Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Avensis 2.2 d4d coolant pipe diagrams?

Vaughanth

Hello, new to the forum so thanks for reading this. 

I have a 2005 avensis 2.2 d4d t-spirit estate which I love and can say hand on heart is a wonderful car. 

I've owned it now for 4 years and this is the first problem I've had with it after 50k hard/motorway miles ( car on 150k). 

The car has sprung a leak, but trying to find the part I need is proving elusive. 

The leak eminates from under the diesel pump to the heater. I have tried to cut back the pipe and stop the leak which did improve it slightly but foolishly I swapped out the spring clip for a jubilee and I think I've overtightened it as its deformed the metal pipe it goes into. 

Hoping this would just be a bolt on part I could replace, sadly the metal pipe seems to come directly from the head itself!!! I can see two threaded holes, one above and one below it but to my knowledge its pressed into the head? 

I can think of a few hillbilly repairs I can do but would much rather swap out the part I've damaged complete but I'm trying to avoid removing cylinder heads and the like. I found a drawing on this forum showing it as "item 4, to heater " which makes sense as when the pipe is off, coolant pumps out of it. Sorry I know a picture paints a thousand words and all that but I'm in work 150 miles away!!! 

I love this car and really want to get back into it ASAP as its perfect for motorway mile munching with the cruise and punchy engine. For full disclosure the engine was swapped out many years ago as the head failed on it by the previous owner and as stated this is my first ever real problem with it. 

Thanks for reading this and any help you can offer would be great. Normally I'd pop into the dealer but with the covid situation I'm not sure that's feasible. 

Wow thankyou so much that's fantastic!!!! 

So very kind of you to reply so swiftly. 

I'll let you know how I get on. 

Cheers again, 

Vaughan. 

• 11 months later...

My oh my has it been that long since I posted? Dear me. 

OK so last month I finally got round to purchasing a coolant pressure tester, fantastic bit of kit, found 2 problems already with it on 2 different cars, highly recommended. 

On my avensis I was convinced it was failing at the rhs of the engine (viewed from the bonnet end) however after pressurising to 15psi all was fine, no leaks anywhere? I checked online and the max pressure allowed for the test was 28psi. At about 18psi, I heard a loud hissing noise and found a coolant leak. Long story short, it was a fitting under the inlet manifold on the lhs of the engine. 

Access is dreadful (odd for Toyota) but after much perseverance I managed to get a camera in there and film it. After about 10 psi a loud hissing could be heard and you can visibly see where its failed. I prised the pipe clip to the left slightly and was presented with a sharp edged piece of metal and water leaking. 

The part in question is labelled in the second one of the above diagrams, labelling for it is just under the parts list on the left. It has a number next to it and a reference:

Number: PNC 11101

Refer to fig 11-04 (in purple writing), however the same reference is used on the other side of the manifold. 

The part I want is at the end of the run by parts 16281A and 16281. 

My question is, does this part screw into the head or is it just pressed in? 

I could try Toyota and see if they stock it but I'd like to have a bit of a clue before I arrive!!! 

Thanks in advance, 

Vaughan. 

Screenshot_20210603-112311_Chrome.jpg

20210603_102014.jpg

Looks like I may have answered my own question!! 

So looking at the photo it must screw into the head as its not part of the casting (I can half see on one eBay photograph that it's been removed from a head but still hard to make it out if it's a thread behind it) so fingers crossed I can get it out without the need for an inlet removal as that looks a bit more involved. I shall see what my local Toyota dealer say now that covid restrictions are lifted a bit. Hopefully she'll fight another day. 

Thanks again for the drawings @Devon Aygo

Screenshot_20210603-205147_eBay.jpg

• 7 months later...
On 6/3/2021 at 10:56 PM, Vaughanth said:

Looks like I may have answered my own question!! 

So looking at the photo it must screw into the head as its not part of the casting (I can half see on one ebay photograph that it's been removed from a head but still hard to make it out if it's a thread behind it) so fingers crossed I can get it out without the need for an inlet removal as that looks a bit more involved. I shall see what my local Toyota dealer say now that covid restrictions are lifted a bit. Hopefully she'll fight another day. 

Thanks again for the drawings @Devon Aygo

Screenshot_20210603-205147_eBay.jpg

Hello, just spotted the same issue on my 2005 2.2d Avensis. Did you solve the problem, was the part pressed or screwed into the cylinderhead? 

Best regards, Jonas

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links