and everything is aligned and secure. I have the earlier EPB so only auto release, but was force to change the rear pads after only 3 years because of incorrectly installed pads, caused the inner pads to wear faster than the outer pads! 

The second cause may your cars EGR! Diesels have faults that link one system to another, that can disable what may seem unrelated function. You need good diagnostics to find out this.    

On 6/30/2020 at 10:00 AM, Konrad C said:

There may be a couple of possibilities. The first is the rear pistons were not set with the slots horizontal, so protrusions on the rear of the pads sit within the cutouts. The mechanic doing the brakes would wind back the piston as far back, then force the inner brake pad into place. Then during operation the piston would be press at one protrusion of the inner brake pad causing either, the brake pad to disc at an angle, which in turn causes uneven wear, or the piston to be skewed to one side, so there is less movement. Get the garage to check the rear brakes have been assembled properly and everything is aligned and secure. I have the earlier EPB so only auto release, but was force to change the rear pads after only 3 years because of incorrectly installed pads, caused the inner pads to wear faster than the outer pads! 

The second cause may your cars EGR! Diesels have faults that link one system to another, that can disable what may seem unrelated function. You need good diagnostics to find out this.    

Hi,thank you for reply I’m having 2 error codes which are C1336 and C1346.

5 hours ago, Christian99 said:

Hi,thank you for reply I’m having 2 error codes which are C1336 and C1346.

C1336 and C1346 = zero point calibration of clutch and g-force sensor.
I had those same codes after using the wrong diagnostic (Launch Creader 😎 device to 'reset' the EPB! I fixed it myself using an older version of Techstream. I had tried Delphi but it was partially successful. 
Here is someone who made the same mistake I made -  Read the other fixes which I tried, but never worked for me.