Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Faulty petrol Gauge on Corolla excel hybrid

allenns

The petrol gauge on my 2019 Corolla 2.0litre hybrid reads 3/4's even when the petrol tank is full. The dealer says they cannot find a fault on their machine system. 

They keep fobbing me off all the time so looks like court action against Toyota! Anyone else had this issue or any ideas.

As regards legal action, your contract is with the dealer who sold you the car, rather than Toyota.

2 hours ago, allenns said:

The petrol gauge on my 2019 Corolla 2.0litre hybrid reads 3/4's even when the petrol tank is full. The dealer says they cannot find a fault on their machine system. 

They keep fobbing me off all the time so looks like court action against Toyota! Anyone else had this issue or any ideas.

I think i saw something similar with the RAV 4 hybrid in the US, something to do with the shape of the fuel tank and the system displaying less than full or less range than you would expect.

10 hours ago, allenns said:

How are you determining full? actually see fuel sitting in filler pipe or when pump clicks off

On 7/1/2020 at 10:39 AM, allenns said:

Has the gauge always under read since you bought the car or is this something that only occurred recently?

• Like 2

Only recently about month ago. Gauge needle kept creeping down then stuck at 3/4's even with a full tank of petrol. As I use more fuel needle does go down. So, I have been asked to empty the tank and then refill it and see if the gauge needle goes back to FULL. 

When filling up don't push the nozzle in all the way, do you use the same petrol station and go for the same pump ?

I don't I keep the nozzle near top and fill up slowly to the brim and allow the air to settle down aswell. Tank was full but gauge reading only 3/4's. Tried it a few times now. I understand there are some issues with new Toyotas in USA same problem gauges stuck on 3/4's with a full tank of petrol. Seems that some Toyota petrol tanks like Corolla and RAV 4 distort in hot weather causing faulty gauge readings. See eventually what the dealer finds out-IF!

• Like 1

Seems to be more of an inconvenience rather than a safety risk, which is a good thing but of course this problem should definetly be rectified.

The issues in the US relate to some versions of the Rav4, and is to do with the shape of the tank.

if you Google the issue you will find articles from this forum going back quite a few years, amongst others articles out on the web. There are references to the potentiometer potentially (no pun intended) throwing an error, pin hole in the float issues, initial setting of the float being too high/low which explains why the needle takes ages to drop from full (float too low) to having loads left in the tank when indicating empty (float too high).  There are also various reset procedures that can recalibrate the potentiometer but obviously are vehicle specific.  Any and all of these issues are things any service department worth their salt should be able to test for and identify the culprit.   Ask what other tests they have done other than them plugging in the fault code reader.   If you get no joy with your dealer/service dept you can always try another Toyota garage, or raise a case with Toyota UK and ask them for assistance with the problem. Has the issue only arisen recently or has it always under read?  

• Like 1

It might needs reset only. You may try disconnecting the Battery negative terminal for overnight or 1 hr at least , then connect and drive to the petrol station, fill up the tank and check if anything better. Just experimenting, I know about RAV4 in us but never heard about Toyota Corolla. 

• 1 year later...

This is a very common problem in many Toyota's and Lexus.

I have similar issue. Even filling fuel up to brim including filler pipe my fuel gauge still shows 3/4 part empty.

to fix this i just removed Battery +ve cable for 5 seconds and put it back on and fuel gauge showed right reading.

i showed this to toyota as some time again after couple of months it started showing wrong reading but no luck as they could not find any problem

Every time this happens i have to remove +ve cable from Battery and then put it back on.

54 minutes ago, krishankhanna said:

This is a very common problem in many Toyota's and Lexus.

I have similar issue. Even filling fuel up to brim including filler pipe my fuel gauge still shows 3/4 part empty.

to fix this i just removed battery +ve cable for 5 seconds and put it back on and fuel gauge showed right reading.

i showed this to toyota as some time again after couple of months it started showing wrong reading but no luck as they could not find any problem

Every time this happens i have to remove +ve cable from battery and then put it back on.

I remember watching a video that advises against overfilling with fuel. I'm not telling you what to do, but thought I would share the link in case you are interested in the advice. The warning comes at 12:00.