Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tips on buying an 2006 ish avensis

vanadeo

Hello.

Next year I am wanting an estate car, I was initially considering a Skoda octavia but after my yaris ran for nearly a year with next to no gearbox oil (only found out the other day when I changed the oil) I think I am swayed more towards an Avensis, another reason as well is because I know they are timing chain driven. That would be a big saving as when ever I get a new/old car I always make a point of changing the timing belt.

I'll be looking for an 06 08 plate, anything I should be looking out for, any tips (engine size etc.)?. I want a diesel again as well, I was put off by diesels after my Mondeo mk3 had failing DMF and I presume bad injectors but surprised to see that thing is still on the road to this day with 220000+ on the clock.

The Petrol 1.8 VVTI are good, good on fuel 35/40MPG locally, no Dual mass flywheel to replace, no DPF problem, no turbo problem, i had no previosuly which i owned from 200K to 270K, no problems.

• Like 2

I have an 08 1.8 TR Auto Avensis and previously an 04 Avensis 1.8. They are not exciting cars but the performance is good enough they are very comfortable and safe cars for motorway and commuting use. I get 38.7 mpg overall with 50/50 motorway and town driving. The petrol auto Avensis is the most reliable of all the 25 second hand cars I have owned over many, many  years.

The T25 Avensis is a solid car. One of its few weak spots is corrosion of the brake pipes at the rear of the car where they loop back to connect to the rear brake hoses.  If a T25 hasn't already had new pipes then it soon will do. A cheap DIY job but probably £150+ at a garage. Any garage can do the job.

The rear suspension is somewhat complex - so carefully check the various joints and bushes.

Are you sure you need a Diesel?  Diesels in general are less reliable than petrol (more complex and more components) and generally more expensive to repair. The post-2006 1.8 petrols are pretty much bulletproof.

I've got a 2008 T180 Avensis, it goes good enough, never misses a beat and so far has been very reliable. 

I repaired the brake pipes at the rear but they were 11 years old so not the end of the world. 

Thanks for that folks!.. So rear brake lines and rear suspension.. 35-40mpg aint too bad at all. Something to have a think about. I only thought diesel would be a good choice cos I'll be hauling a load of gear around camping doing road trips on mi holidays. I have seen loads of diesels for sale, not so many petrols.. Summet to be vigilant about.. then again it's same for mondeos as well I'd definitely have another TDCI but the Avensis looks roomier. Feel like I'm asking for trouble though sometimes with diesels especially most I have seen have got well over 150k on the clock and thats usually when things start to go wrong, injectors and so on... At least there is no rush with this.

Mine has only 72,000 on it and it's 12 years old.  They are not all high mileage.

Diesels are great until they go wrong. The newest T25 diesel will be 12 years old and very few will be under 100k miles. Any significant fault with the engine will probably uneconomical to repair at a garage.  If you can DIY then that's different.

The 2006-2008 1ZZFE petrol 1.8 will do huge mileage if serviced regularly and its a simple chain cam motor.  Its not particularly powerful though.

If you really want to buy an old Diesel then the VAG group PDI engines as used by VW Skoda etc are a bit gruff but very durable. They do need a new cambelt and WP every 4-5 years and the turbos on the 2.0 16v 140bhp versions are a bit weak. The 1.9 goes on forever.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links