Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Need Help with 2014 Toyota Yaris!

wally2014

Hi! My 6 year old Toyota Yaris is needing a lot of acceleration on starting in order to stop it from dying out. Has had DPF removed in recent months as it was blocked solid and had been dying down on several journeys. This solved the problem for about a month but now the car is struggling on start ups. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong now? My local toyota dealer will no longer help due to the removal of the DPF by my mechanic. It has been suggested by a relative that the problem could be to do with the suction control valve however my mechanic has not commented on this when I have mentioned it. Just want to avoid throwing more money down the drain! 
Thank you! 

Although it isn't illegal to remove the DPF, it is illegal to drive a car with the DPF removed, plus you risk the car failing future MOT's and possible fines.

Diesel i take it, removing the dpf and driving the car is illegal you and your mechanic can receive some big fines, No DPF = instant MOT fail

I wouldnt be suprised if the main dealer hasn't reported the car to the DVSA

What's the mileage ? why remove the dpf and not find the cause of the issue in the first place ? Potentially you're putting raw diesel through the exhaust and on to the road

Any codes ?

Oh wow, thanks to both of you I had no idea (completely clueless about cars). The mileage is around 84,000. 

So if you knew, why did you delete the dpf instead of cleaning it again and actually getting to the bottom of why the car wasn't going into a regen cycle

You have one post on here, We have no way of knowing your skill level

Any DTC codes, any testing or leak down tests on the 5 injectors or resistance testing, A SCV will throw a fault code, a 5th injector doesn't always tho

If the cat has started to fail it may collapse and it will foul the DPF and/or flow

If the DPF was blocked solid,the catalysts is likely blocked as well.

That would explain your symptoms..  There are companies that clean catalysts - how good they are I don't know.. A new catalyst from Toyota is £££s

There are plenty of used cats/dpf's you just need to get the correct one, early ones use a pressure differential system the later ones use sensors on the dpf

I’ve been running a Yaris d4d for a few years now, no issues from the dpf as of yet but the few times I’ve noticed it start a forced regeneration I’ve not switched off until it’s finished. Are there any ways to check the condition of the dpf via a diagnostic tool?

Edited by bearcub24

• 2 weeks later...

Suspect it refitted Toyota can regenerate the DPF, tell you the ash content that will stay there and check emissions figures for the Cat. Sure there's a deal to be had on a new car. But that's me.