Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UK scrappage scheme - 'no plans'

FROSTYBALLS

The government has ruled out offering a scrappage scheme to boost new car sales in the UK.  

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/hopes-new-car-sales-incentives-quashed-government-says-no-plans-scrappage-scheme/196550

• Like 1

Is buying a brand new car green though? It may pollute less but the pollution in manufacturing and shipping a new car is never taken into account in its official pollution figures.

I bought a 5 year old Toyota Hybrid, and scrapped a diesel Lexus IS220D.

My 23 year old Volvo 940 still drives great and has paid its pollution over and over again as lived for 23 years so far and not been scrapped at 10-12 years old. 

I think keep your cars driving for as long as possible.

James.

• Like 3

Despite whether buying a new car is green or not, there will be people who will continue buy new. Without new car buyers, the used car market will shrink, and demand/prices for used cars will increase.

Back in 2009/2010 when the first government scrappage operated, a lot of owners of three year old cars who would normally have changed, didn't (due to waiting lists for new cars, etc), causing an increase in both demand and prices for these cars on the used market.

Personally I'm glad to hear that there will be no government scrappage scheme this time. The last one led to a lot of otherwise perfectly good cars being scrapped for no other reason than a government handout. It started off being about reducing pollution, but increasingly became just a subsidy to the motor industry. The country is now in even more debt than it was last time and really cannot afford to throw money around. Honda are already leaving the UK and Nissan keep threatening to leave so, to put it bluntly, I think sod 'em!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, yossarian247 said:

Honda are already leaving the UK and Nissan keep threatening to leave so, to put it bluntly, I think sod 'em!

Toyota may also leave the UK if whatever happens with Brexit means production difficulties.

37 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Toyota may also leave the UK if whatever happens with Brexit means production difficulties.

Certainly, but I doubt a government scrappage scheme would sway their decision one way or the other.

Buying a new cars so often it’s driven by governments purely for financial reasons and obviously it’s not environmentally correct but just to keep the economy going. 

It's interesting what kind of scrappage schemes people can get. UK sure wants to increase car sales. I see that the government did say ‘no plans’ for a scrappage scheme.

It would be nice, although, to switch from older, more polluting cars to newer and cleaner ones. Good luck, UK, with creating less pollution.

https://www.igorbnews.com/2020/06/uk-coronavirus-thousands-come-to.html

At present times after pandemic most countries around the world are going against private cars and their use in city centres and in congested areas of a big towns. Very likely UK to follow this trend and they may well try to encourage people to buy and use less private cars, people can switch to public transportation with wearing a ppe or use of bicycles, e bikes, e scooters and micro mobility vehicles that Toyota had showed in recent car shows in Japan. The tendency is to reduce traffic jams, unnecessarily commute and pollution and it’s smart move. However change of law and a new infrastructure will need for that, U.K. roads are well aged and needs complete overall to match the new era of transportation that coming. 👍 Skoda on the other side offers a suv that has a kick scooter built in to the boot , so when using to commute on entry an city centre you can park your car and use the scooter instead. More on this story here: 

and here

I’ve already see some drivers doing that with an e scooters, unfortunately not legal yet on uk roads. 

Manufacturers will continue with their own scrappage schemes.

For example the current Toyota scheme in the UK provides between £1,500 and £4,000 off a new car depending on model and spec, and targets cars/commercial vehicles over 7 years old which have been owned by the selling owner for a least six months..