Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Aygo, odd noise!

davecullen6

Like other posters I find the A/C in my X play a bit noisy , but I keep hearing what I can only describe as a high frequency noise that comes and goes, there's no pattern to it, i.e. speed/rpm/gear, it lasts about 5 seconds, i'm resisting the temptation to put radio on as it's bugging me!

Only thing I noticed yesterday is that when I switched the aircon off, for the last 15 miles of trip it seemed to disappear!

It's not wind or a brake rubbing, it's just weird and I wondered if anyone else had come across it?

Cheers

Dave

Probably the A/C compressor kicking in. You tend to 'feel' it rather than hear it. Like a metallic clunk. 

Hi,

I think you shouldn't worry.

Sound insulation was much much improved on the mk2 but it remains very simple. You can hear and feel many mechanical phenomena, especially if you are used to driving an Avensis.

Even things such as the ventilation or the engine cooling fan can be heard.

• Like 1

yes a lot of noises can occur, I get the sound of a rattling dashboard when I'm stopped at traffic lights sometimes.

Our X-Cite Build Quality is excellent,get your Dealer to fix your dash issue as it is probably due to variable idle speed.

Tel

So yesterday i went for a 20 mile run with A/C off, no noise, turned back with A/C on, and yep, it came back, so it is obviously related to the A/C compressor kicking in, seems weird that it manifests itself as it does, but at least i think i have found the source, and yes, it is a bit noisy, good wee car tho!

Could it be the belt slipping a bit as the compressor engages. It is quite a noticeable drain on BHP so must introduce a drag.

Wouldn't like to think it has a fault given bullet proof reputation of the brand, i am a bit OCD about cars being silent inside, suspect would be one of these things that a garage couldn't hear!

Radio on now most of the time

With a/c on there will be a clunk. If there's no gas on the system there'll be no clunk as I think like most cars there has to be pressure on the system.  Wouldn't worry about it.

yep it is pretty clunky, i went a 40 mile run in town etc y'day, A/C on/radio off still hear the high pitched noise every wee while, A/c off, nothing, not worried now, was just bugging me, it's a good car, i have to remember retired and fancy motors gone for good!! 

Edited by davecullen6
correction

• 1 month later...

Further to this topic, having just returned from a wee trip up to oban, 270 miles return, I have to say the A/C seems to kick in a lot, you audibly hear it coming on and off with this !Removed! annoying noise.

Ok, with radio on, or A/C off it's quiet, but never come across this before, it's really annoying, do I have a fault?

Thanks Dave