Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Telescopic steering wheel on Corolla

BigRedSwitch

Hi. I'm beginning to find my Auris a bit cramped and I want a car with a bit more space for the driver. I'd like the steerng wheel to be higher than on my Auris and I'd like it to be telescopic as well.  Does a Corolla fit the bill or is the steering wheel still just up and down?  I'd like the seating to be higher too - in the Auris the higher you set the seat then the steering wheel becomes too close to my thighs.

Thanks.

Belay that request!  I'm an idiot - I've just been out to the car and discovered that the steering wheel can be adjusted telescopically and I think I've found a seat height that suits me. 

• Haha 1

Happens to all of us sometimes to miss something. If haven’t be adjusted for a long time when pull down the leaver the steering column may feel like it’s stuck this itself can lead you to believe it’s up and down only. 👍

14 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Happens to all of us sometimes to miss something. If haven’t be adjusted for a long time when pull down the leaver the steering column may feel like it’s stuck this itself can lead you to believe it’s up and down only. 👍

Thank you Tony - I think you've hit the nail on the head!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi All, seems that the Corolla forum is not divided into old'ns and the newest, so will add my Question here and bore the owners of the new breed of Car.

I've bought a 2003 T Spirit 1.4 which has not been without issue even if one owner. Anyway, I can't seem to get the Steering Wheel to extend. Not sure if this was an optional? Its OK up/down, but pull as I may, I can't get it to budge and its too close to the Instrument cluster so for a 6.1 bloke I'm turning it at arms length. Can be tiring.  Any advice. Don't want to set off the Air bag?

Thanks.

ps Only bought as my LS400 broke a rear Track Control Arm in France and is out there awaiting my visit - likely now ???

I haven’t got a Corolla but I believe that 2003 year can only adjust up and down but not reach adjustments, let’s see what some owners will report. 
Regards 

1 hour ago, Haystack said:

seems that the Corolla forum is not divided into old'ns and the newest

Not practical really.

Otherwise we would have countless sub forums - 16 in the Corolla club (incl the 2 Corolla Versos and European saloons), 5 in the Rav 4 club, 5 in the Yaris club (incl the Yaris Verso and next year 6 with the Yaris Cross), 3 in the Avensis club (incl the Avensis Verso), 5 in the Prius club (including the Prius+), etc.

My 2004 T-Spirit D4D Corolla's steering wheel can be adjusted for both angle & length. It needed a bit of an initial heave to extend it. Perhaps you could look for an on line version of a 2003 car's manual as the operation is detailed in my 2004 car's owner's manual.

Thanks.  I have the owners Manual 2004 which came with the Car inc Wallet etc, so must have been in the Showroom for a period.

It shows the up/down forward/back for Steering, but it also shows Cruise Control which my Car doesn't have., hence Question.

I'll have to disconnect the Battery (which I've just replaced with a Yuesa) and after twenty or so Minutes allowing the air bag mechanism to disconnect/deflate?, and can give it a real tug or bang.  Irritated that there is seemingly no under panel centre of the engine bay. Sides and front but no back.  Lots of dust on plastic engine cover and no doubt responsible for some rust seen on parts which may account for Steering stiffness, though as one owner Car probably never moved. (Part number / diagram if anyone knows, please) . Garages lazy and don't put back under cover to save time, no doubt.

Not sure if I can see splines of Steering by looking under the bonnet? Not the weather today. 

Interested to have a definitive answer on Steering column.

Understand not practical to have forums by model. Was thinking pre 2008 and Post 2008 (if that is the date when my model changed).

Oooops.  I bought a 2004 Manual as the one that came with the Car had sticky sweet on the rear pages. Yuk.  Now I look at the Manual for 2003 there is no extending of the Steering Wheel mentioned.  Doh!.  Perhaps it can be modified? Any sticky on this?  Funny how Toyota Lexus were putting extending Steering columns in Cars way back before(?) my 1993 LS400 but not in this Corolla model until 2004.   

44 minutes ago, Haystack said:

Perhaps it can be modified? Any sticky on this?

I think that this is the case:-

The 1999 - 2001 (old shape, E11, e.g. liftback) Corolla had hydraulic power steering and no extension for column.

The 2002 - 2004 (newer shape) Corolla had hydraulic power steering and no extension for the column. (Not sure about this one.)

The 2004 - onwards Corolla had electric power steering and an extendable column.

So changing to an extendable column off a later Corolla would likely mean changing a lot of other bits too, e.g. rack, intermediate steering column, steering ECU, extending the column switch loom etc.

Happy to be corrected, of course.

• Like 1

That does sound like a headache I think I'd prefer avoid.  Don't think I'll be a fan of the electric Power Steering. Thought it seemed a bit heavy.  Now reading about it as hadn't realised this is what exists.

1 hour ago, Haystack said:

Oooops.  I bought a 2004 Manual as the one that came with the Car had sticky sweet on the rear pages. Yuk.  Now I look at the Manual for 2003 there is no extending of the Steering Wheel mentioned.  Doh!.  Perhaps it can be modified? Any sticky on this?  Funny how Toyota Lexus were putting extending Steering columns in Cars way back before(?) my 1993 LS400 but not in this Corolla model until 2004.   

Yeah but the LS400 was a luxury premium car back then, the Corolla wasnt 

Good point, though trying to recall if my '93 reg MR2 had telescopic steering and even the D Reg Supra Mk3.  Maybe not.  The memory is not what it was.