Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTI 2006 Vibration on 3K RPM

AqibHANIF

Hi,

i have purchased a 2006 1.8 VVTI avensis around a month ago with 130K on the clock, drives bang on but have noticed heavy vibration in every gear, starts from 2700 RPM until 3100 RPM, everything under that is fine and everything over that is fine, most noticeable around 2900 RPM and 3000RPM, vibration comes from the front body, pedals and floor well. i previosuy owned a 1.8 VVTI 2005 with 270K on the clock when i sold it and never exprienced this problem. I took the car to two garages and both cant figure out what the issue is, they have both informed me that no fault codes have shown up. I have read on a some previous forums about the issue but no ones has a solution on them. Anyone else had the same issue and manage to get it sorted? stressing me out now lol

Does it do it with car stationary in neutral?

17 hours ago, mrfixer said:

Does it do it with car stationary in neutral?

No only in gear.... in ever gear it does it... no vibration when I neutral... have read on a few forms that in the Corolla 1 8 vvti same problem and the solutions is too chnage the intake manifold...  might give it a try

It is not there in neutral and so that means it is load-sensitive. If you can feel it through the pedals that means there's quite a bit of energy in it. Since its engine-speed related we can probably rule out transmission and drive shafts.

I doubt its the intake manifold.  

I'd be looking at tight exhaust mounting or exhaust touching something. Piston slap (does it change with engine hot/cold?). Timing chain rattle (quite common on this engine).  Try also running it without the drive belts in case its something like a fault on the AC compressor.

• 2 weeks later...

I had this problem, rough riding around 3K revs causing vibration at the front. Turned out to be a choked variable valve timing solenoid. Apparently cleaning doesn't always work, fitting new is the better bet. Not sure if it can be tested before fitting a new one.