Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RAV4 2020 - Cat Converter Query

Steve22

Hi Everyone

New poster here and new to Toyota so apologies for any dumb questions in advance!

I am currently awaiting the imminent arrival of a new RAV4 Dynamic Decuma Grey company car in the next couple of weeks. Having only had VW and Ford diesels as company cars in the past, I really wanted something different and this appeared as a welcome option on the car list. Sounded ideal as a hybrid option for tax purposes as well as the environmental benefits. I am really excited by the car although I have one reservation.

I would appreciate any guidance on whether the theft of cat converters in newer model RAV4's is as commonplace (or even possible) as they seem to be in other hybrids or is it less accessible in the RAV4? Cat con theft seems to be prevalent at the moment and getting worse due to the high metal prices and the thieves seem totally unbothered by wrecking peoples cars in broad daylight. Theoretically, I shouldn't need to worry too much being a company car but I would like to avoid being stranded on the other side of the country unnecessarily with an unusable vehicle and I doubt the lease company or my employer would pay for a CatLoc (not even sure there is one for a RAV4?).

As a secondary query, how are other RAV4 company car drivers out there enjoying their vehicle?   

Many thanks in advance, Steve

As I understand it the new RAV4 cat is accessible but I believe that the newer hybrid cars use technology instead of precious metals so are not that valuable to thieves, the problem is if the thieves don’t know that and just cut it out anyway. In general it’s the older Prius and auras and Honda jazz that get taken time and again.

i like you have had diesels for the last 15 years and have been very pleased with them but as they are now falling out of favour alsodecided that arav4 hybrid would be a good compromise. Got mine at Xmas, it was a demo as I didn’t want to wait 6-9 months for a new one. Mine is not a company car so don’t know about company tax etc but as it had a 5 year warranty bought it cash and hopefully will be able to keep it for at least that long. So far I have found the car to be smooth,quiet and lively and to date I have averaged 54mpg which is better than my old Mazda CX-5 and don’t have to worry about regens etc that plague modern diesels.

Good luck with new car

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ROCKETRON said:

As I understand it the new RAV4 cat is accessible but I believe that the newer hybrid cars use technology instead of precious metals so are not that valuable to thieves, the problem is if the thieves don’t know that and just cut it out anyway. In general it’s the older Prius and auras and Honda jazz that get taken time and again.

i like you have had diesels for the last 15 years and have been very pleased with them but as they are now falling out of favour alsodecided that arav4 hybrid would be a good compromise. Got mine at Xmas, it was a demo as I didn’t want to wait 6-9 months for a new one. Mine is not a company car so don’t know about company tax etc but as it had a 5 year warranty bought it cash and hopefully will be able to keep it for at least that long. So far I have found the car to be smooth,quiet and lively and to date I have averaged 54mpg which is better than my old Mazda CX-5 and don’t have to worry about regens etc that plague modern diesels.

Good luck with new car

Many thanks for your response ROCKETRON. If a thief is determined, they'll normally take what they want , however, it is reassuring if the converters are different and less desirable to the older ones.

I'm glad you said the car was quiet and smooth - I live in the SW but work a lot in London and around the M25 belt so spend a fair amount of time in traffic. Finally going automatic will be a massive boost and having a relaxed cabin environment will be good for the soul!

It's unscientific, but whereas I've seen lots of posts on this and other boards from people who've had their cat stolen (sometimes more than once), or know someone who's been hit, it's mainly been Prius and Auris Hybrids with one or two Lexus and the odd non-Hybrid and non-Toyota thrown in, I've never yet heard of a RAV4 being targeted (much to my own relief - so far!).

At my first service last month I did ask them to try to remove the Hybrid badges to further reduce the possible appeal of my car (to lowlifes), but they didn't seem to think it could be done without risking some paint damage.

I'd have thought if it was vulnerable, with the extra ground clearance it would be more appealing to the thieves so I'm hopeful that for whatever reason the car is not an attractive target.

My Gen3 Prius (2010) you could just detect the change from electric to engine and back again. I as driver could just about “feel” it, passengers tell me they couldn’t detect at all. My Gen4 Prius (2016) - no detection at all, smooth as silk. Obviously Toyota engineers have done their job well. As for a relaxed drive - my Prius is the most relaxed drive I have experienced, and you will probably find the same in your RAV4

Just looked under the car, the catalytic converter is a bit exposed.  However, as has already been said, it has no scrap value.  The more complicated catalytic converter is located along with the GPF in the engine manifold. 

On 7/4/2020 at 5:33 AM, Catlover said:

my Prius is the most relaxed drive I have experienced, and you will probably find the same in your RAV4

Yep, I can confirm it is.

The only people who find otherwise are those with lead boots, They tend to complain about the continuous engine note when the clog it and keep their foot right to the floor.

Thanks to everyone for your responses, very interesting and useful. Much appreciated.