Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hybrid CVT and motor ignition.

ITemplate

Hi,

We're close to get the new Corolla hybrid. Today I just wanted to try the 2.0 for completeness. The car I tried at the dealer had run 4000 miles. One thing I didn't expect, was that it was quite noticeable when the motor kicked in. A definite feel of ignition in the pedal. I did not notice that when test driving the 1.8.

So question is, was this a "bad" 2.0? Or is there a general difference here when comparing 1.8 vs 2.0? Or perhaps it's a lottery where some cars has this, while others dont (but probably all within nominal specs I suppose). 

Anyone else noticed this?

Thanks.

--
Werner  

It's hard to tell when my engine kicks in and out it is that seamless and smooth.  The only way I can really tell (other than some engine noise) is when I see the rev counter needle move.  I've test driven both 1.8 and 2.0 and the smooth transition when the engine fired up was the same for both.

• Like 3

When the Battery charge is low and i am doing speeds of 10 - 30 km/h i can definetly hear my engine (99% of time i have my windows up and use the ac), or when i switch my car on and again the Battery is low and the engine has to turn on i definetly can hear it and feel the engine kick in. In higher speeds however the transition is totally seamless and you can't really tell that it went from Battery to engine or from engine to battery. 

• Like 1

Ok thanks for your replies 👍

Hi Werner. I've had my new Corolla 1.8 for a week now. To add to what others have said, my limited experience with a week's use of the car shows that the change from engine power to Battery and vice versa is imperceptible. I don't hear anything nor feel anything in the pedals. Generally, driving in normal mode, I don't notice any change unless I look at the rev counter. If I accelerate swiftly, or drive in sport mode, then I'll hear the engine note.

One thing I have been paying attention to is driving in and out of car parks. That's typically on electric power only so pedestrians don't hear any noise. Need to keep your eyes peeled!

• Like 2

Hi,

this explained by the OP usually happens when ice starts under load., in hard acceleration or when main Battery is low on charge, there might be knock (thumb) heard too from the damper clutch, it’s a normal occurrence but in general transition is seamless., I can even hear when mg1 spins to turn the ice crankshaft. 

Like others, the smoothless of when the engine kicks in is remarkable! Only really hear the engine at low speeds.

One think I do notice when travelling at a steady 50 mpg, is that I can tell when the hybrid system instructs the ICE to charge the Battery, without looking at the indicator. I can feel a resistance as the ICE is used to generate, and a release when the ICE returns to powering the drive wheels only. I often look at the hybrid indicator when I feel this, and a second later, the arrows start circulating towards the Battery . Strange feeling, when you have not driven a Hybrid before, but you get used to it.

• Like 2

Can you guys change the look of the instrument panel from RPM to hybrid system monitor, much better and more useful info, I have see it on other Corolla sold outside uk. If your have that you always know what is going on under the bonnet plus engine rpm are not much Of a help since there are no gear changes , even those pedal shifters it’s all faking it, not a real deal. 

No, the RPM gauge is a physical instrument, as is the engine temp and fuel gauge on the opposite side. Only the central section is an LCD screen. you can change the central screen to show Hybrid monitor. I still refer to the RPM gauge, as it shows if the engine is running or not, and it is interesting to see the engine speed when accelerating etc. Quite fascinating to see that you can travel at 70 mpg with the engine ticking over below 2K, or even on EV only. And even though the paddles are not operating a physical gear box, you still can see the revs rise if you need extra torque to pass.

Lol that’s a big minus for the model, especially for drivers coming from previous or different Toyota hybrids. Thanks for the info. 👍

Tony, you can see the Hybrid system monitor on the main screen, if you want. Or just a mini version of it if you want the map display.

You get the small hybrid indicator on the centre display on the instrument panel. Is that what you meant?

But, no, you have to have the RPM gauge, the whole of the instrument panel is not LCD, just the central part. I've seen Mercedes have no physical instruments any more, everything is LCD, but not a Corolla, yet. Probably next years update!

Edit. Another topic about the Corolla display suggests that the GR Sport may have full LCD. All the specs change, it is hard to keep up!